1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA champions seem to have something in common???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    The other day, I was looking at the cover of the March 2011 issue of trap and field magazine. It had photographs of the winners of the 2011 Dixie grand on the cover. It dawned on me that these champion shooters all have one thing in common, none of them seem to have a so called neck to speak of?

On the cover was Lloyd Beeecraft, no neck, Harlan Campbell Jr., no neck, Bob Boswell Jr. and Keith Heeg, no neck, Rick Marshall Jr, no neck, and finally, V. Tank Lunsford, no neck.

Obviously, there are champion shooters that have long necks, but in my opinion they are few and far between. Some of these guys look like a Coke machine with a head attached on their shoulders. I am built the same way, but I could never shoot like these guys.

Years ago, I shoot with Vic Reinders sometimes, as he was one of the few champion shooters that had a rather long neck and he was also rather tall. Like the great D.Lee Braun stated in his trap instruction book, "that you never wanted to fall a sleep at the switch with Vic shooting, as he will catch up to you".

What I am getting at is this, In trapshooting these men I mentioned above, seem to have the ideal build for the sport of trapshooting. Supposedly, the longer the neck, the shooter has more of a chance of lifting his or her head off the stock. Personally, I have never actually seen a shooter actually lift his whole head completely off the comb of his stock. By lifting one's head, most seem to peek up with their eyes instead of actually lifting their whole head off the comb.

So in conclusion, is their some merit in what I say, that in the sport of trapshooting your chances of succeeding at our sport, is greater if you were born with little to no neck?

Steve Balistreri

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

All the good trapshooters are big guys with no necks.....eat your way to higher scores is their motto.

Another option is to have Jeff Mainland at Kolar, or Dennis DeVault build a stock to fit pencil necked......um, shooters. Did you see the wonderful stock Dennis built for the 870, just posted?

PS: you forgot to mention Leo Harrison, Randy Ross & Dave Schaffer....grin

best....mike

3. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

And Rudy Etchen

But Frank Little was built like Vic Reinders, and this fella :)

[​IMG]

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

The one thing they all have in common is the ability to break birds.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Since i likely will never be as skinny as Frank Little or Vic Reinders, i'm eating my way towards being like Leo and the rest. I've got a hell of a start on it.

6. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Drew Hause, like the photo and the attire, do you know the year? slid Thanks!

7. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

1905 Missouri State Championship. The pic states "Washington Park" but I've also seen it captioned Elliott's (Blue River) Shooting Park (where the last GAH at Live Birds was held in 1902 - see the link)

Washington Square Park in KC is now at Pershing & Grand by Crown Center. There is a Washington Park on the Kansas side of KC also.

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Legendary Illinois Shooter Tony Biagi, Trap and skeet shooter Wayne Mayes - head is attached directly to body.

Dan Orlich, D. Lee Braun: necks.

Jimmy Heller: neck about 3 feet long.

9. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Gotta be the neck thing. Nothing to do with looking at the targets? Na.

10. at 27

at 27 TS Member

this is a theory ive heard from shooters for ages. i think its more likely that the bigger shooters were limited to the sports they could be competitive at.

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

The excess girth normally acts much like an archery stabilizer, both of which are "out in front" and cut down on vibration and torque during and after the shot. That is what I tell my wife and "friends" who comment on my lack of "flatbelly".

12. Procrastinator

Procrastinator TS Member

You've certainly discovered a big conspiracy... congratulations.

Anyways, if you actually have a neck and still think you can shoot as well as those lacking one, I'd suggest looking for a custom stock to accommodate your disability. Dennis DeVault would be a great person to call.

13. 3357

3357 Member

ATA champions also avoid over involvement in trapshooting forums.

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Steve, The neck is still there,its just hidden by fat. (not nice but true). Clyde

15. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Perhaps having no neck minimizes the ability for a no-neck person to raise their head off the gun. Kind of like the theory of mounting your scope as close to a rifle barrel as possible for greater accuracy. Less chance for variables to come into play.

John

16. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

This wasn't brought up but I think shooting 30,000 targets a year or more just mite give them a slim advantage!

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I find that the more targets that I shoot, the shorter my neck seems to grow (according to the theory above).

18. Seitz373

Seitz373 Member

As long as your mount doesnt involve stretching your neck out and bringing it down to the comb, you should be fine. The head should be upright

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.