1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

arrowheads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leadspreader, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

hey any arrowhead collectors here? I have a collection that I want some more info on. just would like to know what tribe and location of these types.maybe an appraisal. NOT FOR SALE

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

All I can tell you is that I recognize the one designed for handicap shooting and the ones made for shooting singles.

Pat Ireland

3. Illini bird

Illini bird TS Member

Ohio type stone but they don't all look old? Larry

4. DONNE

DONNE Member

Yeah ,I've been collecting them since I was a kid. We used to find a few in the fields , when they weren't covered-up with houses ! I've also bought a few Knives made by Tuttle and Mondino. Very nice work. Wish I could do the knapping to make my own. Did you find these or buy them ?
    If you know where they came from there are lots of books around that can give you what your looking for.

5. SR1

SR1 TS Member

They look like genese style points where are you from?I have a very large collection from the area I live in.

6. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Indian war surplus. All of it that was ever made is still here. Nice.

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Look like they might be North American Indian to me! :)

tony

8. willing

willing Member

Hiawatha says he is missing one.

Bill

9. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

I learned something this year. When I was a kid my family would go out and hunt "arrowheads" like the ones you have. It was a lot of fun. And we would often find the little bitty ones we called "birdpoints". So, for 50 some years I thought the Indians used what we call "arrowheads" at the end of an arrow. And I was wrong.

This year I am developing a subdivision that required a Corp 404 Permit which in turn triggered the necessity of an archeolgy review. And low and behold they found a 5000 year old encampment in the middle of it that I have o protect and preserve. No problem

But in talking to the archeologist she showed me some artifacts that I called "arrowheads". And she said NO - these are spear points and throwing stick points. She said the North American Indian use of bows and arrows is a fairly recent thing - within a few hundred years. And that they first used spears, then throwing sticks and then bows. She further explained that the little ones I have always called "birdpoints" (1 inch long or less)were actually used on the end of an arrow. That is one of the ways they determined the age of the site they found because there were no little ones.

I thought afterwards "WOW - that makes sense. How in the world can someone shoot an arrow with one of those big clunky things on the end"

So, technically none of those pictured are "arrowheads"

Dan

10. David Knapp

David Knapp TS Member

The top two look exactly like the ones found in Southern Ohio. I live next to the Ohio River near Haverhill. This territory was inhabited by the Shawnee Indians. That does not mean they necessarily made them. The Indian tribes used to trade amongst themselves so they could have been made anywhere.

David Knapp

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My 8 year old daughter has a real knack for finding these things out in the desert. Supposedly it is against the law to remove artifacts from where you find them but...... how can you take something like that away from a kid? Neat stuff.

12. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

thanks for all the info. here is some more details. these were given to me by my grandmother and she was indian.I want to say cherokee which is about 90% of the population descendants. she hunted these probably bouhgt a few at friendship IN.would never get rid of these even if they were valuable. too much sentimental value!I have about 75 more that I didn't picture but if someone would like to see them email me and i can send pics. oh also these were probably found in southern IN and Kentucky.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I have a small collection I found along the banks of the Ohio river that looks similar to your's. Hap

14. Illini bird

Illini bird TS Member

If the center one is old it would range about $50 to 80 . Looks like a newer type because of how it shines. Maybe not? the other run about 5 to 15. One here that my friend has in Illinois that came from ohio is about $ 7,000 Different flint thou. It all depends how complete and long. type design and material all are nice anyway.Keep them !!! Larry

15. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

That was funny Pat.

Atlatyl.

16. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I have also found many out here when shooting p-dogs which for me is always on the ground crawling around. I have a good size collection, but am not an expert on them.

I have a cousin that lives in MO that has several thousands of arrowheads, spear tips and knives, and pre historic fossils she has found in the 40+ some odd years of her looking. Every inch of her place is packed with them, drawers, cabinets, boxes, shelves, garage, basement, on & on. To top that off that she has 2 of the three hand tools that are even know to exist in the state. She is always being visited by anthropolgists from colleges learning to identify stuff, heck shes just a small town girl who has a hobby of finding them left & right, and a self taught expert.
    I went with her last Sept., I was walking over tips and she said why was I walking all over them....hahaha got 34 tips, all had chips out of them, but it was great picking them up and wondering who made them & what for.

17. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Present those to the fools supporting microstamping !

Can they track the bow it came from?

sick humor sorry

18. coldtrail

coldtrail Member

Call Rod Fuller, 308-882-7700. rodinc@gpcom.net his collection is second to none. He could tell you within $1.00 what they are worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.