1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

AR's allowed?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

AR

Some of our club members are dead set against the AR shooting platform. They just don't feel they belong in a "sporting environment". It appears that there might even be an attempt to ban them from our outdoor range. I truly don't think that will happen, but things get pretty heated when the topic comes up.

BTW, this has nothing to do with my other thread about one blowing up. The blow up was at a different club.

Your comments on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

A gun club banning guns. hmmmmmmmmmmmm

3. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

They have as small of a mind as the people who started the bill to ban "Sniper
    Rifles". A sniper rifle would be a bolt action rifle with a scope that "would be considered more accurate than average". The average citizen certainly did not need a snipers tool for hunting.

If the problem is that some members are banging away 30 round magazines as fast as they can pull the trigger, then institute a 1 shot a second rule with a sustained fire to be X number before they can continue.

If they don't like the look of an AR, they must either be hunter sight in folks, bench rest types, or they perhaps are not even rifle shooters at all.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is amazing to what extent the cosmetics of a firearm influence people's opinions. You see that on both sides of the fence. A rifle is a rifle, the AR happens to be a widely used combat arm but so was the M1 and the 03 Springfield. Why get so worked up about it?

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Capvan are you serious? Holy crow do you have some liberals at your club. I'd let my money do the talking after all else fails!

Who decides what is sporting and what isn't? What is the big difference between an AR platform and another semi auto rifle? My brother lives in NC. The people down where he hunts hunt with AR's or BAR's almost exclusively. The only debate I would see at any of the local clubs around me would be who's is better.

6. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

I know a couple of people that have shooting ranges on their own land but they don't let people shoot "assault rifles" because some people want to see how fast they can shoot 30 rounds. Most of us know that shots are just shots but sometimes it upsets neighbors when they hear what they perceive to be machineguns. I know one gun club that has a policy of 1 shot per second but ever so often you will hear someone shooting as fast as they can pull the trigger. Larry

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

Rapid fire shooting has been a long standing problem at this range. There are rules in place, but go largely ignored. They tried a "10 round max in the mag" rule last year, but the club voted it down.

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Yeah just what we f'ing need is a gun club deciding whether to ban guns....as if we don't get enough of this shit from non-gun liberals. They should be ashamed of themselves and I would be looking for other clubs to join.

If there is a particular complaint against the AR then limit the number of rounds in the mag or restrict rapid fire, but banning ARs is f'ing asinine.

9. atashooter

atashooter Member

Wrist Rockets.... Dammit.... Let's ban Wrist Rockets. Oh, yeah, Red Ryders too. Geez....

10. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

The AR platform has expanded into just about every market imaginable today. It is widely used in target guns, varmint rifles, deer hunting rifles, and just about every other facet of "sport" shooting. It can be obtained in a wide variety of calibers now, even .50. How could any sane shooting club member argue it is not a "sporting" rifle? Sounds to me like a bunch of "obamsters" who think appearance equals evil.

Jim R

11. EE

EE Banned User Banned

I agree totally with Jim. ARs are everywhere now. capvan, your club is full of idiots.

EE

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Ditto what EE and the rest said..my Bushmaster has become the most trusted and veratile rifle in my safe...I have 4 uppers ..a 22LR ..223...338 Federal and 450...I can take anything that walks with it,,,you guys that think its only an assualt rifle..please extract your heads from your asses and bring your brains out with you

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I know of 2 clubs that allow semi-auto centerfire rifles/pistols to only have 2 shells loaded at any one time. There is also a 30 second between shot rule that is ineffect (this applies to all rifle/pistol/shotgun shooters. Anyone violating these rules is dismissed from the club immediately and is banned from using and/or attending anything on the clubs grounds (rifle, pistol, shotgun)for a minimum of one year. He or she then has to petition to become a member again.

The reason for this is a few years back a bunch of younger members took their semi-auto centerfire rifles back to the rifle range and proceeded to act like WWIII was going on. The police showed up because they thought something serious was going on. It was a big mess and it almost got the whole club shutdown.

