1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ASE GOLD BERETTA TRAP SHOTGUN

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by labibnader, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labibnader

labibnader TS Member

Ladies & Gents

Im wondering wether I should purchase an ASE GOLD TRAP GUN used,no adjst comb, in very good conditions Or a PERAZZI MX2000 TRAP-Adjustable comb only.(Not the high rib or adjstbl) used, and also in good conditions.The Perazzi has a low ,normal rib as well as the ASE GOLD.Both are going for almost the same price.(7500 usd).
    Can anyone give his opinion or a kind of a comparison between the 2 guns.
    The pluses and minuses,and consequently which one TO BUY?

Thanks a lot

LABIB Nader

Best regards

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

They are two completely different guns. The ASE has a boxlock version of the SO series receiver and 682 series barrels. I have issues with Beretta's barrels and most especially their choke tubes. It handles like a log.

It sounds like the Perazzi you are looking at is an MX-2000/8. That is the 2000 receiver with an MX-8 barrel on it. If you like top singles, that is the way to go. I own a Peraxxi and I love the way it handles. Resale value is going to be much better. Your choice of barrels, if you want to change in the future, is much greater. If it is a late serial number, chances are any newer barrel set will drop right in with no fitting.

I think $7500 is too much to pay for either gun. Personally, I wouldn't buy the ASE for my personal use if it was offered for $5. Perazzis with fixed rib barrels are less expensive and generally less desirable than adjustable ribbed barrels. So I'd be thinking in the $5500 to $6000 range for a good condition used MX2000/8 with ALL of the original accessories.

3. esetter

esetter Active Member

I would take the opposite opinion. I shoot an ASE90 and think it is the best gun out there for the money. Most if not all of the ASE guns have the Boehler barrels which are made of the best steel money can buy, much different than the DT10 barrels. These guns were built in the custom shop at Beretta and the ASE90 was a hand built gun. Just open and close one once and you will see and feel the quality. I've owned Perazzi guns and they point well but they put cheap, crappy looking wood on them unless you pay a fortune for the upgraded wood. In my opinion they are both nice guns but the ASE is a far superior gun. I do agree that both of the guns are overpriced at the price you stated. Again, this is just my opinion and it doesn't mean much so take it for what it is worth.

4. esetter

esetter Active Member

I have owned two ASE Golds and they both had the Boehler steel barrels but I can't say for sure all of them did. The fit and finish was not as good as the ASE90 guns but it was still excellent.

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

The one thing that esetter stumbled on is "What will you be using the gun for?"
    I do agree that the ASE(not Gold)is a very nice gun. I think that there is more of the hand-built factor in the ASE but that does not always equate to a better gun. And the Perazzi wood leaves a lot to be desired if that is important.

6. labibnader

labibnader TS Member

thanks for the clarification.
    Speaking about Perazzi fixed rib versus adjustable rib(low,medium)with montecarlo stock.which one is better for trap shooting.
    what is the maximum drop possible for the mentecarlo stock.(to relax the neck or to avoid neck stretching and...the discomfort!
    I have the feeling that the adjustable rib is more comfortable to shoot with.is it relevant.?I never tried the adj rib .always used the fixed rib.
    am I looking for the right solution?the adj rib is MX2005.
    THANKS

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

There is no difference in shooting comfort between an adjustable rib and an otherwise identical fixed rib (except weight).

With a fixed rib, you change POI by making adjustments to the comb. When you do so, the relationship between the front and mid beads changes. That bothers many shooters.

With an adjustable rib, you can adjust the rib only, or the comb only to make small or large changes to POI. However, it is possible (and recommended in the manual) to charge the rib position AND the comb position in fixed amounts to maintain the original bead alignment over a range of POIs.

Personally, I don't care that much about bead alignment, but I do prefer adjustable ribs because they are lighter than the equivalent fixed rib, and they permit small, precise, repeatable adjustments to POI.

If your choices are between the ASE Gold and an MX-2005, I'd say buy the 2005. Many, many people think that Perazzi makes the best shotgun barrels in the world. I don't know, but I do know they are very good. I also know from sorry experience (and from some friend's experience) that the 682 series barrels that come on the ASE Gold are a pile of rubbish. What else do you expect from a set of barrels with choke tubes that can be purchased for $900 retail. Another factor to consider is repair. You can fix most of the things that might go wrong with a Perazzi yourself. Changing a hammer spring takes 90 seconds. Changing a firing pin takes under 5 minutes (because once you have it apart, you'll want to clean and relube everything). Other than that, what's to break? I don't know anyone who tries to fix a non-SO series Beretta themselves.

All that being said, try both. You may like the handling of one much better than the other.

8. esetter

esetter Active Member

Once again, the ASE Golds have different barrels than the DT10. These barrels are Boehler Antinit steel and you just can't get better than that. You won't find a set of these barrels for $900. I just paid $2200 for a set for my ASE90 and the ASE Gold barrels would cost about the same. Don't confuse the ASE Gold with the DT10, two very different guns. I can't tell you how difficult it is to fix my ASE because it has never broken, and it gets shot a lot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ase gold trap
beretta ase
beretta ase 90 gold trap
beretta ase 90 trap shotgun

beretta ase gold

beretta ase gold shotgun

beretta ase gold trap

beretta ase trap