1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Assault Rifle ??

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by southjblue, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

What is an assault rifle???What assault rifle did the kid in Conn. use?---What do they want to ban?Isn't any gun that is used to kill someone an assault gun.

I think we all should be able to own whatever the bad guys use to come at us.

JMO----SJB

2. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Does it say "high caliber" too?

(sarc)

3. JLYON

JLYON Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

AR-15 IS NOT A ASSAULT NOW ON CNN EVERY THING IS BAD

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The military definition of an "assault rifle" is a rifle or carbine capable of select fire that uses an intermediate powered cartridge.

The term "assault weapon" is political and has no basis in reality.

Further, the anti's have made a big deal out of the pistol grip, endowing it with magical powers, like how it magically enhances accuracy, etc. The simple fact is that these rifles are designed with the axis of the barrel inline with the shoulder (as opposed to previous firearms that used buttstocks with a lot of drop) raising the axis of the barrel above the shoulder. The purpose of this positioning is two-fold. First, to make the gun more controllable during full auto fire by helping prevent recoil leverage that helps muzzle climb, and by helping reduce recoil by aligning it straight into the shoulder as well as off the face. The pistol grip simply evolved because it was the most simple and logical way to grip the gun with the shooting hand. It should be noted that some trapshooters have discovered this same basic principle by putting very tall combs and ribs on their shotguns, effectively putting the axis of the bore more inline with their shoulder.

5. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

He did not use the so called assault rifle did he?? Thought it was locked in the trunk of his car.

By the way. Mine is a DR. Defense rifle.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

MSM lies so much I only believe the comics and the classifieds.

HM

7. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Where you been, WesleyB? Coronor said the kids were shot with the rifle - don't know how early reports said the rifle was in the car and then it was found with the shooter.

rm

8. gbutler

gbutler TS Member

Could very well be wrong but, I was told "Assault Rifle" was first used by Hitler and the German army to describe the M1. It is my understanding the M1 was the first standard issue semi auto rifle for infantry.

But it doesnt matter, its a term to throw around to people that have no idea what they are talking about. Its the same as hearing people ranting that machine guns should be banned, Not knowing that full auto allready is illegal without a class 3 permit.

My father still goes off about my "terrorist gun" AR even though it will outshoot his redpad Ruger 77. The media has got it ingrained in his head that since it is all black, and looks different, its evil. And he should know better.

The same goes for banning high capacity "clips". If your going to put it all over the media atleast use the right term. Besides that, how long does it really take to change magazines and continue firing? Its all about making laws to make ignorant people feel better.

9. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

RM
    First reports I heard on national news was a glock and a sig pistol 9mm cal were used. Rifle was in trunk of car.

10. baflstang

baflstang Member

I picked up my AR after the recent shootings and looked over it thoroughly and I could not find "Assault" anywhere stamped into it. I must have the only one. Do you think it could be worth a ton to an anomalie (sp) collector? Merry Christmas to all of you and a Happy New Year too!! Safe shooting. Bill Weaver

11. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

WesleyB - I heard the same reports and then the coronor said that a rifle was used and the news reports changed. Wonder how the press got it wrong the first time..... or did they?

12. drgondog

drgondog Member

@Yakimaman - "Where you been, WesleyB? Coronor said the kids were shot with the rifle - don't know how early reports said the rifle was in the car and then it was found with the shooter."

The first release of newscoverage showed the CT State Troopers pulling the AR-15 from the trunk of the car.

The first police report stated all shot with two pistols.

The current Coroner report is not being challenged by anyone despite the video and prior statements.

Make your own judgment.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

In the most recent local news, there was a man arrested for "assaulting" his neighbor with a ball bat. So it's my understanding that all ball bats are now "assault weapons". Am I wrong?

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

If I paint my AR John Deere green and yellow will it still be called an assault weapon?

15. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

gbutler,

Germans call their assault rifle "Sturm Gewehr" (SGs or StGs), literally storm rifle. I didn't think they were referring to M1s at the time.

Chichay

16. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

First reports are... well- you know. Grassy knoll and all that...

17. oldman_1949

oldman_1949 TS Member

"---how long does it really take to change magazines and continue firing?"

If you had to confront a person shooting at YOU would you prefer they had a 10 round mag. or a 30 round mag. ????

18. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Seems as though some reports in the media are confused (ing)

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_NllT1iDo

Do google search for inconsistencies about guns used at sandy hook.

19. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Jerbear

20. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Dumb question oldman- fact is nobody would care much either way since it wouldn't matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.