1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Artificial Voice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sprintcarman, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sprintcarman

Sprintcarman TS Member

I'm a laryngectomy and I'm looking for some kind of electronic device that can be used with a voice release system for trap shooting. Can't use a sports whistle. Did find an electronic whistle on line but it doesn't work with the voice release system. Probably not in the right frequency range. Anybody have any experience with this or know of somebody that has?
    Thanks,
    Roger

2. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

Roger my club is also very interested in your question, so I'll be watching for the information as well.
    Good Luck
    Fraz

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I saw a guy at a shoot and he had a childs bicycle bell rigged on his forearm. It was the type that you operate by a thumb lever. It seemed to work good for him and calls did not seem delayed. I'm not positive how he had it attached but they are very cheap at stores such as Wal Mart. May be worth trying.

Good luck.

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

We had a fellow in the Miramar club, his name was Dave, who had a tracheotomy. He had an electronic device that called “pull” when he activated it. If I recall he squeezed it with his mouth, but my memory is a little faded on the subject.

The answer is yes, there is certainly a device for this.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Roger:

grntitan is on the right track, but get a good quality bell at a bike shop - not the "rattle bell" type, but the kind that makes a single distinct "ding." Roughly $20.

By the way, have you actually tried a good sports whistle? My father also had a laryngectomy but he could somehow use his mouth to generate a sharp little puff of air. Then again, he also taught himself to "burp talk" from his stomach so well that doctors could hardly believe what they were hearing.

-Gary

6. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Avaldes, is correct. The person he's speaking of shot at Redlands a few times and may be shooting at triple B's. The device he invented was electronic using a micro processor with a prerecored "pull" voice call activated either by air pressure blown down a small diameter tube or a squeeze switch activated by clamping his teeth.

Do an internet search, you may find what your looking for, or someone may know the shooters name and how to contact him.

Sufer

7. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I have shot with a fellow that used a Duck Call, worked great

Oscar

8. too fast

too fast TS Member

I saw Dan Bonias using a electronic release system a couple years back. Guess he was just trying it out. You might try contacting him. I don't have his number but sure someone on here has it. Hope this is some help. Jim

9. dead on 4

A number of shooters me included us a small battery powered amplifier strapped to our belts at clubs who have difficult voice activated mics. The amplifier which has a small speaker is driven by a small mic clipped to the neck line area of the shooters shirt. The mic and amplifier are available at Radio Shack.

There is an induction mic that attaches to a band worn around the neck and will transmit any sound generated through the amplifier such as a grunt which should trigger the mics on the trap field or be heard by a puller whith the volume turned up. I don't believe Radio Shack sells these, you can check their web sight and do a search online.

Surfer.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I wonder if stepping on a kid's bike horn would work?

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Surfer,

Is that the exact same system that DanB was using? I just saw him at Kingsburg this weekend using that system. There are a few fields that had tricky mikes. I have seen Dan and Jimmy Heller use that same microphone attached to the shirt deal before. I would love to get one myself and am curious to know if it is a commercial off the shelf thing or if it is a one-off item. I didn't look at it close enough to tell if it was just an amp or if interacted with the wireless system. It would be worth it alone if only used at Kingsburg.

-Aaron

12. dead on 4

Aaron,
    If you do an online search for mini amplifier speaker or battery operated amplifiers you should come up with something. The one my girlfriend and I use are made under the Radio Shack label and called Mini Amplifier Speaker (I don't have their part number. The microphone is a separate item both are available in their retail stores and I imagine their online store as well.

We glued Velcro to the amplifier case and attach them to our shell pouch belts.

Heller's is a little larger than ours but work the same. I don't what brand Dan or Hellet are using. Your best starting point is Radio Shack.

Surfer

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062620#stuff-you-want

14. dead on 4

Aaron,
    The one listed above by Joe is the one we use, Radio Shack also sells a small clip on mike that will complete the system.

Surfer

15. dead on 4

Aaron,
    Out of curiosity I stopped by my local Radio Shack on the way home from breakfast. I wanted to check and see if they were still stocking the mini amp/speaker and microphone, they are. The mini amp/speaker is part # 2771008 @ $14.99 and the microphone is part #33-3013 @ $32.99.

Surfer

16. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Some are offering advice to use a speaker, but it is unsure if his surgery has left him with the ability to speak much less call out PULL. There is a likelihood he has a stoma and since both hands are holding the gun it would be difficult to call for the target.

The idea of a remote button to activate a pre-recorded "pull" is a great idea. Might be something worth patenting.

Bryan

17. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Avaldes, are you able to contact this gentleman that has this electronic device?

Bryan

BTW, Mr. Bonillas has a squak box that he uses with a ear mounted mic.

18. porky

porky TS Member

There was a man who had the same trouble in NY and he used a whistle. Just a plain whistle and it worked well for him and no one minded it at all.

19. dead on 4

Do a search under voice activated amplifiers, a whole bunch of stuff will pop up. As mentioned earlier, an induction microphone attached around the neck will transmit any type of sound to the amplifier, a grunt a moan a sigh a burp or any sound which when amplified should be enough to trigger the speakers or heard by a puller.

Some may remember the amputee who shot at Kingsburg years ago who had a prostheses with a hook on his trigger hand that hooked onto the side of the gun and a rod attached to the trigger that went forward to the front of the for-end that when pushed fired the gun. A similar for-end system using a switch to activate an amplifier should be easy to do.

Surfer

20. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE; used a whistle

May not be able to blow a whistle.

A laryngectomy is the partial or complete surgical removal of the voice box (larynx). ... or larynx, plays a critical role in breathing, swallowing, and speaking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.