1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA average question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

I have a question regarding how the ATA counts LEAGUE TARGETS that DON'T COUNT towards your average but go towards target count to NOT GET a classification penalty at the bigger shoots.

Here is the real question as weird as is sounds.....

If these targets DON'T counts against your average then how to they PREVENT you from being placed in a class that you don't belong in?

The way I see it is why bother keeping the league scores seperate (if they are; I'm going by what I was told by the local ATA guy).

Some of these LEAGUE targets have posted on my ATA score sheet online and its reflecting into my 2012 season average; so I'm confused by what I was told.

Can someone clear this up for me? I don't know how much of what I have posted is true or not.

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"If these targets DON'T counts against your average then how to they PREVENT you from being placed in a class that you don't belong in?"

Well choke if that was actually the case then I don't believe the rulebook would say the following.

C. CLASSIFICATION

1. For 16-yard targets and Doubles, shooters should be placed in three (3) or more classes, according to their established average and/or known ability. A new shooter may be assigned to any class in 16-yards and Doubles events, at the discretion of classification personnel until the shooter establishes his/her known ability.

a. To arrive at known ability the following should be taken into consideration as far as such information is or can be made available:

(1) Official registered targets (abnormally low scores should be disregarded). Averages of all registered shooters are compiled and published annually.

(2) Non-registered scores including Shoot-off scores, non-registered events, practice scores, etc.

(3) Any other information bearing on a shooter’s ability to shoot and break targets.

With that being said I would ask you if the person that told about the targets realizes that they don't give you an average in numbers. They do however establish your classification by "Known Ability" which might in effect be your actual average.

I have included a link to the ATA rulebook above. You might want to browse through it when you have the time. It does answer a lot of the questions that pop up.

Bob Lawless

3. 870

870 Well-Known Member

OpenChoke:

I am going to assume you are talking about "registered league targets" since they count toward penalty target minimums at ATA shoots. You are correct that they don't get mixed in with your regular average on your card, but technically they still can be used in classification. There is a even a line on the annual summary each year for you league average.

4. open choke

open choke TS Member

Yes; registered league targets.

But why now when I' in my ATA account they show up like if it was a normal shoot in the spring & summer and not a winter league?

Also how about my ATA card?

Do I list them in date order or make seperate columns for each? There is more space on the card than I will fill up until the next target year

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

They are registered targets, just tracked separately. You shouldn't mix them in on your card, use a separate card or just a separate spreadsheet etc. They are treated the same for classification, just tracked separately. As far as the Shooter Info Center - I think they are shown separately if you click on a year and then on the detailed "printer friendly" report available after you use your log-on.

6. open choke

open choke TS Member

Thanks for clearing that up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.