1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you thinking of reloading?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

At a nearby club there is a group (10-12) of shooters shooting USPSA. In the past 6 months they have had two gun blow-ups, injuries resulting. Both blow ups were attributed to careless reloading.

Their only concern is how fast and cheap they can reload. Most of them admit to not liking the reloading process and begrudge the time spent doing it. One of them brags that he can reload 100 rounds in 3 minutes.

My point in posting this is to caution people thinking about reloading that if you don't enjoy the reloading experience as part of the shooting hobby, you may be heading for trouble if you only want to reduce the cost.

Just my 2 cents...YMMV.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Just when you congratulate yourself on making something foolproof ... along comes a bigger fool!

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

Tell them what? I don't shoot with them, just know people in the group.

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Reloading takes concentration, intuition, and concern. It seems, or would seem that they are using progressive machines, running balls to the wall, and are undoubtedly short stroking the handles if they get blowups..short strokes will sometimes drop no, or a partial load of powder, seat a primer not deeply enough, or crimp a bullet not deep enough. Partial or no powder charge can lodge a bullet in the barrel with the next one blowing up the gun. Primer not seated to depth can (rare) but can result in weak strike and lower pressure...not likely but still possible.

The only problem I ever had with reloads was with 9mm P years ago when I bought some bulk fired brass and mixed in were some shells with an annular ring in the case head. (looking down the neck you could see a ring around the primer, not unlike old balloon head cases). I had one blow out next to the extractor groove (where, in most autos, the head is not supported. It cracked a grip and shattered the magazine follower of the 39 Smith (see, it was long ago). Other cases of the same headstamp were bulged in that area, but no others were.

I don't care what the sport, if you reload you owe it to yourself to learn the craft, separate the cases, inspect them, follow the data manuals, and use quality components. (I would much rather shoot "rapid" fire with a semi-auto as a dud won't let you send the next bullet into the base of one stuck in the barrel unless you're too stupid to check the barrel after a misfire. Shooting rapid with a revolver can if you are in a "crank and spray" mode...I worry for Jerry Michulek when the day comes that Magtech sends one to him without powder.

I have had one shotshell misfire and two handgun misfires with commercial centerfire ammo and many rimfire misfires, none of which resulted in a stuck bullet. I've witnessed quite a few squibs with stuck bullets when newbie reloaders shot in our pin matches.

Careful, cautious, and concern for those around you, please. After fifty-three years of reloading, fifteen of them commercially, I still don't know everything but I'm still careful and double, triple and sometimes triple check all data, settings, and components. I've never blown up a gun but I have pulled a few bullets and buried a few loads that just didn't seem right.

5. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Member

I think you don't need to love reloading to be safe. But, pay attention to what you are doing! If you have the mindset to rush and load as fast as you can..you WILL have problems. If time is that tight, then buy your ammo.
    Sometimes I love reloading. Sometimes I just do it because I am running out of shells. I always pay close attention.
    When loading just load, don't multitask! Take some pride in your efforts.

6. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Savage99stan

You mean something like this can happen. At my club and fortunately no one was injured,,,
    [​IMG]

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

what machine is the three minute man using ?

8. capvan

capvan Active Member

Dillon 1050 with a case feeder and KISS bullet feeder. Loading 9mm. All he does is pull the handle. Would try and go hydraulic but says he can do it faster.

9. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

My personal opinion is if you don't pay attention around guns sooner or later something bad will happen. Shooting, reloading, whatever. I've been doing it for 40 years and have never had any adverse problems.

It's kind of like trail riding in a Jeep in Moab UT. If you don't pay attention you can fall off a cliff, and even die. Or driving your Prius on the freeway while texting and the throttle goes ape.

But really, the people we are talking about here don't pay attention to much of anything, and probably voted for Obama too. So if their guns blow up maybe it is a good thing as they will be removed from the gene pool, or at the very least the sport, and if not, then maybe Obama will just take their guns away so the rest of us will be safe.

If you can't pay attention to what you are doing you have no business reloading anything, and really have no business shooting either. I'm not concerned with your safety in the slightest, but I am concerned for the safety of the people standing next to you.

They don't deserve you!

You know what? if you can't pay attention, maybe you should just go stand in the corner! You annoy me!

My .02!

Randy

10. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I thought of a good political reply for this thread but I dont want a nasty message from the moderators.

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.