1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ARNOLD REIGGER ONE OF THE BEST

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Phil Ross, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Phil Ross

Phil Ross TS Member

I shot with Arnold Riegger at the Utah State Pita Champion ship with my Father, George Ross in 1957.
    Arnold and I broke all the 16yd targets and got us into and out of state, shoot off. Dad told me if I broke 75x75 I would win, but Dad was wrong. Arnold broke a 100x100. and I missed my 97th shot for 99x100. All though I was only a Sub-Junior, I realized I just shot with best ever would encounter. I was so lucky to meet Mr. Riegger and got to admire his out standing career!

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

always a thrill to shoot with a giant in our sport...

Ron Burr

3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Phil,
    Thanks for the story from the past, very interesting, what else do you remember seeing or hearing about Mr. Riegger? I read every trap story from the past I can, they tell a lot about the man or woman's character and who they were when they were on top, all seem to have styles of their own. Scott

4. kenf

kenf Active Member

It is interesting to read the profiles of the Hall of Famers and how successful they were with the equipment of the day, but I wonder how consistently they shot the big scores compared to the big guns of today- although the competition factor back then likely wasn't has tight as it is today.

5. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

What gun was Arnold shooting at that time? I'm guessing it was the single barrel Winchester hammer gun; correct?

Great shooting on your part also. And, what was your shotgun of choice?

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Arnold actually shot Two model 37 Winchester until he shot them so much they wouldn't open. Winchester built a special model 37 for Arnold, complete with rib and checkering. I believe it's still on display at the Buffalo Bill Cody museum in Cody Wy.

Then he went to a model 12 Winchester. It was with the model 12 most of Arnold records were set. I believe it's the gun the was on display at Harold's Club.

That I know of Arnold never shot anything but Winchester's in competition. In his later years Arnold sold an KFC brand O/U made in Japan. The last time I shot with him that was what he used. He hadn't shot for some time. We shot 50 Doubles targets and he only missed two. He said he must have had holes in the pattern :)

Ajax

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Arnold was probably the most dominating shooter in ATA registered shooting, ever!

HAP

8. Phil Ross

Phil Ross TS Member

I was shooting a 870 Rimmington pump gun, when I shot that champion ship in Utah with Mr. Reigger.

9. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

AND THEY INCREASED THE MAX HANDICAP BECAUSE OF HIS DOMINENCE!! WINK WINK

JIMMY BORUM
    PS. HELLO PHIL

10. Phil Ross

Phil Ross TS Member

Hi Jimmy,
    Are you shooting???? :)

11. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

The best thing about Arnold Reigger that I like is the fantastic transformation that took place in his life.

I know all about the great shooting records...probably one of the greatest shooters ever in our sport, especially considering the equipment that he used.
    But that's not what I'm talking about...if you read his one autobiography book that he wrote, you will see what I'm talking about...Arnold was quite open about a lot of problems he had during his lifetime, but it is a great story about God's power working in a person's life to bring good change for him. You can see that at the endtime of his life, the thing that turned out being most important to him was not all the fame, trophies and records he achieved at trapshooting. To him the most important thing was his relationship with God, who rescued him from a life of destruction.

So to me, I take my hat off to a man who achieved great stature during his life and beyond because of his decision to follow the Lord!

12. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

I can't find where Utah ever shot PITA.

Could it have been ATA?

13. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

It's my understanding that Arnold sold Ljutic Shotshell Reloaders and reloaded his shells on them.

14. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

There is a shot gun of his on display in the NRA museume in bass pro shop in Springfield MO right now. They have one of Dan Orlichs ljutics along with Nadines gun.

15. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

Arnold Sold reloading supplies for years after he Quit shooting,,,When he was inducted into the P.I.T.A. hall of fame he shot 20 targets and was straight .I bought supplies from him,but, could hardly hear what he would say ,He had, had throat cancer,,It was fun to see a legend shoot ,,,,MX8Dave

16. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Vic Reinders, who was from Iowa, was riding on a train to a shoot when Arnold asked him why it took longer to pass through some states than others. Vic said Arnold thought they all the same size!

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Threads like this one are what makes TS.com a great place. Thanks Phil

18. Scott Johnson

some one with great memory please add to this thread, the past is very interesting, it was a different world back then. . Scott

19. wm rike

wm rike Member

Arnold Riegger was certainly one of the best natural-talent shooters the sport has seen. He was hot from the very start. What is somewhat surprising to me is that his time at the pinnacle was relatively short. After about 1955, the year when fear of Riegger pushed the fence to 27 yds., he was being eclipsed by other shooters. His yearly target count was erratic after '55, his singles average was off a bit, and his handicap averages were off quite a bit. Health issues probably accounted for a lot of this. Still, in his prime, he cut a wide swath.

20. Scott Johnson

What were some of his accomplishments at the Grand? Scott