1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Armed Forces Trap Championships (Idea)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ronbo142, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

All

I am a long time member of the Armed Forces Skeet Association. Annually the association sponsors a championship at different venues participants are active duty and honorably retired military members. The association gives away over $20,000.00 in prizes to include guns, knives, silver coins, and traveling trophies.

My question is this:

Is there any interest in holding an Armed Forces Trap Championship?

Ronbo

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

I think but I might be mistaken but I think the Army and the Air Force shoot the more difficult international version of trap.

3. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Excellent idea. Many AF bases have regular ATA leagues.

4. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Yes I know but what about American Style I am sure that there are a significant amount of Active Duty and Retired military shooters out there. The Armed Forces Skeet Championships is getting ready to have its 50th shoot in 2010.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

great idea- needs someone to run with the ball --

Gene

6. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

That would be ME if I get enough interest.

Ronbo

7. Chipshot

Chipshot TS Member

Ronbo,
    I had thought about the same thing at one time. In 2002, I found that retired General Pickitt (can't remember if he was Army or Air Force) had started something when he was on active duty and then when his Pentagon supporters retired and/or transferred, the interest faded. I'd be interested but not sure how much time I'd have available to help get things going. Fort Bragg has adequate fields for hosting something like this and I'm sure there are other bases around the country that have enough fields. As always, the WSRC would be an outstanding place to hold an Armed SERVICES (remember the name contorversy in 2002?) Trap Championships.

Bob Mizner
    ATA Life Member #9801608

8. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Bob

Yes I remember have to be carful on the names or you get sued or at least threatend.

As for the ASSC Championships I was hoping that 2010 would be a good time to host in Sparta for the 50th. We could host a Trap Championship at the same time. My little buddy MSgt John Barnes (USAF) and ASSC HOF Member is one heck of a Trap Shooter.

I am interested to see how this thread goes.

Ronbo

9. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Ronbo,
    Great idea!!!

Scott AFB is a stones throw from WSRC and both places quite able to provide facilities. What a great event and place to host it. Hope you can get it going, it will be worth the effort. So start running with the ball!

CA

10. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Bob

Would you mind writing down some ideas, I think that for wider distribution a short article in Trap and Field would be in order. I will also contact the ATA I met the marketing rep at the NRA convention she was very freindly she might be able to provide some ideas or support.

Ronbo

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It doesnt have to be held at a military base - in fact any club could host it

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Sounds like a great idea. Will be easier to conduct the event at a civilian club. Since 9/11, bringing firearms on a military base is almost impossible unless you are stationed there. We shoot at NAS Jax and you must be a member of the club, have all weapons registered by serial number and only those weapons can be brought on base and you can only transport the weapons to the range with not side stops at the bx, etc.

I had thought about staying at Scotts AFB during the Grand but would have to leave my shotguns and ammo with friend staying off base.

If this idea gets off the ground, will be glad to help in anyway possible

Van

13. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

I would be in!

Sgt. Riplinger
    USMC

If something was put together anywhere and I got enough notice I would make time to come!

14. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

Ronbo,
    I would be interested in the ASSC is there a website?
    Let me know,
    Thanks Matt

15. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

COUNT ME IN-RICK ZINO

16. Chipshot

Chipshot TS Member

Ronbo,
    I sent you an e-mail with the proposed program from 2002 and another file with some of the thoughts from the past.

Bob

17. 3200

3200 TS Member

Ronbo,

The idea is sound. To get it off the ground it might be wise to contact the various service component 'Morale, Welfare and Recreation' departments to see what they may have to offer. Likewise, you may want to contact Don Snyder (CMSgt, USAF Ret) and a director at NCSA/NSSA. Don was a USAF skeet shooter and will undoubtedly have some insight as to what it would take to get this off the ground, and possibly some service component contacts.

As a side note, when I was enlisted in the USAF, each year prior to the Armed Forces Shoot, MWR published a message stating the date, time, place and procedure to go thru to get permissive TDY to attend. In essence permissive TDY was non-charged, paid leave (vacation).

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ronbo, great idea guy! Hype it up as a we versus them shoot format and the people will come. Army/Navy winner challenges the winner of the Air Force/Marine shootout or some such agenda. It works well too with HPs/sheriff/fire/Dept.of fish/game guys. Hap

19. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

I would be more that willing to spread the word of a shoot around at the VA in North Chicago IL and a lot of guys that shoot at my club are Vets.

20. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.