1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA bucket list

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

My bucket list includes shooting at the Grand American. I am just a C shooter but would like to shoot with the big boys, if only for a few days. I checked with ATA but didn't find the info that I needed.
    Do I have to reach a certain level to qualify to shoot at the GA? Does it take more that just a healthy wallet? Where do I register? How do I find necessary accommodations while there?
    I know that many of you have done this. Please help.

John

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The Grand is just like any other shoot. Nothing is required to qualify. Just pay your fees and go out and shoot.

The program will be posted on the ATA's website about the 1st of June.

There are plenty of accommodations in neighboring towns. Fairview Heights/O'Fallon have the most.

There will be plenty of threads on here related to the Grand in the coming months.

3. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

If you shoot registered trap and belong to the ATA you can shoot at the GRAND. Bring money and be ready to have the trap shooting experence of a life time. You probably won't shoot with the big boys, they shoot with their select squad members, but they might be in the squad ahead of you.

4. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

2016 Olympics

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

jmac_cope:

As previously noted, a current ATA card and money is all it takes to shoot the Grand. There is however, one caveat. You must establish your average(s) and handicap yardage with a specified minimum number of targets. If you're short, the classification folks will assign you a penalty class and yardage.

Note to all:

It's late, I'm tired, and I don't have an old Grand program handy. I think the minimum required targets to avoid penalty classification is 1000 for each discipline in the current target year. Right???

sissy

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sissy,

That is correct on the minimums. 1000 of each that you wish to participate(Singles, Handicap and Doubles).

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

But, if your already at 25 I believe there is no penalty. Singles, your going to have to shoot 200 clean anyway...

8. open choke

open choke TS Member

I heard in the big state shoots that D class shooters even do 100 straights.

Sounds like sandbagging to me?

I'm in it more for the fun and hobby locally and like the ATA events cause it organized and you get an average

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.