1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Delegates -- 64 Dollar Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Tell me how to run for office and i will. i have been elected once for a government office. Why not the ATA.

2. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

To be a member of the ATA BOD, you must be a life member of the ATA. To be elected to your state org you have to comply with your states by-laws.

3. smsnyder

i am a life member. Were do i find state laws? thanks

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

smsnyder, ask a director for your zone or the present delegate.

In most states, besides being a life member, all it takes is to be in good standing with the state association along with a nomination and second at the state meeting when its appropriate.

5. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Then there is the small matter of having enough ATA members with an average card to vote for you at the state shoot. Here in Missouri it is pretty simple. someone nominates, then someone else seconds, then if there are no more nominations, the motion is carried. John

6. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

If I remember correctly, here in California, not only must you be an ATA Life Member, you must also be a CGSTA (CA ATA Association) Life member and be a member in good standing for a minimum of 3 years before you can run for Director. I'm guessing there are further qualifications (I could be incorrect) to progress further up the ladder to the ATA via the State.

I'm sure someone from California will point out any errors!

7. pa pete

pa pete Member

Smsnyder, go to the PSSA website. You will find the bylaws and they
    will tell it all. "Pete" McDonough

8. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

What is the average yardage and class of the current group of delegates? From the Far West we seem to elect devoted shooters who are very competitive, primarily because they are the people who will spend the time and money to attend the Grand.

Attending the Grand is a far different proposition for people close to Sparta than those from a great distance. Some average, middle of the pack shooters are devoted to the sport for their own reason, but most are not.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Expect to use some of your own money being an officer at the state level or the ATA level. Just the way it is.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you wish to help trap shooting and eventually end up as an elected officer, that is great. If your goal is to become an officer so you can do some things your way, I would recommend not going forward.

Becoming an officer is really not too difficult. First get involved with your local club. Work hard to improve the club. Mow the grass and paint the houses without being asked. Clean out the houses and learn how to repair the trap machines. Show up the day before a shoot and work all day long. Offer instruction classes for new shooters. Volunteer to organize and run a charity shoot. Organize and run a league shoot. Find some local businesses who will support one event at a club shoot. Learn how to deal with a few shooters who are perpetually complaining about the efforts you have made to support our sport. Examples of this type of person can quickly be found on this site.

Then, at the state shoot, offer to help. You could collect camping fees. Run the practice trap. Run a shooters swap meet at your state shoot. After a few years, you will become recognized as a worker and end up in an office.
    Good luck.

Pat Ireland

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Pat: I don't think to many want to go that route. They prefer the "instant" success route.

Don

12. smsnyder

BigDon, Getting elected as state delegate is not instant success. Being a delegate is work. You must be a people person and most of all flexable. Not everyone has the knowledge, ability or time to be a delegate. I hate when people run for office and do nothing. Yes, you will often spend your own money on travel other expenses etc. but it is worth it to help the sport and the people in it. I am an average shooter and an average person with vast knowledge and experience. Maybe that's what the ATA needs. Someone with good ideas. I am a no bull type of person. I am only interested in bottom line numbers that will benifit the ATA and its members. Tjate, I could run against Frank if Pennsylvania members want me to. When is the election?

13. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

Well said Snedden

14. pa pete

pa pete Member

Smsnyder, Just don't start vast projects with half-vast ideas.
    "Pete" McDonough

15. 154

154 TS Member

Jim, it just does not pay enough period.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

smsnyder- Knowing when the election is held and the rules governing the election are part of the duties of the Delegate. If you actually do not know when the election is held, you may wish to reconsider running.

Pat Ireland

17. smsnyder

No person knows everything. That's why the president of the United States has advisors. Pat, just because you do not know when election time is does not mean professional input is not good. I bet that a many of ATA members do not know how the election is handled.

18. smsnyder

Shedden, First all you don't know me and what i have done in my life time. I would never make a comment about anyone. I think it is unprofessional. I am a consultant at the present time and have been elected to public office before. I was elected not by one person but by hundreds of people. It takes courage to run for a public office. Remember the saying Dumb like a FOX.

19. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Earl, the ATA rules spell out exactly when and how the election for State Delegate will be held. It must be held during the State Shoot and the Delegate must be a Life Member of the ATA.

20. smsnyder

miketmx, i like people with direct answers. thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.