1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA asks for Grand trophy back

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pullbangloss, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Not sure what the rule is on this one but I'd thought I would put it out there for some feedback.

I've got a friend who won a trophy at the Grand this year. He had to stay over and shoot off for it but eventually won. The trophy was very nice and truly one of the highlights of his career.

Now comes the problem. He was sent an e-mail today, from the ATA, requesting that he send the trophy to another individual who won. Apparently the ATA messed up the scores and somehow forgot about the other individual who won.

Now comes the tough part. This gentlemen spent money on shells for the shoot off and is now asked to spend his own money to ship the trophy to the other individual who the ATA had seemed to forget about.

He feels bad but is stuck in a lose - lose situation. He feels bad for the other guy but at the same time feels the trophy is his since he was called to the shoot off for it and won fair and square.

My thoughts are this is the ATA's issue, not his. Aren't all scores final 45 minutes after there posted?

Just wanted to throw this out there and see what you guys think.

By the way, keeping the names and trophy out of it not to get the other party's in the mix.

Regards,
    Matt Ski

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

This happens now and then with the telephonic shoots of the Central Zone. Our policy has been to pay for another trophy (I even had to have a column for it when I was treasurer) and try to work out some reasonable story for T&F. Joan Davis, for example, was always reluctant to show a set of scores which were obviously wrong, I think because she thought that T&F would be assumed to have made a typo, not that the Central Zone had screwed up. Her solution was to not show the scores. It was fine with us.

I do not know the details of the cited case this year at Sparta, but I'll tell you this: the Central Zone never would have asked for a trophy back when we screwed up. It's bite the bullet time, admit your mistake, try to limit damage, and take your lumps.

Added edit: Our timeframe was often different, though. We hardly ever suspected any problem until Sandy Tidwell started going through all the data I would give her to put together a story for T&F, She would then send an email with a start like "Oh, by the way. . ." and I knew we had some public relations work ahead of us.

Neil

3. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Ooooh, That hurts. I would want an explanation of how they "forgot" someone else won that event.

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

All the big shoots that I go to SAY STATE SHOOTS once the scores are posted they stand. In some cases once the scorer has the sheet signed it stands.

He was called to a shoot off and won. No one said anything and he went home with the trophy. Done deal. Its the ATA problem and not his. Let the other guy and the ATA fight it out. As you said he won fair and square.

Just shows how bad the ATA has gotten. OOOOOPPPPPSS we made a mistake and now YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. YEAH RIGHT.

Tell your friend to stand his ground and not give up the trophy. He won.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I agree with Neil in the way that it should be handled.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Would the ATA resort to email notices for something like this? Sounds fishy to me.. Seems they would send a letter to the shooter in question explaining the circumstances.

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I don't know that the ATA has e-mail addresses - of course I was a loser at the GA so I do not know if providing an email address is required when picking up a GA trophy.

This smells more than a bit fishy to me. I would call the ATA office and speak to someone there.

8. hettinger

hettinger TS Member

Sounds like a fishy story to me. I can not beleive that this is how the ATA and or the trophy people would handle this situation.

I would say they would do just as Neil has mentioned.

Mike Hettinger

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Without a lot of details, I'd say give them both a trophy, list them a co-winners. Drive on.

10. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

I recieved an ATA trophy from the souhtwestern Zone. Got a letter from the ATA to send it back as the trophy company had sent me the wrong one. the trophy was the one for the event I won so I wrote back that I would return it when I recieved the new one.
    Never heard from them again. ATA Offical told me of a Man that won his class trophy at the same event recieved a Ladys Trophy. IF the Trophy company messed up they should make it good. Not the ATA. Allen

11. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The Grand American is not held in several locations at the same time, it's all at one place and at one time. The only possible way this could have happened is if one shooter had a better score than the guys in the shoot-off.

If I was the winner of the shoot-off, I would keep the trophy. The ATA, or more specifically the shooter, needs to prove that there was a mistake.

An email is not acceptable proof.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Absolutly do not send it back on his dime. They screwed up, they can make it right. Buy the other guy a trophy and let your friend keep the one he EARNED. Thats what i think should be done. Nobody asked me though.---Matt

13. BigM-Perazzi

'Nobody asked me though.'

Yes, They did...

'Just wanted to throw this out there and see what you guys think. '

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Possession is 99% of the law. It's yours, you earned it. Congratulations.

Wayne

15. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

An email notification for an issue like that and asking for your friend to not only give up the trophy but to send it to someone else at his or her own expense? Personally, I don't believe the ATA does business like that. I would tell your friend to phone the ATA office and speak with someone to confirm the email. I'm betting your friend finds out it's a hoax.

16. sootballs

sootballs Member

I guess I look at it a little different. If someone else shot a better score than myself, but I was mistakenly put in a shootoff, I would not feel like a winner anyway. I won a shoot off, but I didn't win the event. I wouldn't want the Trophy if I knew I really did not win it. I would not feel obligated to mail it back on my dime, but I wouldn't really see any point in keeping it. Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't be disappointed and a bit angry, but what good is a Trophy that really belongs to someone else. Just my 2 cents.
    Jim

17. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

Keep your trophy!!!!!!

18. BigM-Perazzi

easy enough. go to RJSTUART.COM and look up the winners list for that portion of the Grand... If his name is still there, fo-get-a-bout-it....

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

BigM---Thanks for clarifing the request for even my opinion. I'm just use to people saying "who asked you?" LOL --Matt

20. BigM-Perazzi

lol just here to 'Serve and Protect' lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.