1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ATA - A Modest Proposal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ted K., Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Well, let me try again. I posted this a while ago,and the thread devolved into a discussion of taxes, compensation, pride and humility. There was no comment on my proposal itself. I recognize that taxes, compensation, pride and humility are very interesting subjects (and very easy to comment on), but they don't have much to do with my suggestion. So here it is again:

-------------

The more I read about this, the more I fear that the phrase "Tempest in a Teapot" may apply. The expenses don't seem particularly out of line to me, and the rest of it seems to be more a matter of disclosure than anything else. A heavy-handed approach to this issue could easily deprive the ATA of the services of some highly qualified and very helpful people.

Some judge once said, "Sunshine is the best disinfectant." With that in mind, I would like to suggest this solution:

The ATA membership should be polled (in writing) to determine whether the bylaws of the ATA should be amended to provide that

1. Detailed audited financial statements of the ATA shall be prepared annually and published in such a manner that they are readily available to the ATA membership.

2. All transactions (including reimbursement of expenses) between the ATA and its officers and members of its governing bodies (identifying each such officer and member and the amount of each such transaction) shall be disclosed in a supplement to the ATA's financial statements, whether or not such information is required by generally accepted accounting principles.

3. The contribution of a retiring President of the ATA to the Association's welfare shall be recognized by delivery to him or her at the end of his or her last term of office of a suitably engraved gift costing no more than $-----. No other officer or member of a governing body of the ATA shall receive any gift, emolument or other form of recognition of service, except one costing less than $100.

4. The foregoing amendments cannot be modified, supplemented or repealed except by a vote of the membership.

I would suggest that these changes be submitted individually and not as a package, so that members can vote on them separately.

Ted K.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Thats the way it should of been in the past, no secrets ... I agree with you 100%, except I do feel the expenses are excessive and that they are not entitled to ride on the backs of the members of the Association ... If they cannot afford to be at a meeting at a place where they would probably be anyway to attend the shoot, teleconference from home ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Reasonable and prudent expenses only, not this crap that is occurring presently.

Your other items have merit.

Question is, will the delegates do the right thing? Will the EC do the right thing?

Curt

4. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

The point here is that once the expenses, etc. have to be disclosed to the whole membership a self-regulation process will take hold.

Ted K.

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I second the motion. All those in favor?

WNCRob

6. perga1

perga1 Active Member

7. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Our opinions about whether the expenses are right or wrong don't matter. The BIG issue is that the ATA President and EC are violating federal tax laws. We may find outselves without any ATA at all if they don't make a change quickly.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Won't matter, the hole in the Ozone layer will destroy us all....

9. blacklab

blacklab Member

For years I was against Capital Punishment. Now I have changed my mind. I think everyone in the Capital should be punished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.