1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

arrrgghhh....puter problems

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ahab, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Puter problems.

I am running into a problem with a slave drive on my computer. Hard drive shows up during boot up, and in the Device Manager, in Control Panel, Add Hardware, it is there and woking OK. If I look in My Computer, it doesn’t show up, so I can’t access it.

It is a 30 gig HD, and if I replace it with a 20 gig, it works. Bought a new 160 gig, and the same problem…it is there, but not in My Computer.

Any ideas?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Too many variables.....which operating system, settings, etc. But....Check the jumpers on the hard drive, make sure it's set up as a slave unit.

Did you get a disk or CD with the new drive, manuals, instructions, etc? Read 'em again.

I assume it spins up, since you see it in CP.

Always look at the simple stuff first. make sure your ribbon cables and connectors are right, no bent pins, etc.

sorry I can't help more.

HM

3. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

I agree with HM - too many variables. However, if this is XP go into (right click on My Computer and select Manage) Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management and see if it is listed there. See what the status of the disk is and report back.

Bill

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

It won't show up if it is not formatted.

5. primed

primed Well-Known Member

How old is your system? Seems to me that some older systems would not recognize a drive over a certain size. I don't recall what the limit was. This is a vague recollection at best but it is a thought.

Bob

6. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Check everything per the previous posts, then check and change the drive letter assignments for the slave drive per the attached link to the Microsoft KB. I had this happen with one of those little USB thumb drives, and it can happen if the dirve letter for your slave drive is somehow reassigned to something like a mapped network drive.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

WinXP Home.. it is a 160 gig IDE...disk management says "Not initialized" and has a red circle with a white dash on Disk1.

System is 3 years old, P4 3.0

8. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Assuming it is your slave then through disk management you need to format it, thereby initializing it.

9. incognito

incognito TS Member

Go Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management. Right click the drive and tell it to initialize the drive. Then partition it and format it. Then it will work. Assuming you have all the jumpers, etc., set right.

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

wam6187 and Incognito....that solved the problem!

Thanx!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.