1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Asceraining Legitimacy of GunsAmerica Sellers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

How do I protect myself when making a purchase from someone who advertises on GunsAmerica and has no feedback?

On Gunbroker and eBay the money is always sent first and then the item is shipped. I have had good luck buying and selling on both these sites.

I got what I paid for from Trapshooting Hippie on this site (thank you Gene!)

Do I ask the GunsAmerica seller to ship the gun to my local FFL dealer who will hold it until I send the money to seller?

Any thoughts?

Thank you
    Lou

2. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

Lou --- I always ask for a picture of some obscure part of the gun or from an unusual angle. If they can provide one fairly quickly it generally means they actually have the gun on hand. No pics then I pass.

I've bought & sold dozens of guns over the internet and the funds are always received/sent before the gun is shipped. I personally would not ship a gun anywhere until the funds are in hand. I do offer a three day inspection with money back guarantee if they don't like the gun for ANY reason. Only had to refund once and it was only because the guy changed his mind.

Good luck!

Rich Redovian
    Cody, WY

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Just a thought,,,have them photograph the gun w/ their driver's license. Then @ least you know who to send the feds after if theres a problem...

4. Bushmaster1313

Just ran a reverse lookup of the telephone number in the ad. State was the same but the name was different from the one in the ad.

Gun looks nice but I am wary.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/954127474/Guns/Shotguns/Ithaca-Shotguns/Single-Bbl/Trap/ITHACA_4E_KNICK_12_TRAP.htm

Lou

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would have the seller ship from an FFL, and you send the money to said license holder.

It will add a little cost to the transaction, and also add peace of mind.

HM

6. Bushmaster1313

HM:

Excellent idea.

FFL holder is not going to risk getting his ticket punched!

Lou

7. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

There are also a number of escrow firms operating on the internet. Haven't used one in a while but would prefer to do so on the purchase of a big ticket item from someone with no bona fides. Threre is a lot of fraudulent activity out there. CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

If you have noticed in last year or so that many ads list from my ffl to yours or will not tranfer from non ffl. Thats because of some stolen guns are getting to the internet now. The next BIG gun control issue is going to be stopping internet sales. Feebay started it and ALL of you know that what happens in CA browns the rest of US down the road

9. blazer49

blazer49 TS Member

I do not know of any "carrier" that will allow a person to open a package and inspect the contents prior to paying the COD amount. Typically the only inspection allowed is an outside visual to look for obvious damage. But of course you will have to excuse me cause I do live in the People's Republic of California and the rules might be different in the Bay Area........

10. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I don't know if it's still the same, but years ago you could ship items with "inspection privilege" through the US mail. Check with your local Postmaster. Larry Evans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.