1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Armslist

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sharp1, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

Anyone ever use this site? I have found a deal yet its a private party and "Cash Only Deal". Any suggestions on how I can avoid a scam? The price is very good,, almost too good imo. GL

2. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Make certain you follow the appropriate law and firearm regulations

Armslist is just like craigslist-

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

Gene,

The seller did mention shipping to my ffl so that is good. I just dont feel that great sending 2G to a private individual... Maybe ask for referances? Hmmm

4. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Sharp1,

I wonder if we are looking at the same gun? Listed on Armslist for $3200. Same gun, description and pictures on Gunbroker for $7200. Between Armslist, Gunbroker and personel contact with seller...three different addresses.

milt

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Shipping to your FFL doesn't assure you of receiving what you paid for. My worry is that if he plans on defrauding, he has NO plans to ship anything once he receives my money.

milt

6. greendrake

greendrake Member

Yes it is spooky. We agreed on price and shipping but when it came time for payment he wanted me to wire the money. When i went to my bank they said that it was the wrong routing number. He then wanted me to send western union. This scared me, so i offered him a cashiers check. He agreed under a new name so i sent it registered plus signature guaranteed. On the day the payment was to arrive He emailed me wanting me to stop delivery because he was going through a divorce. I insisted that the check was sent to him and that he must ship the gun. He said no and did not help. I called his old post office and the good Lord was on my side, as the postmaster grabbed it and returned it to me. I redeposited it to my account. The dirt bag had the nerve to ask me if i still wanted the weapon. My banker explained to me that at least with a cashiers check I could track the payment, but I hated the whole deal. In hind sight, I will insist that he send it to my ffl and if it passes my muster, i will forward the funds. I know that they will refuse so it is a moot point but I sure hated having no control. russ l

7. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

Anyone close to Moss Point MS??? Be willing to check-out a trap gun for me?

Thanks

8. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Lots of bad flags on that deal

You could always have him take to a gun dealer for this price- who would then ship it to your dealer

might be worth the extra 35-50 bucks

just an idea

Gene

9. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

ARMSLIST is a breeding ground for fraud and scams. I would never buy anything that you didn't meet face to face to pay and receive the item. If you click on the sellers other listings or items for sale, on the posting, it will pop up what they are selling. BEWARE of someone who is selling in several states with deals that are way too good. The only safe way by mail is have the party ship through an FFL dealer to yours and have your FFL send payment to his FFL, not them. No one will risk their license for a scam. Many items too good to be true are downloaded pictures from other sites and are complete scams. I have bought and sold guns on Armslist locally with face to face meetings. I meet them in the parking lot of Bass Pro, Sportsman's or Gander Mountain and look at ID for age and residency. Never have people come to your home.

10. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

You nailed it MX8 on the site it list Georgia and the e-mail they stated MS...I like the FFL to FFL idea, I will offer that option. Thanks

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

WESTERN UNION....NO NO NO! The home base for scammers.

Listen, folks, any time you a;re worried about a seller have an FFL dealer on his end handle the transaction. Not many dealers are willing to lose their license to help a scammer.

HM

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

13. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

I have not used armslist, but my father in law has bought a few things. I saw something that caught my eye though. I saw a trap gun listed about 25% lower than the going price. The pictures looked familiar. They were copies of a listing from a gunbroker auction that I was also watching. I looked at other items the person was selling and I saw that they had listings in 5 other states. If I were ever to buy anything, it would have to be face to face. I would also want a clean picture of the serial number and tell them I was going to run the numbers by a LEO. It looks like a quick place to cash in on something stolen.

just my opinion,

Todd

14. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I've used Armslist many, many times but only for local deals - face to face - no problems at all. I've sold and bought. I would not buy sight unseen.

15. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

Somehow I get the feeling that all the listers are pawn shops looking to sell.
    I approached one on there once and asked about the 3 day inspection. I should be able to send it back if I dont like it for any reason. They said they want the opportunity to try to fix it. If its not to my liking I shouldnt have to go that route. If I dont like it for whatever reason I dont, and that should be good enough for anyone. So yes be careful!

16. spritc

spritc Active Member

Face to face only on Armslist!

17. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Simple: Have him take the gun to an FFL (look up the FFL dealer in the ATF website and see if the guy is bonafide...a call to the local police department is also a good idea to really make sure the guy is legit)....pay the FFL dealer with USPS money orders or credit card (it is worth the extra 3%)....have him send it to your FFL....

This deal sounds too good to be true...and as you know, if it is too good to be true it probably isn't.......anytime anyone wants CASH ONLY, there is a 99% probability it is a rip-off!

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you want to buy a gun sight unseen, buy it on this site from a trusted seller. There are many folks here whose word is good as gold.

19. kenf

kenf Active Member

I've bought three from Armslist. Was happy with two of them, but I wasn't crazy about a Varmint Special I got from a guy. The barrel channel was poorly hogged out to float the barrel. I should have asked to send it back, but ended up selling it for a small loss. Lesson learned to ask about everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.