1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ata class question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I had the same questions. I think these may be the answers.

1. You can shoot "targets only" in YOUR class and not be penalized if you sign up that way. You will forfeit any prizes if you would win.

2. As an example: I was told in Handicaps (which I won't get enough targets by the PA shoot I think) my yardage is 20 so i will be penalized back to the 23 if I want to vie for any prizes. If I want to shoot "targets only" I can sign up that way.

3. 20yd line is the beginning yard line for non senior adult males.

4. I have no idea as I don't care where they class me as i know I have no shot at anything. I just want to shoot.

Like I said, I think I heard this right when I was told over this weekend.

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing what others who know more than me post.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

You need to refer to the shoot program for the shoot you are going to attend. They will outline the parameters for the target requirements and penalty class and yardage, if you don't meet their target requirements. These will vary from shoot to shoot. Bill Malcolm

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Get a rulebook or find the link to one at the ATA site above.

If you shoot a 96 in handicap you will get 1/2 yard unless there are enough shooters to cause a 1 yard punch.

16 yard singles and doubles are different events and have their own "suggested" percentages for the various classes. Both have a "known ability" clause that allows the classifier to not follow the suggested percentages if your know ability can be determined.

Penalty yardage and Penalty class must be posted in the program.

If you know that you will not have the required targets and still want to participate in the options and prizes in handicap, practice from the penalty yardage. If you can shoot 23-25 out of 25 you will be competitive, so go ahead and shoot penalty yardage. If you win you will be punch back from there and the punch will stay until a 1000 target review and/or time limit is reached.

With Singles and Doubles if you know that you may be able to break a good score above the class average then here too go ahead and shoot in the penalty class. If you win your penalty class the classifier at the next shoot you attend may or may not use the known ability clause if you still do not have the required targets.

Jason

4. locdoc

locdoc Member

maclellan1911,

As far as I know, with regards to New England trap shoots, the only one that have a minimum target requirement are the six state shoots and the Labor Day shoot a Royalston. Have not received the program yet, but I do not think that the shoot at Minute Man on the 29th of April will have any target minimums.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Go ahead and sign up at the penalty yardage. It will be good experience for you.

Instead of shooting with the short yardage hacks and old fogies, you will be shooting with experienced shooters. Pay attention and learn how things are propely done. The middle yardage and middle class shooters may no be the 'big dogs', but they didn't start shooting last week!

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Mac, for a "club shoot" at Minuteman, or N. Leo, or Royalston for that matter, there are no minimum target requirements and you will shoot at 20 yds. If it is the Mass state shoot, then that is a different story, then you will need the targets to get past the penalty B singles and 25 Cap yardage...
    at a club shoot they will likely classify you as they see is right based upon your current average, IF you have one, but since you must have shot at Holbrook's Marathon, at least they will have an idea of your ability...By the way, Westford Sportsmans Club will have two Marathons before the Mass State shoot! one on Saturday May 5th, the other on a Thursday evening, May 31st. You can shoot for prizes and money at Minuteman, with your averages they will be fair to you too!- Frank C.

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

The Westford Marathons are only about $15 or 16 /100, as cheap as it gets....Frank C.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

The rule book states that its supposed to be a certain way but depending on what the classifier at the shoot or depending on what the particular club publishes for the shoot they can basicly do what they desire.

In short dont bother with the rule book but as the club instead to see what rules they have made up and are going to follow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shoot for senior adults

ata penalty class