1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA and the NRA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gjmen, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

My local gun club requires a NRA membership to join and renew. How many of you out there think the ATA should require a NRA membership to join and renew? gjmen

2. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

What does the ATA have to do with the National Restaurant Association ?????...Uncle Sam ,Pa.

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Looking at most ATA shooters, I would say a lot.

4. DocJim

DocJim Member

Not a bad idea. See the editorial in GUNS & AMMO, Febuary issue.
    AJ

5. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I believe it should be Mandatory for membership in the NRA before you join ANY shooting club. The NRA is the only reason we still have our guns.
    JJJ

6. Trap4

Trap4 Member

JJJ--I second what you said.

Trap-4

7. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

It would be fine with me, but what would become of all the freeloaders???????Roger

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Let me see if I have this straight. The majority of the gun grabbers are Democrats the party that is one seat away(in the Senate)from a Filibuster proof Senate. The same party that that has majority rule in the House of Representatives also has a setting President.

Now you people feel that those that have gun rights and the ability to enter a competition need more restrictions. You don't like it when you are told you need a special permit to own certain types of weapons and by the look of things soon certain types of ammunition(that which will be numbered and taxed).

Yet you are willing to tell people that they must join the NRA before they can shoot ATA targets. Do you also believe that this type of action will encourage new shooters to join the ATA?

Will refusing to join the NRA then allow them to exercise their second amendment rights. No you are all advocating more second amendments restrictions. Something that is as far as I am concerned out of the question it will make us no better than the gun grabbers.

I suggest you all think about what the words require and mandatory mean when used in ways that they should not be.

Bob Lawless

9. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

"No you are all advocating more second amendments restrictions."

I believe you are incorrect. The Second Amendment only pertains to government restrictions.

John

10. Trap4

Trap4 Member

lET ME GO ONE STEP FURTHER ON WHAT JJJ SAID, AS THE NRA IS THE ONLY ONE THAT I KNOW THAT IS FIGHTING FOR OUR RIGHTS TO OWN FIREARMS, WHY NOT MAKE IT MANDATORY TO BE A MEMBER TO PURCHASE A FIREARM.

TRAP-4

11. ivanhoe

JohnBT

"I believe you are incorrect. The Second Amendment only pertains to government restrictions."

Good point so are you saying that if the government clears you to purchase a firearm(nics check)that you feel that it is proper for the governing powers of all disciplines of shooting to require each individual to join the NRA in order to shoot what ever discipline they wish to shoot in competition?

Tell me why the NRA should have any bearing on the ATA and their shooters ability to register targets?

Better yet just what the )@%& are you saying?

Bob Lawless

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

The ATA should encourage membership in the NRA (it does do this) but not require it. And, the NRA should not require membership in the ATA before becoming an NRA member.

I remember fondly the cattle man from Missouri (Willis C.) who healed many of the festering wounds between the NRA and the ATA.

Pat Ireland

13. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Perhaps if the NRA didn't beg for handouts several times a month, they would hold on to their existing members. Dale

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I did not become a member of a local club specifically because NRA membership was mandatory.

15. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Skeet2Day, Just what are your Philosophies on Gun Ownership that the NRA does not represent? Would like to know.

Trap-4

16. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If you cant afford $35 dollars you cant afford to shoot targets. Nobody made me do anything. Been a Life member 25 years. Still send them money. Jeff

17. ivanhoe

bigbore613

"If you cant afford $35 dollars you cant afford to shoot targets."

Is that your opinion or is there some unwritten law that you are quoting. It isn't bad enough that those in this thread want to tell others than the must join the NRA.

Now you take it upon yourself to decide how they should spend their money. There is no limit to the Balls that you people have with no right to have it.

Bob Lawless

18. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If you dont have enough sense to already be a member theres no hope in trying to talk sense to you anyway IMHO. Jeff

19. warren

warren Member

Pat Ireland has it right.

warren

20. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I here the words "I'm a gun owner and I don't agree with the NRA on alot of there issues" all the time. There's also the people who don't own/shoot handguns that can't see the need for them. Then there are the people who don't know the difference between "assault rifles" and there Remington 742 or 1100 trap gun. These are the people the gun grabbers love to focus on. I myself can't say that I agree with everything the NRA says or does but that doesn't stop me from being an NRA member and supporting them. It is the ONLY organization that has the power to stop bad legislation. To require membership to join gun clubs is not out of line. To require NRA membership to join ATA is. That being said I think anyone who is into the shooting sports enough to be an ATA member should be smart enough not to fall into the groups I mentioned before.

Joe Kipper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.