1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Arizona cashing in on photo radar......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I wonder if people in Arizona are going to revolt like they are in Britain? Click the link to see how much the Brits like photo radar...<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    Napolitano counting on speed camera revenue<br>
    <br>
    Matthew Benson<br>
    The Arizona Republic<br>
    Jan. 18, 2008 08:33 PM<br>
    <br>
    Attention lead-footed drivers: Don't slow down now.<br>
    <br>
    The state is counting on you.<br>
    <br>
    Gov. Janet Napolitano is banking on an estimated $90 million in ticket revenue that she expects the state to receive next year from its deployment of speed camera equipment on highways statewide. With the stable of 100 cameras, which state officials hope to begin installing July 1, it's expected that motorists will rack up $124 million in fines in the first year alone. About $34 million of that would go to overhead and the system's private administrator.

In fiscal 2010, with system's first full year, state officials anticipate the issuance of 13,250 citations and net state revenue of $120 million. The estimates are based on calculations made by the vendor, Redflex, and the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

Napolitano and DPS officials have long maintained that the program is aimed at improving traffic safety, not making money. State Rep. John Kavanaugh, R-Fountain Hills, doesn't doubt the governor's intent. But he said he's "disturbed that the introduction of photo-radar on state roads is so closely joined to revenue generation," and called the program's timing with the budget deficit "bad public relations."

But Rep. Steve Farley sees photo-radar as one way the state can act like a business by addressing a need and turning a profit at the same time.

"It seems like a smart idea to me," said the Tucson Democrat. "Why not be able to improve safety and at the same time take money from people breaking the law. We do that with parking tickets all the time."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0118budget0118radar-ONL.html

2. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I applaud the people in Great Britain.

3. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Here in Va they are trying to get them pasted. I to have a problem with them like Minn can Va prove who is driving the car. The cops go into court and have to show proof that the person in question in the person who did what ever crime. With these cameras all they think they can have are your plates but show no proof that you were the driver. To me thats saying you are guilty before being proven innocent. The cost of the distroyed cameras will make things hard to make any profit. I just hope the same things happen to the cameras here in the USA.

4. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

" If you loan your car out, you are responsibe for what the driver does."

So if he uses it as a getaway car from his bank robbery, you should get to do time with him.

darn sporting of you.

5. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

it's just big brother taking care us little people who aren' smart enough to take care of ourself.jackmitch

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Gives one pause to wonder....are the people whinning about it doing so because they're the ones that will be paying?

Buz

7. Brian in Oregon

wjf100st, quote: "Sorry fellas, but I didn't like the cameras on red lights at first. I am now a better driver. I stop at the yellow and not push to get trough before red. I was going 70 yesterday an the freeway when a Porche passed me going at least 150. Scared the H.... out of me. I said, where is a cop when you need them. Well the camera would get these people and the wreckless drivers we are always complaining about. As far as who is driving the vehicle. If you loan your car out, you are responsibe for what the driver does. Makes us all a little more responsible doesn't it."

Are you aware that the number of rear end collisions go up when red light cameras are installed? More people stop abruptly to prevent getting a ticket, and those behind rear end them. Yet this collateral damage never gets mentioned by advocates of these devices. There are a couple of notorious red light camera intersections here that constantly have broken plastic, glass and metal one and two car lengths back from the stop line.

The whole premise of solely using a photograph in court to render a judgment is, to me, un-American. It's your word against a still photo that's being "interpreted" by a third party. How does he know that you were slowly crawling into the intersection and got stuck because of the slow cars ahead of you? It's not a video that would show that. The photo makes it appear worse because it gives the impression you were tailgating, when in fact at slow speed it's a perfectly safe distance. Worse, in order to pay for the systems, almost all intersections with these cameras change from a 4-second yellow to 3-second yellow for more "revenue enhancement". Traffic safety engineers deemed a 4-second yellow as being the best length for traffic safety, but greed now makes safety a secondary consideration.

Frankly, I hope these Big Brother cameras get destroyed. It would make my day.

8. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

This is almost as good a money raiser as the lottery.

