1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ariens snow blower not running

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Picked up an Ariens ST420 on the curb. Nice machine worth about $500 new. 4 horse Tekumseh, electric starter, 4 speeds with reverse. Previous owner said it was given to them, it didn't work, so they tossed it.

It has spark and lots of it.

Smells like old gasoline if you know what I mean. I emptied the tank and put new in.

Oil was overfull. Replaced with the right amount of new, which is just a half a quart.

Tried spraying WD40 into the spark plug hole, no fire. Tried spraying into the carb, no fire.

Took the carb off and noticed black oil marks on the bottom third of the throttle shuttle and along the bottom of the manifold leading from the carb into the engine. I think the overfull engine oil ran down into the carb. They might do their customers a favor by printing the oil capacity on the dip stick.

Next I'm taking the carb completely apart. Lots of green smelly dust inside. Spraying with carb cleaner (thanks Tron), bulb was full of gas. Gas path from bulb to inside of carb is clear. I need a straw for air needle value area to see if it's clear.

Dealer is right down the street for a carb rebuild kit.

Am I missing anything so far?

Thanks, Joe

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Carb cleaning video at the above site. I got 3 or 4 Tecumsehs running this year just with carb issues, and never used any parts. Just make sure the needle and seat are good, and the float works.

You need some starting fluid. It should run for a couple seconds after shooting some down the intake.

Squirting WD-40 in the chamber does not sound good to me. Again, use ether.

Watch the video.

HM

3. joe kuhn

Thanks HM. I knew you'd be out there...

Did find a discussion about how to set the carb: 1 to 1.5 turns out on both values, then when running, turn gas needle both ways to find limits and set at median, then air needle...

Gotta get it running first. Ether, ok.

4. locdoc

locdoc Member

HM,

That hot link may be too long. Couldn't get there.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

make sure to use carb cleaner. wash out the fuel tank with some type of a cleaner to get all the varnish out. Gummout in the tank will clean it and shake it around. clean the fuel line or replace it. Do you have spark???? remove the spark plug and rest it on the head and pull the starter cord. does it spark????? replace the plug or place it on a metal plate anduse a propane torch to clean the plug. heat it until the center electrode turns white or burn off the black. you can not really hurt the plug. do not use a wire brush. the torch is the only way to clean it. make sure you have spark. the carb needs to be CLEAN. check the float. shake it does it have anything inside. Sometimes the leak fuel inside and then get heavy and sink and not float to shut off the fuel. the replacement might be plastic or the metal one. motordoc

6. halfmile

I just grab the spark plug wire and pull the rope, that way I know for sure, LOL.

Lots of videos on the Tecumseh carb out there. Goggle is your friend.

Watch for a little sidweways hole in the brass fitting that holds the float bowl on. Some have it some don't. They plug up and no gas gets to the main jet.

HM

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Usually when I'm in a "motorhead frenzy", I take a squirt oil can and put gas (or gas/oil mix) in it to shoot down the carburetor. Many times, if you can get it to light off a couple times, it will "fix itself" and save a rebuild. Sounds like yours is a little past that point, but at least you can pinpoint the problem this way. If the gas tank was actually full of varnish, plan on soaking the carb a while. Good luck, Joe.

8. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

WD-40 will start engines when sprayed in carb.. One of our volunteer fireman also owns a hardware store and small engine repair shop. Have seen him start balky chain saws with it. Does not wash piston/cylinder wall lube off like ether does. Guy next to me in the marina had condensation in his inboards distributor cap and I told him to spray it with WD-40 to displace water. A few moments later he hit the start switch and his distributor cap blew about 5 feet straight up.Neglected to tell him to wipe it dry before starting the engine. It is combustible folks.

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Joe buy a carb rebuild kit for it and a new spark plug. Rebuild the carb, no big deal and it should fire up no problem.

10. joe kuhn

Videos were great. Learned alot. Will get the rebuild kit. Didn't even know about taking the semi-permanant covers off, cleaning holes and replacing covers with new. The main brass fitting that holds the float bowl on was indeed plugged - both holes. Got cleaner in my eye too. Even if the videos are not for the model I have, there's plenty to learn. Especially liked the 'how to tune' video. To the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks guys. Joe

11. halfmile

Most of the Tecumseh carb info is a one size fits all deal. The thing that will drive you nuts is the throttle linkage. Any time you take one apart take a picture first.

They have one ion a lawnmower with no user throttle that I forgot how to do so I put a carb with a cable on instead, LOL.

The plugged hole fix would have made your enginge run.

HM

12. joe kuhn

HM - I put the old parts back together and it popped right off. The plugged up holes in the main jet brass fitting were the problem. I didn't even notice those holes before you mentioned them. This de-mystifies the small engine carberator for me. Growing up, we never took one apart. We always sent them into the shop to be fixed.

I see what you mean about the linkage. There's two holes on each end so I guessed. Hole closest to the engine on the carb and the furthest hole on the throttle arm. Seems to work.

I can put better gas in all my small engines.

Later, and thanks again for the help.

Joe

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Well done Joe.

Dumpster diving pays dividends!!!

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Joe, Always wear safety lenses when working on equipment!

15. joe kuhn

Yes, I will.

Had to take a second look at the choke settings to realize I was going the wrong way with the choke. What I thought was a tuning problem with the carb was just a problem in my head. Hah!

Have used it several times on the drive way and once on the pond behind my house so the neighborhood boys can play hockey. Ice is at least 6 inches thick. It was worth my time 'cause now I don't have to drive the boys, and my son, cross-town to the rink. They come over and I start the hot dog grill. They are ALWAYS hungry.

This thing really throws the snow!

I should clear the driveway where I picked the snow thrower off the curb. They must be out of town.

Scavaging hardware on garbage day is more of a domestic recycling effort than dumpster diving. At least that's how I look at it.

Thanks guys.

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Seafoam is won derful stuff. I always try it before rebuilding a carb

17. joe kuhn

Thanks for the tip.

18. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I had one years ago and finally had trouble with it. The diaphram went bad. Got that fixed and all was well. Dan

19. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hi,

I had one in MSP for 12 years, popped off every time it snowed. I left the blower with the new new home owner.

The lawn mower went with me to OK and it is still running today.

Good products but cost a bunch.

Jim

20. joe kuhn

Neighbor has the same model Ariens with the same carb problem. Couldn't believe it. I replaced the brass fitting around the main needle and it started right up. Had been not running for 6 years. His works even better than mine. Now I know what the carb/gov connection should look like. Will check mine in basement as I thaw out the starter that is frozen and not engaging the main gear. Starts by hand fine.

A guy at work has 2 snow blowers that aren't running. I'm in the business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1998 ariens st420
ariens snow blowerstopedrunning
ariens snowblower throttle linkage

ariens st420

ariens st420 snowblower adjust carburater

i sprayed wd40 in spark hole how long should i leave plug out single stage snow blower

is there a screen in the gas tank on a aierens st420 snow plower