1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Assault Weapons Ban Signed By Clinton in 1994

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by BT-100dc, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I believe everyone out there knows that Obama has stated that he will reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban bill if given a 2nd term. Some historical information may be of value. The bill was actually titled "1994 Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act" signed by Bill Clinton on 9-13-94. This bill was numbered HR4296 which originated in the U.S. House. The vote occurred on 5-05-94 216 favored passage while the nays were 214. Now comes the good part: 177 Democrats or 82% voted for the bill plus 38 Republicans and 1 Independent (aggregate Rep. and Ind. votes were 18%) voted with the Dems for passage of this stupid law. The bill was sponsored by Rep. Chuck Schumer (D-NY); anybody heard of him? Co-sponsors included Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Conyers (D-MI) and H. Waxman (D-CA) to name a few. N. Gingrich opposed the bill. The bill was never voted on in the Senate. It had a sunset clause, unless renewed, of a 10 year period. I know that there are some who will argue that Obama is better than Romney on this issue but I'll argue that Obama has made his intentions clear (much clearer than Benghazi...) that he'll get this reinstated if given a 2nd term; I must believe him. Let the Romney haters loose for comments. BT100dc

2. 548

548 Guest

Romney -vs- Obama

What's the difference you ask...

Answer: Romney is the only one who has signed a bill into law banning assault weapons.

But you all have a SEVERE case of Romnesia.

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

And this ban sunset in 2004 during Bush administration, ending the most noticeable Pre-ban/post ban version of the AR, and magazine capacity restriction by Federal law.

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

And when Romney signed the bill (in a very liberal state), it actually relaxed part of the state gun law.

5. Jeffnet

Jeffnet TS Member

548, I don't understand why you are on this pro-gun, site?????

6. Jeffnet

Jeffnet TS Member

548, I don't understand why you are on this pro-gun, site?????

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

But the ban did not work as intended.

It could not remove the ownership of the guns out there and just before the mag size limitation took place, millions were produced and warehouse and since they were made prior to the date of the ban, the mags made before hand could still be sold......of very good prices by the way.

And if any future bills like that come forward, both AR's and high cap., mags, plus any other inclusions will sell in the hundreds of thousands.

Then there will be the black market sales. Remember criminals do not pay attention to minor details like breaking laws. Where there is a market, it will be filled.

8. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

548:

The original Assault Weapons Ban Law in Massachusetts was originally passed by Governor Cellucci in 1998. Look it up. The Massachusett's law was re-stated in 1994 and signed by Romney due to political reasons with the Democrat supermajority. In pro-gun and in my old age I have seen an overwhelming amount of liberal Democrats push gun control. Look at Obama's Supreme Court nominees; the last 2 ARE NOT PRO-GUN. It will only take replacing one of the conservatives by an Obama and we're screwed. I've already early voted in Ohio and I SUPPORT Romney and Ryan. I also voted against S. Brown who is not a pro-gun incumbent. BT100dc

9. oz

oz Active Member

odumbo has just said that he WILL re-institute the assault weapons ban. Watch FOX news and you will see this stuff. If you want to keep your guns vote for Romney.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"The Massachusett's law was re-stated in 1994 and signed by Romney due to political reasons with the Democrat supermajority.</i>

What reasons, exactly?

11. Brian in Oregon

HR4296 died in the House. It never made it to the Senate, therefore the Senate never passed it, thus it never went before Clinton to sign.

The legislation that actually passed was HR3355, The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, sponsored by U.S. Representative Jack Brooks of Texas, the bill was originally written by Senator Joe Biden of Delaware, passed by Congress and signed into law by President Bill Clinton. This contained the same language as HR4296, but was added as Title XI, subtitle A, Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, commonly know as the Assault Weapons Ban or the Semiautomatic Assault Weapons Ban.

Introduced in the House as H.R. 3355 by Jack Brooks (D-TX) on October 26, 1993

Committee consideration by: House Judiciary

Passed the House on November 3, 1993 (voice vote)

Passed the Senate on November 19, 1993 (95–4, in lieu of S. 1607)

Reported by the joint conference committee on August 10 and August 21, 1994; agreed to by the House on August 21, 1994 (235–195) and by the Senate on August 25, 1994 (61–38)

Signed into law by President Bill Clinton on September 13, 1994

Notice it passed the house on a voice vote. And notice it passed the Senate 95-4, meaning it had the help of a lot of our supposed friends, the Republicans.

