1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Arizona has great sporting clays clubs, but...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ysr_racer, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Arizona has some great sporting clays clubs, but unfortunately I only got to shoot two of them this trip, Ben Avery and Rio Salado.

As a Jewish kid growing up on the "res" I have fond memories of AZ. In fact my wife and I go back every year for spring training baseball, Indian Gaming, and of course sporting clays.

When I lived there, Ben Avery was so far out in the middle of nowhere that my friends and I would just find a dry wash, and set up some targets. Rio Salado Sportsman's was something we passed on the way to go tubing on the Salt (plus back then I don't think Sporting Clays had been invented yet).

But now both clubs are easily accessible from the Phoenix area via I-17 (Ben Avery) and the 202 (Rio Salado).

If you've never shot a desert club, it's completely different than the heavily wooded clubs of back east.

I had so much fun at Rio Salado that I'm coming back next weekend to shoot in their monthly NSCA event. If it's cold and nasty where you live, think about joining me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I went to one called River Bend? near Benson and Tombstone years ago in the early 90`s. Probably long gone and it was very primative , not like the one you have pictured . Got too expensive for me to shoot both .

3. Wyogoose

Wyogoose TS Member

Beeeeutiful. Thanks for the glimpse of warmth. We haven't really had it too bad here in S.W. Wyoming, but certainly not that nice.

Watch your top knot.

4. coaching

coaching TS Member

Glad you had a good time shooting at Ben Avery. We have a shoot this Sunday if your in town. Come one come all.

Dan

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Hi Dan,

We're leaving town on Saturday, so I can't make it on Sunday, but will I see next week at Rio?

P.S. the "B" bird on station 3 was a killer.

6. bas

bas Member

Thanks for the nice photos and kind remarks about our sporting clays courses at Rio Salado and Ben Avery...but mostly...glad you had a great time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.