1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Arthrite .......thumbhole

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Caribou woodland, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

Do you think a thumhole gun will help my grip.My hands are not good and I am getting pain if I shoot more than 100.His their any stok for BT-99.Show me your
    thumhole gun.
    Pierre

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

If you have fairly long fingers try a BT-100 shotgun with a thumb hole stock. They generally sell for less than ones with an MC stock or adj. comb. The stock will not fit a BT99.

Gary
    gw22_2008_0303197.jpg

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I would think a thumbhole stock would make your condition even worse, as the grip is at more of a sharp angle, and FORCES your hand to conform to the grip, whether it fits your body or not. Of course, the only way to know for sure would be for you to try one.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

He is probably right.

Gary

5. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

I've got RA and wondered the same thing. When Remington put their "turkey" stocks on sale, I got one to try. I find it quite comfortable. It has a very short distance to the trigger, which I like as well. I couldn't pull that trigger with a conventional stock consistently. The pull is too heavy on the 1187 Super Mag I put the stock on. I only gambled $75, but I'm satisfied with the results.
    Dave

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Wow, nice furniture, Rick!

Gary

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It is also impressive that your Gun Sock appears to be part of an actual sock LOL.

Gary

8. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I was to the point where i had to put ice on my wrist after a 200 bird shoot.so i bought a ss bt100 w/thumb hole stk.wrist didn't hurt anymore but it felt like my thumb was beat on w/a hammer.i was unconsciously pushing the stock away from my shoulder.there is a learning curve to these stocks.grip firm,pull it firm to your shoulder and you will be fine.i had some of the wood removed from the side where the thumb is attached to the hand.added a gracoil/adj.comb and i was good to go.i like mine.if you have or are going to get a bt100 i have a extra thumb hole stock i would part with for a reasonable price.

tracy

9. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

Take a look at Perazzi's "glove grip". If you are handy get an unfinished stock from Wenig then, using bondo, duplicate the features of the glove. I do it by building up the bondo and for the final fit on the final layer of bondo fit using a nitrile glove I hold the grip in a comfortable position until the bondo sets. Finally I smooth the rough edges and shoot it for a time, changing shape if necessary. Then I may send it for duplication....or not. The result is a rather large palm swell and a more vertical grip which seems less stressful onthe hand and wrist, particularly if you drop the right elbow ( for a right handed shooter). A relatively cheap way to try a concept.

Chuck

10. Birddogfella

Birddogfella Member

FWIW. Have Arthur in my right thumb... pretty intense sometimes.
    Gave my AR10 to my son (LEO), as I cannot shoot it no mo'.
    Same with some pistols... finally found I CAN shoot Glock 21 SF (.45 ACP) w/o too much pain.
    I wouldn't spend $0.15 on a thumbhole rig, but that is just me. YMMV
    Good luck.
    ///olde pharte///

11. shootlow

shootlow TS Member

Zardo is right, they don't fit most shooters hands. they can kill your hand between thumb and forefinger. Shootlow.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Z: DDS4HORSE on here uses one in competition and when he's on his game he can compete with ANYBODY.

Also, the BT-100 thumb hole guns were glossy blue which means they had all the trigger features including LOP. I've owned 4, and 2 were thumbholes with adj LOP. Unfortunately, even the shortest position is still pretty long.

Gary

13. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I am the only person I know shooting a thumbhole. I find best results pulling the gun tight to my shoulder. Last summer shooting at Cardinal I did notice some soreness in my thumb knuckle (right where the thumb attaches to the hand) so I put a little square of moleskin and I was fine. But this was after a few days shooting 200-300 targets a day. My trigger pull feels real comfortable to me and I have small surgeon like hands. I am just not sure of the benifits to someone with arthritis if it really helped that much I think everyone would be using one. Today forinstance I shot doubles with my winchester 101 (regular monte carlo stock) and my trigger hand was cramping up something aweful. Then I went on to shoot 100 singles and 100 handicap with the BT-100 thumbhole with no problem whatsoever. oscar

14. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

At the cardinal last summer I would get there with atleast 10 bottles of gatorade and go through most of them and I don't think I ever saw the inside of a bathroom there hot hot year last year for both the state and Cardinal classic Buckeye cold and windy. Hydration is very important once you reach the point you stop sweating, your in trouble. os

15. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

oh BTW GW22 thanks for the kind words My success is not due to the thumbhole stock I am well coached. os

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The obvious answer is 1 once loads isnt it?

If that doesnt work 7/8

You Might try the "gel" gloves the bike riders wear- dont get the foam ones but get the gel

If that doesnt work an exercise program

If that doesnt work ask a doctor

If your condition is pain in your hands so great you cant hold a gun- something is wrong that you arent going to solve by any stock known to man

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.