1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Assist Please-Bondo ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GBatch_25, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I need to build up a PFS grip and Bondo is the obvious choice. Since I've never used it before, I'd appreciate any advice. Do I need an aspirator? Should I use it outside?

Are there alternatives ?

Thx.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Bondo will work. But here are two alternatives

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=582&cat=307&page=1

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=8497&cat=1654&page=1

The glove I have not tried. The stick on palm swell does a poor job (MHO) if your stocks grip is checkered.

One guy used hot glue and it worked for a reasonable time before starting to come loose.

Rock

Jim

3. ABH

ABH Member

Gene,

Use Bondo in the garage. It has a strong odor.

ART H.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

No need for a respirator but you will need a mask when you sand it. Bondo is easy to work with, you will need the right sand papers and a spaghetti file would be helpful and an applicator ( squeege) I am an old body man Gene, call me if you need help

5. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gene, if you remember the MX2000RS PFS grip I modified and had dipped, I used a product from Ace Hardware called Raycrete. It's a 2 part polymer that was easy to shape and mold and is much stronger and more resilient than bondo. I just roughed up the places on the grip before I put it on. I extended the grip and built a perfect palm swell with it. I would use it again. Harv Shell
    100_1680.jpg?1288265513

100_1682.jpg?1288265601

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Plastic filler works fine. No need for anything special. And it's cheap and easy to work with.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

There is a product out there called "kneadtite (sorry if the spelling is wrong)" that is a 2 part epoxy that is in the form of a putty. You simply just work it around in your hand to activate it then form it the way you want to. It doesn't hardly have any odor and it very durable. It sands and finishes up like regular body filler.

It may be known by other names, so just take a look at the local hardware store.

ss

8. gordy h

gordy h Member

I used the Kneadatite for a palm swell on my P gun works great and had it on for years now. Google it, I got mine on line. Butch H

9. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I have used Bondo and the Kneadtite epoxy putty. I think the epoxy putty is much more durable...SMOKIT

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've used Kneadtite to form a grip, I put some saran wrap over it so I could grip and squeeze it into exactly the right shape without getting on my hands. Worked great and left a nice smooth surface as well.

11. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Thanks guys. Off to Ace.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I would go with Bondo unless you want to add weight. The epoxy putty , commonly called plumber's putty, will be heavier.

13. 700X-user

700X-user Member

plumbers putty doesn't harden! I think you have the name confused with something else.

Ed

14. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

What's with the right hand fetish?

15. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

700X-user, that stuff goes by a variety of names. It comes in shades of grey and black. You can find it in the plumbing section at Lowes. It is also usually on the counter of every automotive store. Sometimes advertised using it to stick penny's, golf balls, pvc pipe and all sorts of stuff to pop bottles. It has been around forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.