1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

As ammo becomes more available

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

and I have the grandkids to start,,,,,,,,what would be a "decent" price for 22LR ammo? Any specific brand to look for or stay away from?

Thanks.

2. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Never to many complaints using CCI. Under $10.00 per 100 box. Might want to stay clear of Remington Thunder Turds and Winchester bulk 555.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Bulk Remington blows dead goats for reliability.

4. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Local gun shop here in Florida is stocking 500 rd. packs of Winchester 22LR. At least as of yesterday..they had it on the shelf. You can buy a brick to take home for $160.00.
    Told'em No thanks. It is still a big saving over .223 rds selling at the Melbourne(FL) Gun Show for the BULK price...(you get the quantity "discount") of $1000.00 per thousand rds.

5. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

For me, it depends on what I am shooting, I try to stick with CCI if shooting an auto because I find CCI to be considerably cleaner than the bulk Winchester or Remington packs. However I will shoot whatever at of a bolt.

As far as a decent price, well in this market I would define decent as 12-14 cents a round. Those deals pop up on gun broker occasionally.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The Federal bulk 36 grain copper plated HP are good plinkers. About $19.00 for 525 at Walmart.

Blazer 40 grain LRN is a good one too, $20.00 a brick at our local Meijer store.

Agulia 40 grain plated RN is very accurate out of most bolt guns from 50-70 yards. It's about $35.00 a brick.

Those prices are PSH (Pre Sandy Hook).

Wayne

7. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I'll 2nd. the Federal H.P. bulk package 525 rounds. Shoots as good if not better than everything else from my Browning Buckmark. The Winchester 555 bulk has 1 misfire per 20 rounds. It will fire sometimes with a 2nd hit to the rim, but it's junk IMHO. 20 bucks used to buy the 525 Federal bulk, have not seen any for sale in months.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you can get it , the bulk pack Federal from Walmart is excellent plinking ammo. (the stuff Wayno and Falcon are talking about). Some autoloaders will occaisionally jam with it due to the hollow point shape of the bullets.

My personal favorite is the CCI MiniMag solid plated RN. These never have been bargain price, usually about 50% more expensive than the Federal bulk pack. I have a case of this on order from Midway since last June so who knows if I ever will get it. It will be better than Christmas if it ever does show up.

Another decent value that you can find at walmart now and then is the Federal AutoMatch bulk packs. These function very well in the autoloaders.

I have had a lot of problems with current production Remington ammo and the bulk packed Winchester stuff. Although right now I would probably buy just about anything.

One brand you don't see a lot of but it is reasonably priced and works well is Aguila out of Mexico. I have been shooting a lot of their standard vel ammo for plinking lately and having good results. (won't cycle autoloaders) I also got a couple of cartons of Aguila .22 shorts because they were priced right. Very pleased with their performance.

As far as cost - consider 4 cents per round to be a bargain and the upper end would be around 10 cents per round unless you get into actual match grade ammo then the sky is the limit.

9. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I sure hope Wally and everybody else starts getting more soon. I saw a guy at a gunshow last weekend hand over $90 for a box of Federal bulk. I could not believe my eyes!

Steve

10. HDKING

HDKING TS Member

Came across some 22 shorts , can they be used in a 22lr without any problems

11. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

HDKING - depends on the rifle --- look on the barrel to see how it is marked. If it can take shorts it will say so.

12. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

If you decide to try .22 shorts, keep in mind that the extra jump to the rifling won't do you any favors in the accuracy department, and the crud buildup at the front of the chamber will mean lots of scrubbing before you can stick a long rifle case in there.

Kiv

13. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Ahem.....I get rid of all my Winchesters....I much prefer Federal and Remington....the "hot" stuff, e.g., Thunderbolts, etc. is CRAP.

Blazer lead are very dirty......

Check gunbroker prices on .22 ammo for SHOCK VALUE!

14. wolfram

HDKing - Yes most any .22 will fire the short cartridge but that ammo won't cycle in most autoloaders and feeding can be a problem with other action types as well. I have been shooting a lot of .22 short ammo lately (because thats all I can find) and having fun doing so. I run this stuff through my revolvers as well as a M39 Marlin and a M61 Winchester. No problems and don't worry about the fouling ring you can wipe it out of the chamber pretty easily.

15. wolfram

$0.50 per box? You are showing your age there Rick;)

16. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

The very first box of .22 shells I ever bought were Remington Kleenbore .22 short. I paid 38¢ for a box. At that time I could get 20¢ bounty on pocket gophers that I trapped, so two gophers bought a box of shells. Great times to be a kid.

Clint Lund Hardware on Main St in my local town over 45 years ago. I can remember that like it was yesterday, but I can't remember what I did last weekend!

17. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Used to go into Western Auto in the mid 1960's when they put their .22 ammo on sale. Would buy all the .22 shorts ($0.40/box), .22 longs ($0.45/box) and .22 long rifles ($0.50/box) in stock. All Revelation brand. Saved Christmas money, allowance, birthday money and money from odd jobs to buy the shells. Shot them all through a Winchester Model 61 octagon barrel pump and a Marlin 39A lever action. Both guns worked well with the mix of shells.

18. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

In Sonora this past week one of our gun stores had a brick of CCI .22 LR's. He was selling them for $200.00. I asked why so much and he said he had paid $150.00 and was trying to make a few bucks. This has gotten crazy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.