1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA Clubs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shooter 12ga., Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shooter 12ga.

shooter 12ga. TS Member

Shouldn't all ATA clubs be using voice callers by now? They have been out for years and clubs can buy good used ones if they can't aford new ones.Shooters rather shoot clubs that use voice calls over clubs that don't.Like to hear other shooters thoughts. Shot Well Joe.

2. C1

C1 Member

I hate voice calls. I would much rather shoot with a human puller.

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

voice callers are the way to go. if good ones are used its accurate and fair. if you call pull and don't shoot . its a loss unless you gun fails or broken target. Why else wouldn't like voice callers?

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot at many different clubs over a large area. It has been several years since I have shot hand pulled targets. I have no idea why two posters above stated they preferred hand pull targets. The very best hand pullers will give some bad pulls and many targets have been lost because of bad pulls.

Pat Ireland

5. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

No more money than is being made on targets, I do not think that you can expect smaller clubs to be mandated to purchase voice release. Even used, they are 700 or more. At my home club, we have three traps, two automatics that we use for singles and handicap and one handset that we use for doubles. We have one set of voice release and I am the other set of voice release, I hear your voice and I release the target. No more than shoot ATA here, there is no way that we can afford to buy another set for the other trap.

You can not regulate each and every little thing in shooting and that is how it should be.

John

6. Harold

Harold TS Member

Like Pat, I haven't seen hand pulled targets in several years. But I hate the voice pulls, because of the number of times I have seen them malfunction. I have seen plenty of targets lost because a target came out surprising the shooter after his third or fourth unsuccessful call of pull.

7. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I am just getting back to shooting trap. The birds were being hand pulled then. I'm just used to them right now. From what I have seen I believe the voice call is a loss. Seen to many times where voice was given and no bird. Then the bird comes. Lost bird for the club not the shooter. Seen where people were after there shoot were hanging around and the voice caller was pickng up there voices and just throwing out the targets by the handfulls. The people moved back away from the mics and they were still picking up the voices. Yes it costs the club to hire a puller, but don't it cost the club when the voice activates when people are just standing around and talking. YES! it does! Unless theses voice callers have a shut orff switch then someone forgot it I guess. At this point I prefer hand pulled. Most of the clubs I shot at before there scorer would do the pulling as well, and most did an excelent job. Yes I agree there are those that are in left field, but not to many that I had found. Rich.(inPeoria,Az.)

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Pat Ireland: You should know by now that if all peple on earth agreed that something was the color red -- posters on T.S.com would claim it was "blue" and did not exist anyway. Fred

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Fred- I agree with you.

Pat Ireland

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

The voice call system [working properly] has one main advantage over any hand puller: the shooter can not claim that the system 'fast' or 'slow' pulled him so that he could turn down a target during an ATA shoot. When targets don't come out with a voice pull system, the target was either broken in the house OR [and most commonly] the shooter called too fast - not waiting the three seconds for the machine to recycle. Rule of thumb: if you wait for the pieces from the previou broken or missed target to HIT THE GROUND your target will come out. Fred

11. Harold

Harold TS Member

"When targets don't come out with a voice pull system, the target was either broken in the house OR [and most commonly] the shooter called too fast - not waiting the three seconds for the machine to recycle."

That isn't true where I shoot. I am in a league which shoots at 8 different clubs in the county, and I have seen problems with the microphones at all of them. Matter of fact, it's expected. Some people have special calls they use when the mike is balky. Some people have a routine they go through when the bird doesn't come out - bring the gun down, break it open, close it again, and call for the target. Me, I just keep hollering until I get a target.

Maybe we have the worst trap mechanics in the country around here, but I doubt it. There was a thread a few days ago about how some folks didn't want anybody else messing with the mike because they had to position the thing just so, for themselves. That suggests to me they think they have to twiddle with the thing to get it to work.

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Depends on the brand of the mic system. Outers have problems... Canterbury's seem to work just fine. It is not the trap machines and you can keep hollering. Einstein described insanity as repeating the same thing over and over again knowing that it is not going to work. Fred

13. Harold

Harold TS Member

I am talking about Canterbury. I've never seen an Outers. You can either keep hollering or quit shooting. If I am keeping score and one of the mikes isn't working right, I will press the button just like the old days. Most scorers won't do that - they'll just let you keep trying until you get a target.

Maybe it has something to do with the weather in this part of the country, I don't know, but that is just my experience.

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

We're don't throw ATA, but we went to Canterbury systems becuase of the labor issues - available volunteer help vs. paying trap help + w.c. + taxes etc...

I suppose even the poorest clubs could wrangle a few of the more well-healed folks for a donation?!

Jay Spitz

15. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

HAROLD: You can fix the speaker problems on Canterbury's by replacing the speaker wires. The speakers are fine, it is the wires that develop breaks in them. At North Hollywood Sportsman's Club we upgrade to a thicker wire [same connection] and it seems to have solved 99% of the problem. When we do have an "issue" we first tighten the connections to the speaker and the box [they oftern will come a little loose during hot weather] -- next is simply replacing the wire of which we make our own and have several replacements standing by. This simple "fix" works every time. Also, we leave the wire attached to the speakers and plastic cabled to the speaker pole -- we bring them in every day winding them carefully so as to NOT KINK the wire. With these helpfull hints you will become the "saint" of your gun club. People will worship you and burn candles in your honor. And YES [don't tell anyone], I like shooting over targets with an experienced hand puller... you can develop a rythym with the puller... a Zhen like state. Fred

16. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

If your club can't afford voice calls, then you are either not charging enough for your targets or you don't have enough shooters. Both of these are indicative of a bunch of lazy ass old farts that would rather sit around and shoot a few cheap targets than get off their butts and grow the sport.

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Let me say that I prefer shooting targets that are attained through a voice call.

With that being said let me say also that as far as I am concerned the Canterbury release systems that are being used today are not that much different than the first ones too come on the market. You would think that in the number of years that they have been on the market the company might make some improvements in the design and materials used. They don't because they don't have to they know that the clubs involved will still by them if they never improve them.

I guess I feel that the people that use these devices have a right to expect a little improvement in the design and quality especially for the price they are charging for the equipment.

Bob Lawless

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I like voice release. We had some issues with voice release not working. Had one electrician shooter check all the cables Ohm them out or what ever he did. find cables that where bad. Then he was pretty good at finding where they where bad and cut out the bad, replaced ends, all is good. I dont move until I see the target regardless of what pulling method. If it is really long or not working I will dismount my gun. ATA i will ask scorer to manually pull until a clean target comes out, then try again

19. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

BOB, better cables would be a start.

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Mac not to change the subject did you get a program from the State Association about Labor day weekend? If so it is a good shoot hope to see you there.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.