1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Arizona going to pull plug on L.A. Vote on it.

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Arizona supplies approx. 25% of L.A.'s electric and water. They threatened to pull the plug in retalliation to L.A.'s boycott. Man, could this get ugly. Your President has to step in soon if he has any Chutzpah. Bulge.

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Do you agree with Arizona? Take a poll question. BUlge.

3. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Arizona going to pull plug on L.A.

If Arizona pulls the plug on LA the looting will begin immediately. Lets see how the all balls LA Mayor Villaraigosa handles that little problem. One thing's for sure unless you have a backup plan don't threaten the Arizona Coroporation Commission with a statewide boycott homedog.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Go Zona!

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Just a stupid libby move,,,,speak without considering the consequences,,,,LA may want to rethink their stance....

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I think the Arizona Corporate Commission suggested renegotiating the rates as another alternative, either way someobdy is going to pay ...

This is a fine way for American people to treat other American people over a bunch of Illegal Aliens who's only purpose is to suck the social services dry ... Way to go America ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well whether you think it is the right thing to do or not looking at the score on the poll.

Of the people that are voting in the poll 93% seem to feel that Arizona has every right to do so and should. The percentage that say they shouldn't is 4%......LOL pretty even wouldn't you say????

Go Zona!

Bob Lawless

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Do you all see the sweet irony when L.A. has blackouts and the Mexicans living there go on a looting spree.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Obama administration’s official position agrees with AZ immigration-enforcement lawShare326posted at 12:15 pm on May 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

While the Obama administration continues its apology tour in China and uses the Arizona immigration-enforcement law as fodder for some bowing and scraping, the Department of Justice may need to scrape some egg off of its face.

Attorney General Eric Holder admitted that he hadn’t actually read the bill before criticizing it, but it turns out that he needs to catch up on reading at the DoJ, too. The Washington Post reports that the Obama administration has yet to withdraw a Bush-era memo that acknowledges the authority of states to do exactly what the Arizona law mandates:

In the legal battle over Arizona’s new immigration law, an ironic subtext has emerged: whether a Bush-era legal opinion complicates a potential Obama administration lawsuit against Arizona.

The document, written in 2002 by the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel, concluded that state police officers have “inherent power” to arrest undocumented immigrants for violating federal law. …

The author of the Arizona law — which has drawn strong opposition from top Obama administration officials — has cited the authority granted in the 2002 memo as a basis for the legislation. The Obama administration has not withdrawn the memo, and some backers of the Arizona law said Monday that because it remains in place, a Justice Department lawsuit against Arizona would be awkward at best.

“The Justice Department’s official position as of now is that local law enforcement has the inherent authority to enforce federal immigration law,” said Robert Driscoll, a former Justice Department Civil Rights Division official in the George W. Bush administration who represents an Arizona sheriff known for aggressive immigration enforcement. “How can you blame someone for exercising authority that the department says they have?”

Barack Obama has been in office for sixteen months. Eric Holder has been AG for almost as long, being one of the first Cabinet members confirmed by the Senate after Obama assumed office. During the transition, both men promised to “hit the ground running,” which should have meant a review of policy positions across the board. Immigration reform was a key agenda item for Obama and the Democrats — and yet no one at the DoJ or the White House apparently thought to withdraw this memo. That speaks volumes about competence.

One reason the memo remains in place is because it’s just common sense. The federal government works with state and local authorities to enforce federal law in other areas, especially on drugs, for example. The same applies to immigration violations when police already have detained a person for probable cause on another potential crime, as the law (now) stipulates. Unless we’re prepared to fund a massive federal police agency with officers in every town in America, the federal government needs to have state and local authorities helping to enforce federal laws — even the laws that the Obama administration doesn’t want to enforce. Especially those laws.

What else has escaped the reading list of the Obama administration? For a collection of self-described geniuses, they seem particularly incurious readers regarding laws and policy papers.

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Just read on FOX news the L.A. Mayor is going to call their bluff. Getting very interesting. Bulge.

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I just don't think that the Dems can read.....literally.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Arizona's agreement with LA does not have the ability for the power to be shut off. The Commisioner just stated that it would be in good faith for LA to sell the AZ power elswhere, in keeping with their boycott (!).

Not doing so makes LA folks fools and hypocrites.

HM

12. bigdogtx

The commissioner was just on Greta and basically called the mayor out,,,,good to see. Here is a letter he wrote to the mayor:

"Dear Mayor Villaraigosa,

I was dismayed to learn that the Los Angeles City Council voted to boycott Arizona and Arizona-based companies — a vote you strongly supported — to show opposition to SB 1070 (Support our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act).

You explained your support of the boycott as follows: “While we recognize that as neighbors, we share resources and ties with the State of Arizona that may be difficult to sever, our goal is not to hurt the local economy of Los Angeles, but to impact the economy of Arizona. Our intent is to use our dollars — or the withholding of our dollars — to send a message.” (emphasis added)

I received your message; please receive mine. As a state-wide elected member of the Arizona Corporation Commission overseeing Arizona’s electric and water utilities, I too am keenly aware of the “resources and ties” we share with the City of Los Angeles. In fact, approximately twenty-five percent of the electricity consumed in Los Angeles is generated by power plants in Arizona.

If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation. I am confident that Arizona’s utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands. If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona’s economy.

People of goodwill can disagree over the merits of SB 1070. A state-wide economic boycott of Arizona is not a message sent in goodwill.

Sincerely,

Commissioner Gary Pierce"

13. bigdogtx

I guess I didn't put it in too plain of English and your point is well taken,,,,It would have been nice to maybe ask for clarification before going on a personal insulting tirade??? I don't think that I have EVER taken a lib stance on anything....

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WgOHOHKBEqE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WgOHOHKBEqE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

ss

15. bigdogtx

LTS, I, as well. Have a good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.