1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Arnold Reiggers book?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gatguy, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

What is his autobiography worth? Is it worth it for tips, etc?
    Dick

2. fishguts

fishguts Member

About 15 years ago I bought Arnold Reiggers book. It was $10 and about 60 or 70 pages. They were xeroxed copies of typewritten pages and old photo's and ad's and programs. The book was stapled together at the top. BUT, I really enjoyed reading about his career. There was a lot of shooting stories and lots of scores and such. If you want tip's, there won't be any. There won't be any secret loads. There won't be any special gun tricks or adjustments, unless you consider a piece of cardboard under the recoil pad as one. The book was interesting and fun. I have lost my copy but would gladly buy another copy of the copy of the copy of the book.

Wayne

3. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Gatguy, I bought AR's book when I first started shooting Trap in about 1988. I was really interested in Trapshooting history at the time. Reigger's book is a fun read. There were not many shooting tips in it, so I called Arnold one day and decided to pick his brain a little. Basically, he shot a stock Winchester Model 12. He had two of them; a primary gun and a backup. His triggers had about a 3.5 pound pull and he used a lace on pad to raise the comb to get the correct point of impact.

I talked to a couple of older shooters who competed against him in the 1950s and 60's and they all said that he was a very smooth shooter. He was a natural. Short, stocky and with no neck to lift his head off the stock! I wish I could have seen him shoot in his prime. I heard that AR would hitch hike or fly to a shoot with a one way ticket with the intentions of winning a car to drive back home!

Get the book if you can just for nostalgia. It will take you back to a time where the Model 12 ruled the Trap line and you could go to a Trap shoot and win a car!

Hit 'em hard,

John

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Heck, after a trapshoot at Vandalia, I was lucky to find my car!

5. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Actually it was a very happy ending to a life story...when you read his story, he had an alcohol problem most of his life, but in the end he got clean and ended up trusting in God to help him in his life.
    AR wrote 2 books as far as I know...the one was about his shooting accomplishments, very interesting. The other book was about his life and about how he started to trust and believe in God, and the change that took place.
    Both books are worth the $10.00. puablo

6. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I have been trying to buy everything I can from the past and current trapshooters about their life or trapshooting, It's kinda a library. If anyone can help me get these two books, about Arnold, I would be greatful.

Tom Strunk

7. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

Thanks guys, guess I got took, I paid $70 for an autographed, inscribed original. Didn't see any for $10. Haven't read it all the way yet and it'd mostly scores, etc. so far.

Dick

8. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

I met him once in Reno around 1962 or so. A really nice man, but there was such a crowd around him that I was lucky to shake hands with him. A legend for sure!
    Dick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.