12. 548

548 Guest

Jeffnet, it's actually a trapshooting site. And I am not anti-gun in the least. I do question the need for any old nut job to have unfettered access to military grade weaponry. But most of all I'm just a liberal trapshooter who enjoys the political threads. I thoroughly enjoy pointing out how liberal your candidate is. Not only was he the first governor in the nation to sign into law a ban on assault weapons; but he also crafted universal health care and was the first politician to implement it.

It's no wonder the RNC was such a dog and pony show. Republicans can't even find a viable conservative candidate to nominate. Liberals like myself win in this election regardless of who gets elected.

13. Brian in Oregon

548, quote: <i>"Republicans can't even find a viable conservative candidate to nominate. Liberals like myself win in this election regardless of who gets elected."</i>

That's the first thing you've said that I agree with.

As far as nut jobs getting access to ANY firearm, no one wants to see that. By the same token, we do not want to see the rights of law abiding citizens taken away.

14. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Well, Romney is no Reagan, but with any luck a Republican held House and Senate, a couple Supreme Court Justices, we won't lose either

15. JH

JH Well-Known Member

It is OBVIOUS you are AFRAID of the voting power of MILLIONS OF GUN OWNERS and are trying to paint Romney as equal to Obama....it is NOT GOING TO WORK....

The FACTS are that Obama will appease his anti-gun constituency by STARTING with bans against "assault weapons" and extended magazines. He will then include Saturday Night Specials (an ever increasing definition) and TAX AMMO AND GUNS like Chicago is PRESENTLY proposing. You see, Obama's "world view" of gun ownership is tainted by the murdering gang-bangers in Chicago.

Unlike Romney, Obama will appoint left-wing, ANTI-GUN SUPREME COURT JUSTICES which will mark the end of the Second Amendment as was interpreted the last time before the court.

VOTE ROMNEY OR, LOSE YOUR GUNS! MOBILIZE ALL GUN OWNERS AGAINST OBAMA!

16. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Brian in Oregon: According to the Gun Owners' Action League (GOAL), official state firearms association in Massachusetts and I'll paraphrase, the orginal MA Law was passed in 1998 never had an expiration. The Federal Law had a "sunset clause" of 10 years unless renewed by Congress. The 10 years would sunset in 2004 for the Federal Law. The 1998 MA Law made references to the Federal Law and the MA Democrats raised false concerns about needing to make the MA assault weapons ban permanent. In addition, it provided an excuse to greatly expand the definition of what an assault weapon is in Massachusetts. GOAL was able to convince legislators to somewhat water down the bill. Keep in mind the MA legislature had a Democrat supermajority in both its House & Senate. However, not all of the Democrats in MA were liberal Democrats. BT100dc

17. Brian in Oregon

The fact is... Romney signed an anti-gun bill. He could have vetoed it. He could have not signed and let it automatically become law. But he chose to sign it. And then he bragged about it, and said he was opposed to firearms with "unusual lethality". Romney was taken to task for this by many during the primary, but now that he is the nominee the spin and revisionism has become something worthy of the liberals.

Vote for Romney if you feel he is the best candidate. I have never said not to vote for him.

But don't delude yourself that he is our friend. He flip flops on numerous issues including guns, and will toss us under the bus if he thinks it will help him politically.

18. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

The enemy of my enemy is MY friend.

19. JH

JH Well-Known Member

IDIOCY.....stupidity run AMOK......anyone who claims to value private gun ownership and who directly or indirectly helps Obama get re-elected will contribute to an ANTI-GUN SUPREME COURT that will reverse Second Amendment rights.....

It is immaterial what Romney did or did not do in the past....what is RELEVANT is what Obama has openly said he WILL DO......

20. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

The libs on this sight are planted by moveon.org. They are just trying to stir up crap. Best to ignore them, if they don't get a response they will probably crawl back in the lib rathole they came from...Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1994 assault gun ban who signed

assault weapons ban 1994 signers

hr4296 governer of ohio