1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Delagates doing good or not so much........

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hayman, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayman

hayman TS Member

I got my February copy of Trap & Field yesterday and one of the most important thing that I look for is the Regional News in my state and I would like to compliment my ATA delegate from New Jersey. Whether he is home or out of state he lets you know what's going on even during the so called off season. Keep up the great work Joe. When it comes time to vote for other State delegates shooters might want to keep this in mind. Ouch!.....

2. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Hayman.....I totally agree with your opinion of the Jersey Delegate. He ALWAYS has news about the New Jersey shooters and ALWAYS represents New Jersey in the monthly Trap and Field. It's odd that the State that throws the most registered targets in the entire ATA and has lots and lots of registered shoots virtually year around can't seem to get any regional news.

3. niagara

niagara TS Member

Uncle Sam>>What state are you saying throws the most targets?

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There are far to many Delegates, what they need is 6 or 8 split up from different zones rather than one from each state who do nothing but write articles for Trap and Field ... The Majority of the Delegates are sucking up to the EC so they can get a seat on it and stand in line for a new shotgun of their choice ... If the Delegates used a little common sense and said something when a problem arises it would be a whole different thing but most don't ... If there were less Delegates they could be more productive and get more done especially with todays technology ... To much dead weight on the BOD, thats for sure ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I enjoy the articles from our State Delegate Jim Faber here in South Carolina, and my past state of NY's Brian Whalen. Couple those with the Ontario, Canada Delegate Paul Shaw, and we get complete news from the States and Province we like to know about.

Mr. Shaw travels throughout the world shooting, yet he always finds the time to write monthly articles for his people. I believe that is really the mark of a good and dedicated Delegate.

A+ Grade for these folks who we know.

Dave in SC

6. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't think Idaho has one as we NEVER see any input.

7. perazzitmxshooter

perazzitmxshooter Member

Don`t hear anything from Pa`s Delagates only if its about him or his family!

8. Kimball

Kimball TS Member

Dave Adams, our Georgia delegate does a great job. Always responsive, helpful.

Dick Egolf

9. zinger

zinger Member

I think a delegates job should be to shoot the small local shoots so the shooters have the opportunity to voice their opinions or get information about what's going on in the ATA so if there's a vote on an issue, he/she can be the voice for their state shooters. If you've got enough time to travel the country shooting 20,750 targets while only shooting 6300 of them in your own state, then what does that tell the shooters? It tells them that what WPT mentioned above is more truth than fiction.

10. SC trapshooter

SC trapshooter Member

Terry,Well said and amen.

Jim Faber South Carolina Del.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There is no doubt a Delegate would in fact defend their position, and there are probably some that do exactly what The Kentucky Delegate (Terry Dean) says but there are many more who do nothing other than take up space ... The Delegates who in fact do as stated are the type of people who should be Delegates, not those that sit on their hands and watch as the world goes by and write a monthly article for Trap and Field like so many do ... There would no doubt have to be modifications made if the number of Delegates were cut to within reason, have to miss a few state shoots as if that would really matter ... The Shooters Police themself for the most part in most instances and very seldom does the Delegate get involved even if they are sitting right there when something happens ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Terry,

You have no idea what I know or don't know, but you think you do ... Yes, we will disagree on this one ... I do know there are a lot of people who are elected as Delegates that should not be a Delegate and only won the election because no one else wanted to be the Delegate ... I actually know a lot more than you think I do, do you ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. hayman

hayman TS Member

It would be nice to know if the ATA has any guide lines or maybe a Job Description for Delegates or does each Delegate just wing it. I was always of the opinion that Delegates throw their hat in the ring because of their love of the sport and maybe their willingness to grow the sport. I never thought that they did it for a free shirt, hat or parking space. I think delegates are well-off enough that they can buy these things,,just saying.

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Hayman, there is a "Delegates' Handbook" put together by former ATA Secretary Mike Seitz and the EC's he kept from getting themselves into too much trouble (when he could.) It is an instruction book on how the job is best approached, but the implementation is up to the personality of the officeholder and what he thinks is best for his state (a few of them) and the ATA (most of them.)

I still go to the meetings and am always impressed with the quality of the people attending as Delegates and Alternates. I think it is a job that brings out the best in people, generally.

There isn't one in ten who wants to be President, no matter what WPT says, and the idea that all they want to do is to curry favor never occurred to me when I was at the "head table" and had to answer their serious and fair questions. By the way, there was none tougher or more serious than Pipelayer. He will remember how we went hand-to-hand on penalty yardage at the Grand. He won that one and he's probably right, but I prevailed on another part, and that's worked out too. It's just one example of what learned - a group of people, working together for common goal, end up with a better result than any one of them, alone, could have done.

Neil, Past President and 25-year Delegate.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Delegates that do nothing and got elected because no one else wanted to run for the postition are the ones who are useless and they know who they are ... They do not do anything to enhance the shoots, try to eliminate problems or promote shooting by their lack of actions ... If the shoe fits wear it, in the mean time read the handbook that Neil is talking about ... If they do not have a good relationship with the State Association they cannot and will never be a good Delegate ... If they don't stand up for whats right and just they are useless ... I know one in particular that professed to be in favor of the shooters until he got elected and since sits by and does nothing when all it would of taken was a little common sense to eliminate a problem that has not been taken care of to this day ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. Neil Winston

The big difference between what someone intended as a candidate and his or her actions as a Delegate is what's in that handbook. In office, you have to follow the rules. On TS.com, all you have to do is type.

Neil

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

And what problem would that be, Bill? elaborate and kick off the week with some ATA controversey

18. zinger

zinger Member

so Mr.Winston, where does somebody find this delegate handbook to read?

19. Neil Winston

A Delegate was supposed to get one when he was elected and maybe they were sent to sitting Delegates too when the document was approved. I don't remember. And when a Delegate was given a complaint to investigate he or she was supposed to get a summary of how things should be done, though maybe that's been made unnecessary by the Handbook. Beyond that, I have no idea since I'm long out of the loop. I hope it's still in circulation; it was a lot of work, Zinger. I guess you could ask someone in charge.

Neil

20. zinger

zinger Member

ok, thanks Neil. I always thought when applying for a position that you knew what your duties were before accepting the job? I guess we'll never know then what's inside the "delegate handbook".....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.