1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Arm teachers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by CharlesK80, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

The suggestion is made that every and all teachers should be armed in grade and high schools. Trained and armed with man stopping loads. Trained to shot to kill.

How many bullets/clips do you give her? Where does she keep the gun? Locked? How does she respond when the bad guy tells her to give him her gun, or he will kill a student? Or another teacher? Or unarmed staff?

Do we want a public school to be an armory? Guns in all the classrooms just does not appeal to me.

Might a better solution be armed security guards? Still not a perfect solution.

This is nuts!

Thanks NRA. You have been a big help!

2. winselect

winselect TS Member

It's a sad situation that we are having to talk about this, that being said I'm all for armed security guards and armed principals. Gun control is not the answer.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A teacher with a gun in their hand gives the students (and everyone else) a much better chance (well, actually A chance, since they have no chance otherwise) than trying to use their body as a shield while they cower in a corner or closet hoping the gunman goes away.

Not sure where I read this over the past few days, but it seemed pretty accurate, "If I can't trust my child's teacher with a firearm, I can't trust them with my child".

4. winselect

winselect TS Member

Amen Skeet_man

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

"If I can't trust my child's teacher with a firearm, I can't trust them with my child".

Pretty much sums it up, I would say!!!

It would be a fast way of weeding out the useless ones!!!

6. mnhomebrewer

mnhomebrewer TS Member

Although I am a teacher and a very good shot, not a good idea. I have a bullet proof door and fire extinguisher at my disposal, no one is getting into my room without a fight. Have you not seen 'the best defense' on outdoor channel?
    We have a police officer in the school who does have a firearm and that is good enough for me.
    I would like some bear spray though.
    Just in case.
    Matt

7. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

8. 548

548 Guest

You guys are insane. I work in a department with 500 officers. There are countless officers I will not take the firing line with because they scare me with their firearm ineptitude. These are people who train constantly and carry a firearm as a condition of employment.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

No charles we dont want to make the school an armory for all the reasons you mention

Teachers are to teach and safeguard their students but that really means a lockdown or whatever other procedure might be appropriate at the time - not running down hallways, pooping in their pants , while they leave the students behnd

Pay a professional police officer or get some security training program to use some returning army or marine corps vets

Harden the front doors and the classroom doors

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My ex-wife was a teacher-'nuff said!!

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

LMAO @ olie

12. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Gun control -- NO

Idiot control -- YES

Of course, it is easier to control guns than the mentally disturbed....m

13. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Maybe we should be asking the teachers if they want to be armed, since they seem to be the ones in harm's way.

Would I support the ones that do, yes. If they're smart enough to be teachers they're smart enough to be trained to carry a firearm. Train them along side LEO and keep training them. Shoot, don't shoot drill them until they know how to handle most situations. Pay them extra for the additional responsibilities and training.

The firearms could be locked in a safe in the classroom. Firearm of choice a Glock 19, because it's easy for anyone to operate under stress.

If a hostage situation occurs then I assume the same thing would happen as with LEO, they would feel like crapping their pants and wait for back up. See the linked video. This SRO is lucky to be alive.

I believe the mere knowledge that there are traind and armed teachers in the school would be enough to deter most wackos.

If all of this disturbs you, then at least give them some defensive training and arm them with bear spray, body armor and more security measures.

FYI, I have 10 years Military and LEO, and readily admit I'd be nervous as hell if confronted by a gun weilding nut, but I would hope to react appropriately.

Tim

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

At least give them something like the Kimber Pepperblaster II

Instead of being totally defenseless

15. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Back in the 1970's, when planes were being hijacked, there was an episode on tv that Archie Bunker said to stop all these hijacks, we need to give each passenger a gun when he or she boards a plane.

When my son was in highschool, we experienced a shooting at his school. One afternoon I drove to pick him up and there were tv news trucks in front of the school, as adults and children were running into the street.

I asked what was going on and a former student who was visiting the school after he graduated was told by the assistant principle that he could not be in the school.

He left, and came back in shot and killed the asst.principle. The man was killed in a school hallway near my son's room that he was in. As a parent, I can not tell you the fear, the anger, that I had.

A couple days later the police found the young man hiding in the basement of a nearby appartment building. My son, until this guy was caught, could not sleep well, made sure all shades and drapes were closed in the house.

