1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Armalite Shotgun and Patterns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnpe, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnpe

johnpe Member

This is for you grey beards out there. The other day a conversation reminded me of a shotgun I'd seen in a shooting magazine probably about the mid-1960's. It was an Armalite all aluminum shotgun annodized gold with some special choke tubes in addition to the usual IC, Mod., and Full. These chokes threw patterns that, if I remember correctly, had aspect ratios of 2 to 1 and 4 to 1. Meaning that the latter one threw a pattern four times as wide as it was tall. It was to be used at skeet. I also seem to remember the writer had shot two patterns on a target that showed a distinct "X". It was stated that Armalite had used fluid dynamics to design the chokes. My question is: Is my memory correct and if not what was the shotgun and what did it do? If true, it seems to me that one of the tube manufacturers, like Briley, could purchase the knowledge from Armalite and give trapshooters a choke that would really shine when shooting from the back fence. Obviously, I'm not talking about the aspect ratios mentioned above, but chokes that would print 90-95% patterns at the distance 27 yard targets are broken. Your enlightenment will be appreciated.

Johnpe

2. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had one. I don't remember the AR model number, but it was called the Armalite golden gun. Gold anodized aluminum with a steel barrel liner and a plastic stock, screw "on" choke tubes. Two shot auto, a little over 4 pounds and kicked like hell. I couldn't imagine shooting a round of skeet or trap, but it was nice to carry. Never patterned it. Bill

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=555380

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Nice quail gun, light as a feather.

Pal Frank got one at an awards dinner.

Might still have it.

HM

5. Franklin

Franklin TS Member

about 35-40 years ago, i sent a customers shotgun to texas for a soldered on "dial a duck " like device. i think the company was called t&w or a&w something. the diverter was to throw a wider than normal pattern with less vertical pattern. the customer used it on ducks and claimed it worked well.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

So, any guesses on the value of one of these? One on gunbroker @ $1200 with no bids. Just wonderin'.

Bob Falfa

7. johnpe

johnpe Member

Thanks a bunch for the information. All of the respondents generally agreed with my memory. At least so far, it hasn't gone the away. The picture was great. I'd still like to know if anyone has any information as to using fluid dynamics or some other design information to come up with a really long range choke.

Johnpe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.