9. tlea

tlea TS Member

Talking to a guy while visiting England: The English put up signs saying the speed cameras are there. They may not be on, but the boxes they are in are mounted up on the poles. Wonderful traffic speed controllers. Seems like an enterprising Englishman made identical boxes and sold them to residents where they felt speeding was a problem. The boxes were actually birdhouses that looked exactly like the speed cameras.

10. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I have seen a couple of red light photos out of Philadelphia. There was no mistaking what happened, and the owners of the tickets knew they were wrong. It is my opinion that people who run red lights are just a bad as folks who drive drunk. If you get t-boned at an intersection, there is a good chance you will be killed regardless of the type of vehicle you are driving.

You may not like the cameras, but you really know you are supposed to stop. Problem is that you don't. Clearly you don't care if you kill another person. Clearly you don't understand that driving is not a right. I hope you all lose your driving privileges. But since that is not going to happen, perhaps a few fines will change your irresponsible behavior.

11. Brian in Oregon

Gary, somehow you've come to the erroneous conclusion that those of us who disagree with big brother cameras somehow must be bad drivers.

12. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Got to give the Brits credit. Nothing like a little civil disobedience to remedy a rogue government.

jim brown

13. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

We have a few stop light cameras here where I am. They send you a picture of your car doing the deed as they say. You can go on line and watch the actual movie. You can pay the fine or inform the cops who was behind the wheel if it was not you. But no court or points just send the $100.00 and all is forgiven.
    That does not mean it doesn't suck just better than actually getting the same offense in front of the police.

They do have one small problem however. They keep getting the lenses spray painted. They are about 8 ft off of the ground so that is not an easy task to do.

Rock

Jim

14. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Brian - Never said anyone was a bad driver - I said that people who blow red lights are irresponsible and that I hope they lose their driving priviliges or at least pick up a bunch of fines from a camera.

I am going to die one day but I sure hope it is not because some scofflaw decided to run a red light. Please enlighten us on how you good drivers have figured out a "safe way" to drive through a red light. I have heard a lot of bs on the subject and there are many people just like you who do not obey traffic laws and when getting a ticket protest that the only reason they blew the light was because it did not stay yellow long enough!!

15. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Arizona must plan for some hefty fines. The anticipated revenue of $120 million divided by the 13,250 citations is over $9,000 per citation.

16. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I wonder what they will do with all the photos of law enforcement cars marked and unmarked running 85+ mph without lights or siren. They shouldn't be exempt.

17. Brian in Oregon

Are you closed minded to the fact that there are people who are getting tickets who do not deserve them? During heavy rush hour, soome vehicles get caught in the intersection, and cannot clear in the three seconds (formerly four) between green and red. Here they don't use movies, just a still photo showing the vehicle in the intersection with no clue as to what exactly it was doing. Here you can plead your case before a "judge", who is generally a law professor hired pro tem or however it's spelled. He "interprets" the photo.

What's really ironic is that the slow poke vehicles really get nail. If the light changes on a vehicle like a hot rod or sports car, they just mash the go pedal and burn across the intersection just in time, slamming on the brakes sometimes when they catch up to the traffic ahead. Vehicles that are slow to start really get nailed by the 3 second yellows. Dpo you think changing the 4 second yellow to a 3 second yellow makes these intersections safer?

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about sobriety checkpoints? For them in the name of safety? Or do you think they violate your rights by eliminating probable cause?

18. nipper

nipper TS Member

I agree with cameras 100% they should be able to use them, i got a speeding ticket in germany back in 1987,was mailed to my home,then went to post office to pay it. Ticket should be given to registered owner of the vehicle no matter who the driver is.

Bill

19. ButchB

ButchB TS Member

Why bother..........

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The speed checkers in Arizona are set to take a photo of anyone exceeding the limit by 6 MPH or more and they are cutting down on accidents in big numbers ... The speed limit on the freeway going in town is 65 MPH, and on the open highway 75 MPH so that means 71 and 81 MPH respectively and if that ain't fast enough stay the hell home ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.