The other club enacted the same set of rules to keep it from happening in the first place.

ss

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I started to respond to this thread but what I had to say would get me banned from the forum for life and my baptism would likely be revoked.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well, some guys do like to shoot their ARs fast, but what better place to do that than a range? It does take a lot of practice to be able to reliably place double taps and three round bursts on targets. Evil appearance, evil noise still pretty subjective stuff. The thing about a shooting range is that it provides a safe place for people to shoot, as shooters we should avoid limitations on that as long as the shooting is being done safely.

16. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Being somewhat of a luddite, thinking that firearms should have blue metal and walnut or maple wood, I for years didn't like "black" guns. Having seen the light, (or black as it were), I now find that they are quite interesting, capable of fine accuracy, and very suitable for sporting use. Don't have one yet but am "designing" my own. I think one with several tops would just be great, a 223 (oops, gotta use 5.56 or I'll be in trouble), a 6.8, and obviously, a 50 Beowulf, should let me take care of anything from ground hogs and 'yotes, on up to terrorists and kodiak bears.

We encourage our members to shoot whatever they legally own but in a sensible manner....rate of fire is not a big concern.

People who want to ban stuff because they don't see use for it have as much credibility as most politicians...and I'm from the state where former governors make the license plates.

17. plinker611

plinker611 Member

we have a no un controllable fast fire rule at out club,and members are the enforcement"range officers",we do have rifle club that does a timed fast fire routine,defensive pistol courses that practice double taps,so in them controlled circumstanses its allowed,but the spray and pray cowboys are not allowed,how we judge it is we have a 40 ft tall backstop(dirt hill)at 65 yds,4 ft berms(dirt)at 25ft and 50 ft,if they cant keep their shots on target,then there told to stop,if they dont then they are told to leave,if they dont ,then membership is suspended.as far as bans go,we have 150 yds for rifle,and this year we did have to put a ban on 50bmg,the 4 that have them didnt like it ,but we had to look out for the interests of the other 450 members.mark

18. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Think ARs were more than 50% of the total?

"Washington, DC --(AmmoLand.com)- Data released by the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) for the year reported 14,033,824 NICS Checks for the year of 2009, a 10 percent increase in gun purchases from the 12,709,023 reported in 2008.

So far that is roughly 14,000,000+ guns bought last year!
    The total is probably more as many NICS background checks cover the purchase of more than one gun at a time by individuals.

To put it in perspective that is more guns than the combined active armies of the top 21 countries in the world. countries by number of troops

Of the NICS background checks preformed less than and average .005% were denied, showing, overwhelmingly, that law abiding American citizens are the ones buying guns and that criminals are getting their guns elsewhere.

14,033,824,000 billions rounds of Ammo
    Assuming each gun buyer bought 1000 rounds of ammo for each purchase, and you and I know that it is way, way more than that, that would be easily 14,033,824,000+ billions rounds of ammo fired by USA gun owners.

What percent of people were killed or injured by this ammo…it is just to infinitesimally small for me to calculate?

Crime At Record Lows
    This record year in firearms background checks show that Americans are solidly in-favor of exercising their civil right to Keep and Bear Arms.

In a year were crime has reached an all time record low what is plainly clear is that more guns equal LESS CRIME!"

19. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

You need to remind those in the club what happen to Jim Zumbo, and his remarks about THE BLACK RIFLE.... I like the phrase, when you vote to take my AR away, I help them take your shotgun away.......LIVE AN LEARN...Grubby.......

Gun enthusiasts' backlash against Zumbo was swift. He parted company with his employer, Outdoor Life magazine. Zumbo says on his Web site that he was "terminated"; the magazine says that it and Zumbo agreed that he would resign.

20. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Zumbo has his TV show back and was a guest on "Spirit of the Wild" where the Nuge gave him a lesson with an AR. Also talked to him like a Dutch Uncle, kind of an intervention. Jim seemed to be a little humbled. Too bad he didn't watch his mouth as he is genuinely a likeable guy....unlike some dumb clowns (i.e. Rahm Emmanuel and his boss).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.