1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you infected with Conficker?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Found a neat and quick test for determining if you are infected with that pesky, in the news, virus, Conficker.

Simply go to the website listed above and look for two rows of images. If you see both rows of three you are most likely NOT infected BUT if you do not see all the images you may want to check a bit more because you probably are infected.

Here is a link to a bit more detailed information.
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=3080&tag=nl.e539

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I also have several Macs but if you run Bootcamp. VMFusion or Parallels you can run Windows on a Mac and the Windows side could get caught.

3. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

I be wat'n fo da gubmint tu pay fo my dr bizit tu b chekd.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Macs are too expensive. If you want a less expensive alternative to Windows, try Ubuntu Linux.

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

nope...

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Why would one go to an unknown link and click on a program that will invade your PC to find out if you have this virus? Symantic and McAfee will detect it if it is in your PC. This seems like a good opportunity to GET the virus.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This was not a program, just how you view the information presented. No penetration of your computer is involved.

Worked for me.

HM

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

OMGB,

It is good to be questioning before going to a unknown, to you, link.

The quick "eyechart" test was from a known and reputable source. It also passed through my systems corporate virus checker and it also passed the ZDNet tests. In case you don't know about it, ZDNet is a division of Ziff Davis publishing. ZDNet is for those involved in information technology on a professional (or advanced amateur) basis. They have many different blogs and pages that relate to all aspects of technology. Some of those relate directly to computer security and malware.

In case you are interested, another good source is CNet.com. It also deals with technology but on a more consumer based level.

I do not post links to pages unless they have first passed through some virus/malware detecting software. Even then it must be to or from a site that has an established record for not passing malicious files.

You can do a Google (or my preferred more selective search engine, IXQuick) search on ZD Net if you want to get additional information.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

omgb

The websites are safe enough. It's an industry standard test to see if you have an issue. There are other more intrusive tests, but this is the simplest. Being able to access the images at those links usually means that the Conficker is not there. As for your false sense of security with the antivirus programs, the virus/worm usually interferes with the ability of such programs to update or detect and clean the malware. It also prevents Windows from updating through the usual methods.

10. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Not since the doc gave me a penacillin shot.

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Mine was clear. No problem with the site for me. Ray

12. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

OK, I tried it. I saw all of the images perfectly, especially the naked lady mouse pad images.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.