1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

ATA/AIM picking up empties

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CLP101, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

My daughter wants to start shooting trap. We have an AIM club nearby(Elysburg, PA) and will be using a 390 20ga that my dad has given to her. I have never shot ATA events, but have heard that you are not allowed to pick up your empties. Can you give me the low down on the rules for this. Do you use junk hulls when shooting these events if money isn't on the line?
    Thanks,
    Proud Papa

2. md-11

md-11 TS Member

You can get a shell catcher for her gun and then you can save all the shells she shoots if that is what you want to do. They are inexpensive and easy to use. We put one on my sons 3901.

Jeff Daigneau

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

There is no direct ATA rule against picking up empty hulls. That rule is usually imposed by the clubs and is usually stated as "If the hull hits the ground it becomes the property of the club."

The "indirect" ATA rule that would apply is that picking up empty hulls could be construed as "Disturbing the harmony of the shoot."

The "direct" ATA rule which she could be in violation of by creating hulls that need to be picked up is Section IV, J, 15 which states "15. All guns used by contestants must be equipped, fitted and utilized so as not to eject empty shells in a manner that substantially disturbs or interferes with other contestants."

So, get her a shell catcher, and thus avoid violating Section IV, J, 15.

And then read the Rule Book (see link above), so you can avoid any other problems.

Enjoy

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

There's no problem at E'Burg with picking up empties.

When I attend their State shoot I resupply with empty hulls by walking the line and culling through the tubs of empties behind each scorer's chair. Move the tubs away from the action so as not to create a distraction and fill wad bags with once-fired anything-worthwhile hulls.

MK

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

He's not asking about taking empty hulls that have been picked up by the trap help. He's asking about picking up your own empty hulls after each round.

6. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

Thanks everyone. I started reading the rule book but couldn't find anything specific, so i asked. Your right V10, I dont want to give away my good hulls. If I had to leave them id use steel winchesters. What about shooting doubles? Can you not use semi's in doubles?

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

You may have a bit of a problem finding a shell catcher for a 20 ga. You may have to resort to the old rubber band trick if all else fails.

JK

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

You can use a semi-automatic for doubles, but most that do have a "rivet" or similar device welded on the receiver to deflect the hulls downward. Otherwise you run the risk of having shells hit the shooter next to you.

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

<blockquote>"He's not asking about taking empty hulls that have been picked up by the trap help. He's asking about picking up your own empty hulls after each round."</blockquote>Yeah, I understand that.

My apparently-hard-to-grasp point is that they don't care if you take other peoples' empties after the help picks them up so it's unlikely that they would even blink at someone picking up their own as long as they didn't hold up the progress of the process.

MK

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

And you're sure they don't mind, right?

You've asked them and they said "Sure, help yourself"?

11. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

CLP101 - Can't wait for you two to come and shoot with us. We practice every Wednesday around 6pm. Ask for Steve Ross he is one of the coaches.

12. missed some

missed some TS Member

usually when you pick up your own, it slows things down.......if everyone did it it would be a cluster bust, fair for one fair for all...but some clubs let you take the ones the trap help has already picked up, have ya noticed when they do this? There is nobody shooting on that bank at the time so as not to "slow" things down. BUT you are talking about an orginization i don't participate in, AIM may have different rules.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mark--You are just a little bit too old for AIM i believe. LOL

14. missed some

missed some TS Member

that and they would beat me up pretty bad on the score board!!

15. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

<blockquote>"You've asked them and they said "Sure, help yourself"?"</blockquote>Roger that. I put the question to PSSA VP Skip Klinger a few years ago asking what they did with the empties. He replied that they chuck them in the dumpster and to help myself. Just don't interfere with the shooting.

MK

16. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Then have at it.

But that still wasn't what his question was about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.