1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Arrogant Detroit Cop Filmed During Gun Buy Back

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GoldEx, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

You have to see this to believe it. These guys were legal Michigan Concelaed Weapons holders that showed up at a city of Detroit No Questions Asked gun buy back. They showed up to buy guns too which you can with a CPL here in MI. Pissed the cops off. Talk about an abuse of power.

Jeff

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xhYhwruGMEs" frameborder="0"></iframe>

ss

4. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt TS Member

I have to agree. How stupid of those guys showing up at a gun buy back program (where a lot of the guns are saturday night specials or stolen)and thinking they could buy them in the church parking lot. Freaking idiots. Good thing they were run off. Officers have a tough enough job intead of having to deal with people like this.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I would have to disagree with you MikeyLikesIt. It is perfectly legal to do what they were doing and they weren't there for the Saturday Night Specials. They were trying to buy the guns that were worth a lot more than what the police were willing to buy them for.

If you think for one minute all those guns were going to be destroyed.... Well lets just say I have some land I'd like to sell ya. I have visited some corrupt cities in my days, but Detroit was the worst by far.

ss

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

"I have to agree. How stupid of those guys showing up at a gun buy back program (where a lot of the guns are saturday night specials or stolen)and thinking they could buy them in the church parking lot. Freaking idiots. Good thing they were run off. Officers have a tough enough job intead of having to deal with people like this."

Here we go again with the anti gun rhetoric. What exactly did these guys do wrong? Do you support spending our tax dollars to purchase guns that are going to be destroyed and provide no form of revenue for the city nor reduce or eliminate crime in any such way?

Why exactly couldn't these guys buy the guns in the parking lot? In NY and where they are it is perfectly legal to do so.

7. sliverbulletexpress

Mikey is a troll, starve him please.

8. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt TS Member

There was a little sarcasm in my thread. Why would you want to take the chance on buying a gun at a "no questions asked" gun buy back program. What happens if the guns you bought were in fact stolen. How would you explain to a jury that you paid little of what its worth and had no idea that there were issues with the gun? I value mine and others right to own a gun and wouldn't jeapardize it with a felony stolen gun possesion charge. Also, would you go down to your local gun shop and try to make it a point to buy the used guns coming to the front door. I dont think you would be there very long, just like these guys that were run off. As far as Detroit being corrupt, can't argue that one with you, never been to the place. YMMV. Mike

9. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Mikey,

99% of the guns sold at gun buybacks aren't being sold by criminals. Criminals don't just hand in their guns, it's not like they wake up and decided change their life and give up the life of crime. Why would a gang banger go face to face with a cop to get rid of a weapon when they could just toss it in a river, etc?

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Detroit is not corrupt. It is CORRUPT. Kilpatrick, Conyers, Riddle are the tip of the iceberg.

Mikey, I agree with you. Those guys are idiots. They were not there to help the uninformed get a fair price. They would have given more than the cops but still have taken advantage of the ignorant. Damn stupid way to exercise our CPL rights/privileges.

It would be interesting to get a read from LEO's.

One thing for sure. If you talk back to the "man" you can expect a hassle - even if you are "right". I am not sure that is a bad thing. I was raised to respect the position. For example, I respect the office of the President even though I wish we had a better person in office.

Don Verna

11. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt TS Member

Are you willing to be unlucky enough to be the one that ended up with that 1%? And for what, a little possible finacial gain. Just doesn't seem worth it to me. I have my own reservations about the merits of the program, but that's not what the op's thread was about.

12. sliverbulletexpress

You're missing the point, this "police officer" was making up his own laws as he went along violating these peoples rights obviously he doesn't like "civilians" to own guns.

13. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

"You're missing the point, this "police officer" was making up his own laws as he went along violating these peoples rights obviously he doesn't like "civilians" to own guns."

Exactly, such as says its "illegal to purchase guns on private property".

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The key thing here Is Private Property, and that is to be respected. They were told "This is Private property" early on, and were asked to leave.{but they choose to stay and argue their rights with the men in blue}.

In Mi. you cannot carry inside a church unless you have written permission from the church. If the owner or manager of a property asked you to take your gun and leave, It's in your interest to comply.

If they want to make money, just save up some worthless junkers to "cash in". I heard one guy cut a junk pistol in half, he cashed in one half his buddy the
    other.

How would you like it if you were having a yard sale, then some morons pull in your drive and "set up for biz"?

15. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Only a moron would buy a firearm from some stranger in a Detroit parking lot........Come to think of it.......you'd be a damned fool to do it in any city or state.

Our firearms laws are being interpreted to the very edge of hanging ourselves.....Some think that's exercising their rights....A-holes like these give us all a bad name.....their just trying to make a fast buck. They could care less about "OUR" rights.

16. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

When I was growing up in the South, it was understood that the local judges had the largest gun collections of anyone.

From my family members that married into judge's families, the understanding had a basis in fact.

The judges were just performing a civic duty without pay. Keeping evil guns off the streets.

What was interesting was that no guns ever stolen in a burglary were ever returned to the original owner. Lots of other stuff was, but never any guns.

One neighbor's house was burglarized and the bad guys were caught within two blocks of the house and the stolen guns were in their car trunk. Every gun had the serial number recorded and was photographed by insurance agents sometime before. Even then, the original owner never got his guns back. Thirty years later they are still being kept in an undisclosed location somewhere for evidence. Occasionally, one of the finer shotguns would show up for a dove shoot, but then it had to go back into the undisclosed evidence locker.

The neighbor did get one of the pre-War S&W revolvers back at a judge's estate sale. Paid full collectors value for it.

17. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

"They could care less about "OUR" rights. "

It sounds like they were exercising "their" rights. Whether or not you would do what they did is your choice, but they did nothing wrong and were exercising their rights.

18. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Apparently they were in violation of at least one law and were obviously trying to provoke that cop.......In this case I'll side with the cop , and I never do.....I like to piss off leos, at every opportunity, BUT this time, I believe they were being provoked by idiots pushing their luck.

That, to me, is not exercising your rights....it's being an A-hole.

Exercising your rights does not give one the excuse to break the law, then try to piss off a cop while your doing it.

I think the cop should have busted them for carrying at the church......if your going to CC.....you better learn the rules.

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why would you go to downtown Detroit in the first place?? Lucky they didn't get their dumb asses shot, held up, mugged or all three.

Don

20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

There was a gun buy back here in my town years ago. I was on the PUBLIC SIDEWALK. I wouldn't be on the church property because I was trying to inform the people of what they had when thye were trying to take the money the church was giving them. The minister came out and told TOLD ME to leave. I told him that I was on public property and that he was out of line to tell me to leave. He went off and then went inside and told the police to get rid of me. They looked at him and told him that I was on public property and I had every right to be there and they couldn't do a thing. BOY was he mad. There also was a guy there who was trying to buy some of the guns. I don't know if he had any luck or not. In my state you can buy guns without a lic.

The cops took all the guns and put them in the basement of the police station. They stayed there for sometime and to this day we don't know what happened to them.

About a week later the AM radio staion had a talk show on the gun buy back. I called the minister who lived down the road from me and told him to listen. The show was 95% anti buy back and only about 5% for it. After the hour show on the radio I called him back and he then started to address me as Mr and not hey you. LOL. He didn't try another buy back again.

As for the video the people there trying to buy the guns on church property I say they were wrong in doing so. They should have been on the sidewalk. But I will also add that the cop was out of line. Telling the people to leave but not giving them back their ID's. Also from what I could tell there was nothing to investigate. He was also way out of line for the way he was acting. Hope the video lands on the mayors desk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.