1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

As to going into Navy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by copper, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

To anyone who has a son or grandson or daughter thinking of going in the Navy is over manned right now we have two sons in and a relitive who has been in for over 20 he is a captain aircraft carrier. A lot of the rates closed out so is very difficult to move up, so if considering Navy do a lot of reserch to what they can exspect. regards Dave

2. chuckles

chuckles Member

What with Iran, Russia, Israel, USA about to open a new confrontation, I suspect your Carrier relative is going to be very busy...

3. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

A lot of heroes consider the Navy primarily to make sure you can never get shot at. As long as you don't get roped into being a medic and follow the Marines around, you're as safe as being home with Mommy.

4. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

If I wanted to go in the Armed Forces and not get shot at I would go in the Air Force (not flying the planes). If real war ever breaks out between well equipped nations large ships will be sitting targets.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is no safe place- in harbor they attack you- like the Cole- in barracks they blow you up- they attack air bases or on roads across the land.

Military duty even without an enemy is dangerous

Its not like a walk in the park

We have some great young men and women serving today-

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Hats off to everyone who serves!

To those who only want to complain, Leave!!!!

7. larryjk

larryjk Member

My son was a nuclear operator on attack submarines for a 6 year tour. The first 1 1/2 years were basic training, nuclear school, nuclear operator school, and then 4 1/2 years of submarine duty. He had always passed all tests and qualifications long before he was eligible for promotion. Military and civilian federal positions have "time-in-grade" requirements, very few exceptions. He was involved in a few dangerous situations, even considering it was submarine duty he had volunteered for. He was awarded the Meritorious Service award for an action that is classified secret and he isn't allowed to speak about. There are no safe areas when you are serving your country in the armed forces. You are a target.

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Ken X - I hope that you are a combat veteran who was subjected to enemy action and your comment was meant as a friendly poke at fellow veterans--like most of us are apt to do.

If you don't fall in the above category, I have a "special" category in mind just for you.

Guy Babin

USN RET

9. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Compared to walking with a rifle in very dangerous areas, there is a HUGE amount of difference! Its hard to believe we have that many super-brave young men!

10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Dave,

I served during periods of very high retention rates due to a weak economy. It's harder to advance in Ratings that are overmanned, or at near 100%.

The Navy established High Year Tenure (HYT) maximums to force those not advancing out to make room for the up-and-coming hard chargers. If a Sailor works their ass off and becomes the best among his peers, that Sailor will succeed. In my opinion advancing in a highly competitive advancement environment is much more significant than advancing through accelerated promotions due to shortages.

Pick the service and specialty that matches their aspirations and one that is likely to provide maximum job satisfaction. Serving in any of our Armed Services, and I include the Coast Guard, is an honor.

V/R,

Guy Babin

11. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Guy - Yes it was a friendly poke at other veterans! I poke my friends and fellow workers all I can, especially if they used to ride around in a boat, or fix airplanes at some nice soft airbase.

Ken
    Crazy or dumb enough to volunteer for the Army
    when a war was going on. (Viet Nam)

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Ken X,

All good brother.

Guy

13. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Aboard the USS JOHN C. STENNIS CVN-74 last week (USS Galveston CLG3 annual reunion) and talked to a sailor who just re-upped in noncritical rating and there was no shipping over bonus. Stunned me, but things change.

14. flyfish

flyfish Member

I had a critical rating (Communication Technician [CT])in the Navy and road fast attack nuclear subs (1967-1971). Made E-5 in less than three years and was offered E-6 and a variable re-enlistment bonus of $13,000, tax free in 1970. Had enough "fun" and said, "Thanks but no thanks." How times have changed!

15. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

"If I wanted to go in the Armed Forces and not get shot at I would go in the Air Force (not flying the planes). If real war ever breaks out between well equipped nations large ships will be sitting targets"

Out of one group of five officers I started my career in the Air Force with (in 1965), I am the only one who survived to retirement. None died of natural causes and none of us were pilots or flyers. Guess someone did not get the memo that you aren't supposed to shoot at non-flyers.

Retired Air Force Officer

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Got silk!!

Curt

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I'm a retired navy chief ICC(SS), I would not recommend the navy to anyone who is interested in spending 20+ years in the military. I was fortunate to be in the old navy. , when the submarine force was considered separate from the navy & it was the best boys' club in the world. If yo're interested in making the military a career go Coast Guard. NO B.S. & the Dept. of Home Land Security has funds unlimited. Its your life, use it well or waste it dumb.

Phil Berkowitz ICC(SS) Ret

18. SYLHOUETTE

SYLHOUETTE TS Member

for those who think being in the navy is a walk in the park they obviously never spent time on a working flight deck

19. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Navy Seabees isnt always a walk in the park, They are right in the middle of the action many times. Dave Bishop UTCS USN ret

20. DiggerL

DiggerL Member

Some current stats (link below) seem to suggest that current Army and USMC service far more hazardous than USN or USAF (in general). No surprise here. Navy and USAF don't engage in large scale ground combat ops.

http://www.militarytimes.com/projects/flash/4000/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.