1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Arm Swinging

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kgunner, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgunner

kgunner TS Member

Discussion came up yesterday regarding the cause for "arm swinging" the gun and the (usual) resulting miss. Some of the ideas were:

A. Poor gun fit with either a too long, too short or too low a stock.

B. Lifting the head or raising the eyes.

C. A type of a flinch.

D. Incorrect stance, especially for hard left or right targets.

E. Lack of concentration.

Any of the experts on this site have any thoughts on the matter and what is the suggested cure.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Failure to move at the waist. Once established, you have to move your mounted gun with your body. If you can't or don't, you have to move the gun with your arms which breaks down the geometry of the mount and mis-aligns the eye/bore relatonship.

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The cause could in involve any or all of the above or simply an unfortunate habit that involves none of them. More likely arm swinging is just a bad habit.

The cure is more difficult because swinging with body rotation requires the use of muscles that you are not used to using. All of the above aid in the use of body rotation when they are correct but they are not a requirement for body rotation to be used.

"A." involves separate problems. Stock dimensions affect shooting form but they are not direct causes of arm swinging.

"B." - Head-raising could be caused by too much drop at the comb or too little drop at the heel. A low gun mount could be a factor, especially when coupled with an inadequate drop at the heel.

The eyes need to be raised when a low gun hold is used. Targets are launched and appear above the trap house roof and if the gun is held lower than the front edge of the roof eyes have to be raised to see targets.

"C." - I doubt that arm swinging involves a type of flinch because it would do nothing to avoid flinching or reduce whatever might be causing the flinch.

"D." - Stance could definitely be involved in arm swinging, especially to the side opposite the side of the gun mount. The stance could limit the ability to use body rotation.

"E." - Concentration is a conscious effort and would have to be involved when breaking the arm-swinging habit until muscle memory is created and body rotation becomes automatic.

Another thing that promotes arm swinging is the height of the trigger-hand elbow. A low elbow makes arm-swinging and head raising easier.

Practice at home would be necessary to break the habit because your mind is involved with other things when you are shooting. Pr acting body rotation would also be a good time to practice gun mounting to make mounts consistent.

Rollin

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I find myself swinging from the ankles up rather from the waist up. I wonder how hazardous of a practice this is.

Guy Babin

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Guy, Me too. Arthritic lower back and loss of mobility. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

OK, so who has now stood up an done the Twist?

7. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

On every hard left or right.

8. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

Just had an issue with this at my last shoot. What I discovered was I had my left hand grip all the way at the front of the forend. At least for me this seemed to promote getting whippy with my arms. I shortened up the left arm and the problem went away. Just took too many birds to figure it our for any benefit that day.
    Dan

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Guy- Where or how you swing a shotgun is not too important as long as you keep your upper body moving as a single unit.

I have been told that some practice swinging at home. Some will swing to the right, others will swing to the left and a few will swing both ways.

Pat Ireland

10. COBIGGUNJR12

COBIGGUNJR12 TS Member

I USED TO ARM SHOOT ALL THE TIME AND I SHOT REALLY BAD MOST OF THE TIME. FOR ME IT WAS THAT MY STANCE WAS WRONG AND ONCE I CORRECTED MY STANCE I STARTED WITH MY BODY AND NOT MY ARMS AND MY SCORES JUMPED UP ALOT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.