1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA camping; is it a rip off?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by william miller, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. william miller

william miller TS Member

If you had a lease for camping at the WSRC for shoots; you will be getting your info from ATA, if you haven't already. This time around, the leases are higher, only good for the Grand; and you have less than a month to pay in full. You will now have to contact another organization to reserve camping for US Open and Fall Classic. You would think that at this time, in the present economy; the ATA would be considerate of the shooters they depend on for income; but instead they see the opportunity to fill their pockets and lighten yours. With gas prices going through the roof; cost of shells going up; and the ATA is charging more every year for shooting fees; this is no longer an amateur sport. I guess this is a good way to get the average shooter out of the sport. ATA you may find yourself with a payroll for employees and no income to pay them. Keep it up, but don't cry about the sport dying when you could have helped out the shooters instead of ripping them off.

2. missed some

missed some TS Member

or you can motel it like the rest of us, which really is cheap(grin). I am not sure who EVER said this was a cheap sport, been doing it for 30 plus years and have NEVER found it cheap. I just started going to the grand after it moved closer, i shoot less now due to son shooting, still cheaper than bass fishing!!I still find it the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I wish I could afford a camper and have a chance to stay on the grounds of the shoots I go to, but do whatever it takes. mark crist

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You mean the ATA is only thinking of themselves. No way. Couldn't be. I'm being sarcastic of course. I personally sent them an email the other day telling them how they are dropping the ball on this and potentially loosing shooters. I see now they don't give a shit. Very nice. Hell i don't even camp i just care about my fellow shooters. So anybody who thought(myself included) that the camping being handled by the ATA would be a plus for the camper because its out of the crooks of IL Governments hands was made a fool of. My fault for being so stupid. Jeezz it just never ends!!--Matt

4. william miller

william miller TS Member

The only shooters/campers who will not be affected are the ones who did a 10 year lease. This new mess doesn't affect them; they still have all the shoots. When you add up the cost under the old lease, it cost about $16 a day; now it will cost about $33 a day for the Grand, only. I also checked about reserving my spot from the company that IL has placed over the other shoots; and it said my sight wasn't available. I know that is still cheaper than a motel; but it is the idea of not being given the same amount of time. I know that any sport is expensive; but it does take away the joy of shooting when you are retired, and depend on Social Security; which is another story of being screwed by the government. The other thing that makes this a profit for the ATA; if you don't give them 60-90 day notice of intention to use; they will sub lease the spot and keep all the money!!! This is not just an opinion; it is stated as such in the new contract.

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Yet another reason to spend my shooting $$ at the _______ _______ .

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I don't know. I can't get anyone at the ATA office to get back to me. I don't know if I'll even have a chance to get back in the spot I've had since the beginning. I'll just have to continue trying until I have an answer, yes or no.

Barry C. Roach
    17 50780 Life
    #2000 Illinois Life
    36 year continuous participant in the Grand American

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Barry,

I assume you've contacted Heather at the ATA regarding camping, right?

Her contact information is at the link above.

8. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

Barry,
    I think we "talked" about this a day or so ago.
    Guess things have changed. Maybe we (4 shooters) should try to get a spot in Ohio. The ATA should keep it's members informed, thanks, anyway.
    Guess this year we will not be allowed to attend the Grand, spots reserved. It will be the ATA that will loose on this.
    Thanks,
    Grif

9. Barry C. Roach

I just forwarded my renewal request, originally sent to Ms. Johnson, to Ms. Henry. Thanks for the info, V10.

10. william miller

william miller TS Member

IT would be nice to be able to think and ponder about this for 7 months like the ATA did; and pay when we have time to think about it, instead you have 3 weeks. ATA is screwing over 110 people; can you imagine how it would have been if it effected all 1000 campsites; not just an unfortunate few? Maybe, something could have been done to protect the poor shooter, reminds me of the saying; the rich get richer, the poor get poorer. Thank you ATA.

11. porky

porky TS Member

It's all because of the oil price increase or something. Maybe the price of Kreighoffs went up. Must be something really serious for the ATA BOD to screw their fellow constituents again.

12. william miller

william miller TS Member

This is the only lease contract, I have ever seen that requires payment in full, at the signing. Lease a car, building; or house and you pay by the month, even a year at a time would have made it easier to swallow. Yes, we knew this was coming; but did not expect to be shafted on the Open or Fall Classic. After constant inquiries about the leases; they show us, once again; that ATA is only worried about their pockets. I think it will be interesting in 5 more years to see how this works out, when all leases are up for renewal. By then, you may only have 24 hours to respond!!!! Don't you love the politics that are in every part of our lives!!!!

13. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Like he said

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Get on the phone and start calling the ATA President at 2 or 3 AM.....maybe he'll get the message that something needs to be done...

Curt

15. william miller

william miller TS Member

Curt, and smsnyder; you both have just made my day. Your posts say it all. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! Now, for some early morning calls; I'm retired; I can stay up all night if necessary!!!! Best idea I have heard on how to let the ATA know how it feels to be shafted!!!!

16. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I normally stay of these type threads, but this time I cannot help myself.

Does the ATA need to quickly get information and contracts into people's hands? Absolutely! Is it all their fault? I don't think so as the IDNR and the ATA just agreed very recently that the ATA would take a piece of the responsibilities for Sparta camping. I am not sure of all the details, and I doubt everyone knows all the details also.

What I do know is that for every year I have had a campspot reserved and paid the IDNR has delivered on me using my spot for any of the days I have wanted it. I am not aware of anyone who has had a contracted spot that was not provided a campsot. Has anyone actually been denied use of a contracted campspot?

Once any contract expires, new terms are negotiated and agreed between the parties. If one party does not agree to the new terms, there is no contract. People knew the 5 and 10 year pricing structure and had ample time to read the contract terms before they made their selection of duration and signed.

I understand people being unhappy with less days use for new contracts, but I don't think that is ripping off people.

Flame away............

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Missed Some: You can have fun with your clothes off? First I ever heard of it...

18. william miller

william miller TS Member

To D. Rackley; there were several in our camping area that were told at the 2010 Grand; by IDNR; that ATA would be taking the entire camping lease program over; this didn't just happen in the last couple weeks. The problem is that it took them 7 months to come to a decision that affected 110 people; and once they made up there minds; they want the money; immediately; no questions asked. There are also several in our area who used their site for all 3 of the events, pertaining to the lease; now; we have only 1 time to use it. We have been trying since August 2010 to get at least an answer about using the same site for the Open and Fall Classic; and it was closed before we even had a chance to try and reserve the site. Our lease stated that at the end of the 5 yr term, we had the option to renew for another 5 year lease; but that didn't happen. Somehow, I miss seeing how you think the ATA is being fair in how they have handled this; and yes; the IDNR have done a good job; sorry they felt it was necessary to let the ATA handle it. After all the problems the ATA have experienced in the last couple years; they once again have shown their greedy side. Good luck with your site; hope you are one of the lucky ones not to be screwed by the ATA.

19. jdomas

jdomas Member

Is it a rip off? Maybe, but I will still renew my lease as the other options are much less attractive.

John D.

20. Barry C. Roach

The ATA office has responded to me. They're working on it and that's all I wanted to know, for now. The Grand is my vacation and I love to spend time with my shooting buds and many of the people I have met and enjoyed through the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

atacampsiteleases