1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Delegate meeting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ron Burdick, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

Are there any new rules or changes for next year?

Ron Burdick

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I dont know . I do know it seems a shame that ata delegates enjoy the perks of their Office but aren't willing to do the refereeing at the grand. Can some light be shed on this?

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Can you shed some light on what "the perks of their Office" are?

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Twinbirds,
    You, like many, assume incorrectly anything to do with the ATA other than shooting targets has "special perks". What keeps the ATA running are a whole host of volunteers who gladly give their time, which is money by the way, energy and support. Volunteers starting at club level are the one's who insure our ATA continues to provide a platform for national traphooting competition, without them you and your pals would be pitching pennies wondering what happened to all the clubs that are no more.

You sound like one of the eighty percent who bitches about everyone and everything never getting off your butt's except to snatch coffee or a donut off the club table when no one's looking. You pull these antics while the remaining twenty percent who are volunteers keep the clubs and ATA running for everyone's benefit, even you, a lazy bitcher who contributes nothing.

Surfer

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Twinbirds..........What state are you from?

6. Too Bad

Too Bad TS Member

Twinbirds,

I'll explain the perks the delegates get. Be one!

We get to use our vacation to handicap shooters at the state and zone shoots, most of a week.

We get to use our vacation to handicap at the Autumn and Spring Grand, about 3- weeks for me.

We get to referee shoot-offs and listen to whinners and winners.

Many delegates and other great volunteers, did referee every nite at the Grand, some more than their required night. Friday night I was here until 12:30 AM. Saturday until 10:30 PM.

If my memory serves me correctly we were in the Board of Directors (Delegates) meeting until 10:30 PM.

Many of us, the delegates, shooting has taken a hit since being elected to the "Perks Club" by our membership.

We often get phone calls from shooters in our state or out of state during dinner or just about the time we think we will have a free Saturday night.

Oh crap, did I forget we get to write a report to Trap and Field about how well "You" shot, last weekend. Well as I tell shooters in my state, our reports are "free" advertising in Trap and Field. Don't tell Terry Heeg!

And finally we get a parking place at the Grand, now that's a "Perk", just about as close as you would in any of the lots.

Be one! I love it!

Richard Luckett

Arizona ATA Delegate

richardluckett@arizonadelegate.com

7. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

Well said Richard. The perks of being the delegate are almost as good as the perks of being the state secretary.

Len in PHoenix

8. Donm

Donm Active Member

Or any State Director. In fact anyone that voluteers to be on a Gun club BOD. Junior shooting coach. Or anyone that gives their time and talents to futher our sport. Twin Birds. How many hours exactly did you give to your sport last year, this year or any time?

9. SC trapshooter

SC trapshooter Member

Yes, the perks are great, let's see, a hat and a shirt once a year. Probably get a 1099 for all those treasures.
    Had one of the pleasantries this year at the Grand, had a woman complain that there wasn't a Woman's rest room near the beer tent, another bonus of being a delegate.
    Back to Ron's question; the two yard reduction will reappear with more scrutiny both from ATA and delegates. (another opportunity to get our butts chewed on) The number of shooters at a meet will go to 25 to get a half yard and 50 to get a full yard.
    Have you ever volunteered for anything TwinBirds ?
    Jim Faber South Carolina

10. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

And you call me ungrateful! ? I just asked. Seems like the is a lot of bitterness for those that volunteered to do a job and don't see it through. Perferred parking is a perk, seems there was always a lot of empty ata delegate spaces available. Perhaps that is why there is only area delegates doing their duty. But then Policing yourselfs would be sacrilegious .you forget without the membership of the ata you guys would not have anything to control?

11. 6t6stang

6t6stang Member

Oh boy preferred parking...What a perk for the hundreds of donated hours that ATA delegates put in. I for one am thankful for the time and effort put in by my past, present, and future delegates.

Mike.

12. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Preferred parking is a perk for one

13. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

That shirt and hat cost some of us a lot of money every year. I loose out on 20k of pay at work not to mention what I spend to attend other shoots. I don't get paid to be at any shoot and attend most major shoots, Autumn, Spring, Western Grand, Golden Western, Western Zone, Grand American, Vernal, California, Wyoming, Arizona and Nevada State shoots.

My Grand Bill is probably more than you have spent to shoot in the past several years.

I also attend shoots in California at nine or so clubs a year through out the State. I am not complaining so don't take it as one. I am fortunate that the wife and I can do what we want and most of the time when we want to. Almost had to fly home this week for a court appearance of course at my cost.

Now I challenge you and others that always complain about everything and choose to never be part of a solution. There are plenty of things you can do at your local clubs, State organizations and at the national level if you choose to help and quit complaining. What has happened 10, 15, 20 years ago are lessons at this point only. A lot of good things have and will occur with or without you so be part of the solution and not the person who continually stirs the pot to create hate and discontent.

James Hammond

California Delegate

14. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Twinbrain,
    Parking volunteers in one area so they can meet as group, recieve daily bulletins and ask questions before going on task is called efficient management, not perks. You are a comedy or a very unhappy soul, you decide.

Surfer

15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

In hate to interrupt this bitch and whine fest, but could somebody address the question Ron asked when he started this thread?

16. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

A motion was made to eliminate the 18 yard class, creates too much squading problems. The Bldg the ATA offices are in is to be purchased as well. More but can't remember. Jake

17. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Rules/Changes:

Earned Yardage Table - changed lowest two attendance ranges from

15-39 to 25-49 for 1/2 yard

and 40-69 to 50-69 for 1 yard

Penalty Yardage - can be posted at the club (to allow for printed program omissions)

Break Point - change all Zone handicap break points to 90%

Allow shooters to receive more than 3 yards off in a year with Delegate and CHC approval.

Shooters without 500 singles may be given a reduction with approval of Delegate and CHC.

H code - Shooters earning 1.5 yard or more in one event cannot be reduced below that yardage for 1 year (was 2 years).

Remove language that requires score sheet to always be visible to the shooter (change reflects current practice.)

Correct language in other areas of the Rule Book that are affected by any of the changes indicated above.

2013 Grand American dates - August 7-17, 2013

AIM Grand - August 3-6, 2013; handicap and doubles on August 4th.

ATA to purchase the property at 1105 E. Broadway, Sparta IL

A 2-yd reduction will be offered again in TY13. Conditions slightly different.

State/Provincial Preliminary Handicap Champion ATA Buckle and Added Money will be available only to In-State shooters.

18. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

Also added 16 trophies to the State Doubles and Handicap Championships. Helps State Associations out.

Also a discussion about the restriction on 20 yard shooters when they squad. The one yard adjacent rule that we implemented several years a go. Will remain the same as current rule from 18 to 20 yard sqauding.

19. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

Thank you to all who provided updates. Was there any feedback about the new categories? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Regarding perks, TwinBirds' statement about "control" tells me that he has not ever been in a volunteer position...or if he was it probably ended badly. Those of us who volunteer our time as coaches, club volunteers, directors and delegates certainly do experience "control": the loss of control over our evenings, afternoons, and weekends. We give this freely to the shooters and the sport because we want the tradition of shooting in the USA to continue.

Perks? There are most definitely perks. You just have to get up off of the couch to find them.......

[​IMG]

Len Sullivan

ASTA Secretary/Treasurer

Buckeye Sportsman Club Youth Shooting Coach

20. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

V10 and cnjranch,

Thanks for the up date on the Delegate meeting.

Ron Burdick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.