1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Arm shooting, Need help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rio, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rio

Rio TS Member

How can a shooter stop arm shooting the targets while shooting a round. Not ever target maybe 2 or 3 per 25. Sometimes the bird will be hit and sometimes the bird will be lost. Are there any drills too stop this habit.It seems that it happens more from the 27 yd. line then the 16yd. line.
    Thanks
    Rio

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Make sure your feet are positioned to accomodate the hard angle target from whatever Post you are shooting and have a slight break at the knee of your left leg (right handed shooter) as this will help upper body to move as a unit.

3. Lyle

Lyle Member

Agree with Mike and you could make sure that your trigger hand has a real positive grip on the stock while your "guide" hand is gripped somewhat loosely on the forearm.
    Good luck.

Lyle

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

It can be a problem that simply requires practice and some experimenting at home. A firm mount and grip is important for me. Try the common advice of feet apart about shoulder width with the leading knee slightly cocked. Weight on the forward foot. Then swing your gun and note the range of comfortable swing.

Next, try what I need to do. Stand erect, head up eyes forward. Feet less than shoulder width apart. Forward knee so slightly cocked forward that it is not apparent. Then try swinging and note your range of swing.

Keep trying different stances and figure out what works for you. Be sure to try keeping your heels in a normal position and rotate the toes of your right foot about one inch to the right. This small foot rotation will surprise you when you swing to the right.

Pat Ireland

5. Lyle

Lyle Member

Pat,
    Neat advice on the foot rotation. I don't teach that until my advanced course.

Lyle

6. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

I just wish someone had some good advice on that for a fellow who must shoot from a stool.

7. gotbass

gotbass Member

flaketm - I'm thinking stool lube. I am truely sorry, I just could not resist. I hear that stool lube is the choice of skeet shooters world wide. My full time shooting buddy shoots from a chair, wheelchair, and I pay him a dollar on our side bet a a regular basis. I am convinced it has a lot to do with your original set up. Smoke em all.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Keeping my right elbow up close to horizontal seems to help me avoid "arm shooting". I think losing 50 pounds around the waist would be helpful too but keeping my elbow up is easier.

John C. Saubak

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

flaketm- After reading your post, I sat on the stool I use for reloading, mounted my gun and tried to swing left and right. The only way I could do it was to arm swing and that moved my gun away from my face. I hope you can figure out how to do this and teach the rest of us who do not shoot from a stool how it should be done. I will visit with some excellent chair shooters at the SC State in a couple of weeks. Perhaps they can give some good advice.

For now, all I can suggest is to shoot often and have fun.

Pat Ireland

10. Mac V

Mac V Guest

When I injured my hip and chose to shoot from a stool, I bought a wood bar stool and added a swiveling seat on top of the original seat by using a ball bearing boat seat swivel, 3/4" plywood, cotton padding and canvas for upholstery. Then I shortened the legs about a half-inch at a time until I was satisfied.

Mike

11. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

If you don't already, try razing your elbows up so your arms are parallel with the ground.

And before you step to the line mount your gun a couple times this way and make a few exaggerated moves left and right from the waist, moving only your torso and not your arms. Your mount, head, arms, neck, shoulders, should all stay locked in the same position while your torso pivots at the waist. This may work best if you employ a high gun hold position as more movement is necessary with a low hold.

And then just make sure your set-up on each post is not too closed, and such that no target angle you'll face will be uncomfortable. cls

12. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

miketmx and Pat Ireland have the right suggestion: if you are right-handed, put some of your weight (not much) on your left leg with your left knee bent slightly. Then, follow the target flight with your left knee - this minimizes the "arm shooting" tendency and causes you to pivot at the hip. This is a technique which some coaches teach...and is used by skeet shooting coaches to stop/control the "arm shooting" problem. Ed

13. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Shoot a round sitting on a chair, not a stool. It helped me. Gary

14. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Thanks for replies re my stool shooting. Pat, I'm looking forward to hearing what your handicapped friends say. ShooterIII -- you talk of the positioning of the stool. I take it you mean the position you take on the stool. I sit at an angle on the stool so that my feet are in the same position they'd be in if I was standing. Is that what you mean? Oh, I've tried a chair and a shorter stool. No help there.
    Guy Coates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.