For the next month, parents volentered sitting at a desk at the main entrance to the building and everyone had to sign in and out and state their reason they were at the school.

Here is my solution to this problem. Parents need to volenter to sit at the front entrance and monitor comming and going of visitors. Need volenters to walk the halls, and each school needs to have a metal dectector at the front entrance.

One of the schools in Milwaukee, has this same set up. I asked a parent who volenters if they have had any shootings since this was enacted, and the answer was no.

He said the students hide their guns in the bushes before they come to class, and they have people who carry a wand checking the bushes and the guns are confiscated.

This school has also incorpoated the police department on the same premises.
    I know this is crazy, but this was necessary to stop the violence at this particular school.

Now if someone wants to shoot someone, they do it on a bus, or in their own neighborhood.
    Steve Balistreri

16. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

The Harrold ISD in Wilbarger County, Texas (near Wichita Falls) has had a successful program of arming teachers since August of 2008. Texas has an "open enrollment program whereby students may attend schools outside the district in which they reside.

Only 18% of the students attending Harrold ISD reside within the district. The other 82% attend out of choice.

17. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I was a teacher and a school administrator. I constantly plead to be permitted to carry my Glock. They just thought I was a nut and this was even after the Ryan Harris school hostage and shooting right in my high school building. It was one of, if not the first, incident in the country.

Ryan tried to shoot two deputies but missed. In fact there were two SWAT snipers on the roof of the adjacent gymnasium complex who were able to shoot, but it was a third floor room, thick plate glass window and a terrible angle. Consequently, they did not shoot.

My office had one way in and that was the way out. No widows to crawl out of, and I'm afraid my fire extinsuisher would have been useless against a shooter. I'd rather have had a baseball bat. I didn't mind, nor was afraid of a shooter entering, what I WAS afraid of was not being able to respond in kind.

They (shool officials) just don't get it. They need to take a look at what Israel and other areas here have done.

I was pleasantly surprised to read a couple of the above threads that indicated some districts do permit such a practice.

As I have stated on other threads, all middle high school buildings here (SD) have PD or SO armed officers in-house full time. That would not have stopped the shooter in an elementary setting. In fact, about 15 years ago I plead with the superintendent to make our liaison L/E folks full time and that was accepted.

Until we have a way to measure physcholgical stability, we are not going to solve the problem. Now, some school are receiving shooting threats, and here they want to let school out a couple of days early because. All this is going to do is perpetuate the tag-along idiots.

Shoot back - that's what it is going to take.

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Great idea, geniuses...give teachers guns in schools so that a bunch of dorks can jump a teacher, take the gun and be armed courtesy of the school. It happens to police...it will happen to teachers a lot more easily. There's too much testosterone in this thread and not nearly enough intelligent thinking. This is not Israel!

Keller

19. archangel

archangel Member

Not Israel? no we are not, we don't have their single mindedness of preservation. When was the last time an Israeli plane was hijacked. We live in a nation of tollerance: we tollerate drug dealers, violent crime, child abusers, drunk drivers ect and give them second chances over and over. most of the child abuse that has ended in death has been caused by repeat offenders, The Isralies know whom their enemy is ,we haven't accepted ours. I'm not tying to inflame anyone,I'm 60 years old and my country has changed in my life time, many of our problems i believe are the result of social experiments that were stared 30-40 years ago, for example the closing of mental hospitals and turning the patients out into the street, or LBJ's Great Society, or our acceptance of drug abuse. Guns in school may be one viable solution that could be explored. I do think the person who is giving the free handgun training to school personel is on to something: the response was much greater than he expected. I would hope our gun clubs would reach out to these areas of our population as a good will jesture and to destigmatize the shooting sports. Our club had a group of girl scouts for a day: thats what we should be doing. mike- sorry if i rambled

20. Lyle

Lyle Member

Whiz,

I have read your threads over the years and you always make so much sense. You are on the money with this one too.

I also am a school administrator, not retired. What is INSANE IS having multiple staff members who are combat veterans who are not allowed to carry. On my staff currently we have a Vietnam Vet who was a sniper and we also have a Vet that was in the special forces. These fine men are not allowed to carry and will have to be a target just like the rest of us.

I do not wish to be a hero. I would rather be armed and breathing.

Lyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.