1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Arm shooting targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by windyflat, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windyflat

windyflat Member

Lately It seems I've been arm shooting or should I say missing 1/4 lefts and rights without moving at the waist... Would crouching a little in my preshot routine help prevent this?
    Thanks

Tom

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Practice using your lower body to move the gun. When you are on the line practicing, dry fire a few birds while the other guys are shooting. HMB

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tom, you can do a ton of practice at home to overcome this too. Just remember, from the shoulders up, nothing moves independently except your eyes? You learn to become one with all your gun movements. Fear that the bird is getting away or just shooting out of control causes the arm swinging thingie, quittit!

Hap

4. windyflat

windyflat Member

Thanks Guys!

5. Harold T. Pack

Harold T. Pack Member

What will tend to make you swivel at the hips is to pull back slightly with your left hand. This helps to lock in the upper torso. Also, keep your right elbow level with the ground.

Keep Your Head Down and Follow Through,

Harolds T. Pack

6. windyflat

windyflat Member

Harold.. I'm a lefty so I'll try your advice but with the opposite hand/arm
    Thanks!

Tom

7. butcher

butcher Member

Hap is right about the fear of the target getting away.I recently took a clinic and the instructors told me that they were going to cut my left arm off for using it to swing the gun.I just got back from a shoot yesterday shooting doubles, singles and handicap and I was smooth on all of the targets without using my left arm.What did it for me was before every shot I told myself "Eyes first" Seeing the target when it first becomes a whole target then moving the gun to it and shooting it. It really worked good for me.

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Easier said than done Hap. My biggest fault, and after so many years of a bad habit it's tough to teach an old dog new tricks. Oh well, keep trying and enjoy it.

9. windyflat

windyflat Member

Had the same trouble yesterday with 1/4 lefts & rights so I will need to work on it at home with Terrys wall chart. Just switched to two eyes a couple weeks back and my scores have been 20,21,22. I think some of my trouble is not looking directly at the bird. I am guilty of developing quite a few bad habits in my first year of shooting.
    Shooting one eye I shot the streak but once I made the switch to two eyes I've really had to slow it down to smoke them.
    I'll get there...
    Thanks for the help guys!
    Tom

10. Hap MecTweaks

Bob H., a puppy must learn "how" to learn at an early age to prevent the old adage, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" syndrome. People too must learn "how" to learn new techniques if they truly want to improve instead of using age old excuses? I don't buy into that old adage at all with reasonable people learning new things in any endeavor! Life is a continual learning process for both you and your dog!

There's so many things in life that are easier said than done and learning to use a shotgun properly is but one of those. Each shotgunning game has a few "basics" that have proved instrumental to consistency in scoring too. Our game of trap is a simple game made hard by less than ample student time applying those basics to the game? Just look at all the different forms shotgunners take while partaking this joy called competition ATA trap. The shotgun is such a forgiving tool it sometimes allows one to violate all the standard proven methods and break decent scores, once in a while!! One day you can't seem to miss, the next, the broad side of the barn is safe?

Making the same mistakes over and over isn't called improvement for good reason? The best shots in the game can see mistakes being made on the line from the parking lot by the old dogs who refuse to learn new tricks. For a fee, they will point them out though? One also must learn to separate the wheat from the chaff when sitting around the fire barrel or on a shooting site such as TS dopes com? JMHT's on shotgunning.

Hap

11. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

You said the "Magic" words...At home with "Terry's Wall Chart"

Keep practicing with it !!!

Dave in SC

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Keeping your right elbow up helps you avoid "arm shooting".

John C. Saubak

13. Bob Hawkes

Tom / Windyflats, I too am working on the two eyed shooting and it seem's that the quarter angle is the easy one to arm shoot without noticing. Cowboy John is correct about the elbow Tom.

Hap, I made my earlier comment mostly in jest, but appreciate your thoughts. I most certainly agree with them. On the other hand after loosing my Brit at almost 16 years of age a few months ago, I am now blessed with an English Setter of 2 1/2 years of age. Talk about the old dog, Me, and the young quick one, Annie, it shall make for a fun Fall. :) Really looking forward to it, nothing like chasing the woodcock and grouse in October in the North country.
    Shoot well in good health, Bob

14. Hap MecTweaks

Good for you Bob!! I've hunted behind several good English Setters chasing grouse and quail around the hills. I began hunting birds with a full choked gun when I was young, didn't know any better I guess? Needless to say, I missed many more than harvested too! Taking a shot at a ruffed grouse hardly leaves any time to close one eye? Good eye practice too as fast and noisy as they are taking off! Have fun chasin the woods rockets next fall and enjoy your new buddy!

Hap

15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Lord how I love a English Setter................I have hunted quail down South many,many times,and was always amazed at the grace,and beauty those dogs would show while zigging,and zagging their way through the fields,and brambles.They are truly a joy to hunt over!
    Smoke 'em all

D.P.Reynolds(a Lab owner......Ha.......always wanted an English though)

16. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Oh,by the way..........I arm shoot 'em all the time............Can't shoot worth a shit!............Maybe this has something to do with my poor performances lately.................Later

D.P.Reynolds

17. windyflat

windyflat Member

The one thing that I've found has helped since I posted this is....
    Once I mount the gun and as i'm calling for the bird I make a slight forward body movement that seems to help me make a smooth move to the target especially the qtr lefts that have been driving me crazy! I kept ended up right beside them!
    Any of you guys use this sort of forward movement?
    I know Harlan and Daro both mention it in their videos...

Tom

18. Bob Hawkes

Have to agree with you again Tom. A correct body turn and you're dead on it, arm it and you're just behind it. As long as we keep enjoying the journey. :)

19. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Old Cowboy, Tom, & Bob...your advice is well-taken. What has helped me is slightly keeping about a 60/40 weight forward on my left leg (I'm right-handed), slightly bending my left knee, and following the target with my left knee...this necessarily causes you to pivot at the waist and not arm shoot. Keeping the elbow up and locked is part of it too. Best Regards, Ed

20. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

I have been working on losing weight and one of the excercises I do is to help with NOT armshooting. I am a right hand shooter. I take a medicine ball and hold it outstretched in my left hand, hand under the ball like I was holding the shotgun forend. I reach out with my right hand on the back of the ball to stabilize it. I then stand as I would in each station and concentrate on making 90 degree movements to the left and right keeping my head stable and only using my ab flexors. I concentrate on my right shoulder rotating left and visa vera as I make the move. I am working myself up to 50 rotations both ways (10 per station). It is certainly making me more flexible. I also believe the arm shooting is due as much to fatique as anything and this will help prevent it. I am currently using a 12 lb ball and at 6 rotations per station....will move up to 14 pounds and back to 4 rotations once I get to 10 on the lighter ball. It sure makes a shotgun feel lighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.