1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Arm Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mo Bill, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mo Bill

Mo Bill Member

I know I am guilty of this.I am right handed.Post 1 hard lefts...
    even arm shooting..I seem to catch up with them,although at times
    I lock up ie..run out of swing.Post 5 is really bad on the hard rights.
    I know i'm pushing the comb away from my face..resulting in ..lost!
    I know i'm supposed to pivot at the waist,but seem incapable of doing
    it.If I try to concentrate on the waist pivot other components of the
    process go awry.

I sure would appreciate any helpful insights regarding this problem.
    Maybe Phil will see this thread and be ablt to help.

Thanks

Mo Bill

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Same problem If your shooting north your feet should be east .

3. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

try standing with your feet much closer together....usually their too far apart when your swinging your arms.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Don't shoot your arms.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

A slight break (bend) at the left knee will help your pivot.

6. just_bob

just_bob Member

Some would suggest you think in terms of starting your swing from the ground up.
    A little shift of weight to the front foot helps too.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I shoot with folks who are at the stage of life where they have little flexibility. They move and flex where they can.

Make a determination to keep your head on your stock. Arm shooting will cause you to move the gun away from the head on a bird going to the outside of your gun side. Starting your swing from the ground up often causes one to lift their heel on the side opposite the gun off the ground.

I also like for a right handed shooter, when on Post Five, to have his foot position as noted by ALF-99. This helps take the "hard" out of hard right.

I want the bird and the gun to do all the work. I want to have all the fun. We DO shoot for fun, don't we? LOL

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Bill,

Often, the cause of arm-swings is related to the stance being used. If the feet are pointing in the wrong direction, rotation at the waist and hips enough to swing to extreme targets is in a word, impossible.

For right-handed shooters on stations 1 and 5, position your feet no more than shoulder width apart and so a line drawn across your toes is parallel to a line drawn down station 5 (station 1 for left-handed shooters). For most shooters, this stance can be used on all stations, 1 through 5.

Bending slightly at the waist may help as might putting weight on your forward foot but you want to remain as stable as possible on both feet to avoid losing your balance when shooting on windy days. It is also beneficial to use the same stance on all stations under all conditions.

Practicing waist/hip body rotation swings at home to get used to using the legs to power your swings will help. Like many new things though, learning to swing correctly without having to think about it when you shoot will take time to develop. Keep at it until it becomes natural because smooth swings and keeping the head in the same position relative to the rib during swings is vary important.

Rollin

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

crab- I, like you have found that moving my feet closer together will help me move my body as a unit.

If you shoot at a club with 50 yard distance stakes, proper foot position is a little easier. Your feet should be at an angle to align your body with the middle of the possible target angles from that post. The line between your post and the 50 yard stake will always be the middle of the possible angles from that post. Most right handed shooters can swing to the left a little easier than to the right so cheating just a bit to the right does not hurt.

Pat Ireland

10. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Go to the Bathroom before you shoot and take a dump, this way you wont have to be squeezing your cheeks and you will be able to swing from your hips.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Mike is right, bend your knee.

HM

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Rollin and halfmile above have it exactly right...concentrate on staying "in the gun", call for the target and then focus your move by following the target with your forward knee (left knee for right handed shooters)...this helps you pivot at the waist. This is what skeet shooters recommend for handling crossing targets. Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hip rotation in trap shooting