1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Army ammo ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have some old army 30-06 ammo and never shot it but was told that it may have a corrosive problem to the bbl---Any thoughts will help---Thanks---George@SJB---

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I think alot has to do with the coating and primer as to it being corrosive or not. I'm no expert but have had some nasty military surplus ammo.---Matt

3. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You need to determine what you have. Those in the know will need to see the head stamp, and or the packaging and they can tell very accurately what you have and tell you if it's corrosive. You could possibly have some that is and some that is not unless you verify it's all the same.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What is the head stamp? If it is US manufactured stuff there will be a year and a plant ID. The year is just 2 digits like 42 or 53 for 1942 or 1953 etc.
    If your ammo has a pre 60 date then the primers are probably corrosive. Good news is just clean your barrel and chamber well after shooting the stuff and you won't have any problems. Still a lot of 03' Springfields and Garands out there that have shot lots of corrosive ammo and yet still have great bores as a result of proper care.

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

They are not packaged but loose---If corrossive will it hurt the bbl or receiver?---Thanks---George

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If you clean the gun thouroughly after shooting you will be fine.---Matt

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They become "corrosive" when they are fired. Just clean your barrel well after shooting it. I used to use a wet/damp (water) patch or two and then clean as usual with solvents, brushes and patches. Light oil and you are good to go. The brass should be reloadable, but I'd deprime and tumble it within a short time after firing it, making sure to clean the primer pockets well.

8. TC

TC TS Member

Does anybody know when the switch was made to noncorrosive primers for M-1 ball? Pretty sure the carbine always was noncorrosive.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Around 1953 they started to switch to non corrosive primers... anything before that date is corrosive.

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

There is nothing to fear from shooting corrosive ammo. You have to clean first with water then a dry patch then oil. It's that simple. Really!

11. kd185

kd185 Member

whats the head stamp on the brass?
    has it been reloaded or is it still factory original?

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Head stamp is S L 3 5---I don't think they were reloaded but I can see some red dye around the edge of the primer---George

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If I remember right if it has a stamp on the base of 53 and before date or year it is. If its 54 up it shouldn't be. To be safe I would only shoot dated 60 and up.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

DO NOT just give the bore a good cleaning after shooting ammo with corrosive primers. The normal oil based solvents, like Hoppe's, will not wash away the corrosive salts left after shooting.

The way I did it when I shot ammo with corrosive primers is after the last shot, while the barrel is still hot, run a few patches through the bore soaked with Windex, yep, plain old Windex.

I don't know if its the ammonia in the Windex, or just the liquid that washes away the salts, but I guarantee it works.

Here's a handy way to test whether the primers are corrosive:

Take a cartridge, and with a bullet puller, pull the bullet and empty the powder out.

Take a plain, steel finishing nail, and some sandpaper, sand it down to shiny bare metal, and clean it off with some alcohol to make sure all oils are gone from the surface.

Place the nail in the empty cartridge, chamber the cartridge, and pull the trigger to ignite the primer (pointing up, of course, so the nail doesn't fall out.) And no, the nail will NOT come flying out the muzzle. Wear ear plugs, the primer will be loud.

Unload the cartridge, and, without touching it with your fingers, pull the nail out of the cartridge. Use pliers or something.

Then, still not touching the nail, nail it to your workbench in your garage.

Look at it the next day (it shouldn't take but over night.)

If the nail is rusty, the primers are corrosive.

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

What does the S L 3 5 represent?---What is the best way to pull the bullet--I don't have a bullet remover---Sorry,I am a shotgun guy but do have 30-06 for hunting and had this stuff around for yrs and would like to shoot it off without any damage to my gun---ThanksSJB---

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Find a buddy who reloads rifle cartridges. He'll probably have a bullet puller. Take him a few cartridges and have him pull the bullets for you.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

SL 35 is corrosive ammo. SL stands for Saint Louis, that's where it was made. The 35 stands for 1935, the year it was manufactured. Timb99 is right, normal cleaning does not work. Only the primer is corrosive, the bullet, powder and case are good. HMB

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thats unreal---75 yrs old---It's a shame to shoot them---SJB---

19. Maurice

Maurice Member

Old military ammo with Mercuric primers is corrosive but with proper cleaning methods will not cause any problems. As a member of the British Army I shot many thousands of rounds through the Lee Enfield with no problems. Standard procedure was to flush barrel with hot water the pull through patches until clean then pull through with oily patch, In combat situations when no hot water was available we pissed through the barrel and it worked. Maurice ( The Brit. )

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Top of the morning to you Sniper! Hope all is well.

Shannon from MI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.