1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Arizona to spend $1.2 million on.........

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Brian in Oregon, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    .....squirrel bridges.

Has the whole world gone mad?

Don’t shoot the squirrels

By Jon Johnson<br>
    Assistant Editor<br>
    Published on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:04 AM MST<br>

Some locals' response to the proposed construction of squirrel bridges on Mount Graham encourages the public to take out their rifles and go hunting. Any such action against the endangered Mount Graham red squirrel could land those involved in serious trouble.

The Mount Graham red squirrel is a unique subspecies of red squirrel and is one of the most endangered mammals in North America.

According to the Endangered Species Act that was signed into law by former President Richard Nixon on Dec. 28, 1973, penalties for knowingly killing an endangered species can be a maximum criminal fine of $50,000 and up to a year in jail and a civil fine up to $25,000 per violation.

An Arizona Department of Transportation project to install 41 canopy tunnel bridges on Mount Graham to aid the sustainability of the endangered Mount Graham red squirrel will be entirely funded by stimulus money from the federal government.

According to Bill Harmon, ADOT's Safford District engineer, preliminary numbers suggest the project will cost about $1.2 million. That includes the cost of the bridges and their installation at various locations across State Route 366 (Swift Trail) and Forest Service Road 803, as well as the cost of wildlife-monitoring equipment and radio tracking collars that would be placed on squirrels by scientists from the University of Arizona.

The U of A already has placed collars on some of the squirrels. This would be an extension of that program, and the university would monitor the data from the collars.

Harmon told the Courier the money has been allocated by the federal government for the program and would be spent on a similar program elsewhere if it was not done here. He believes the project will be an enhancement to the area for various reasons, including providing jobs for the construction and maintenance of the bridges and equipment, bringing more scientists to the area who will require local services and increasing eco-tourism in the area.

Harmon said improving the habitat connectivity for sensitive species would likely enhance the chances of improving road conditions for those who choose to recreate, live or work on the mountain.

A letter from ADOT regarding its squirrel bridge plans was sent to Graham County Chamber of Commerce Chairman Steve Junion, who was asked for comments or concerns.

Junion said the chamber is here to bring business to Graham County and support businesses and people who live here. He said the chamber doesn't have an opinion on the project because that's not what it does.

"We deal with the business end of it, and this is all political. . ." Junion said. "The chamber doesn't take sides in politics.

“We're there more for the businesses and the people of Graham County."

State Route 366 goes straight through the squirrels' habitat, and through the creation of ways for the squirrels to co-exist with the people who travel through the habitat, the process to receive approval for road improvements could be easier to obtain, according to Harmon.

The Federal Highways Office has a survey crew working on Mount Graham to improve the roadway in the Wet Canyon and Noon Creek areas. Harmon said that project is likely about two years from completion. ADOT is also looking into paving the dirt section of State Route 366 between Shannon and Columbine, but that will be in the future, Harmon said.

ADOT is also considering a project to install an informational kiosk at the Columbine Ranger Station and signs at various stages of the mountain.

The signs and kiosk would contain a variety of information about the area and animals, including historical information, facts on the physical features of different plants and animals found at the various elevations of the mountain and the people who have lived, worked and recreated on it. The project would use a separate allocation of funds.
  2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Green Bay Wisconsin
    Aaaahh....Hey fellas, wouldn't it be cheaper to move the road?

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Coral Springs, Florida
    Smells like pork barrel to me.

4. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

Aug 27, 2009
    oswego, new york
  5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I'm not sure how many squirrels we got but they can ship them back the Illegals also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Endangered species?

A man is in Court before the Judge.

The Judge says "Mr Brown ... it says here that you killed and were eating an Eagle! An Eagle ... the symbol of our Country and an Endangered Species! How could you do such a thing?"

"Well your Honor, maybe I can explain. I went out for a hike in the mountains and got lost. I was out there for a week ... and was starving, when I spotted a small rabbit. I killed it with a stick and was about to pick it up ... when an Eagle swooped down and tried to grab it."

"We fought for it and somehow the Eagle got killed. I skinned the rabbit and cooked and ate it ... but was still starving since it was so small! Then I looked at the Eagle and thought to myself ... it is already dead and perfectly good meat."

I plucked it and cooked it ... and as I was taking the 1st bite ... a Game Warden appeared and arrested me!"

The Judge thinks a minute and says "Mr Brown ... as repulsive as the thought of eating an Eagle is to me ... I am going to dismiss this case since you did not purpously kill it!"

"Thank you your Honor!"

"Mr Brown ... befoer you leave, please approch the Bench." The Judge leans over and whispers "Tell me, what does an Eagle taste like?"

"Well your Honor, I would say that it is pretty much like Spotted Owl!"
  7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Would that be dark meat or white ??
  8. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2008
    I just read this on Drudge, not surprised in todays environment.

Just think like polititions: They have the easiset job in the world.

All they have to do is spend other peoples money, no worry of ROI or budgets! Get paid for it and have a never ending retirement after serving just one term, sweet.

Speaking of stupid stuff, in Florida several years ago they built tunnels under interstae 75 going across the everglades so the Fla. Panthers could freely cross without being hit, problem was the panthers could not read and crossed where they wished and still got hit anyway, even until this day, but, the Feel Good bunch got to feel good on our tax dollars.

About the only thing the tunnels did was to keep high water even throughout the area.
  9. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Aug 17, 2008
    How much will the government spend to teach a bunch of squirrels that the safest way the cross the road is through tunnels?? Will they be encroaching upon the squirrels civil rights? (PETA) Fences along the road that funnel the squirrels to the tunnels? It's alright because it is money from the Fed Govt. BS. All the money the Fed. Govt. spends belongs to you and me. If they are incumbents, make them unemployed. I don't give a damn what their party affiliation is. We have several here in Indiana, and I am doing my best to see that they don't get reelected. Roach
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.