1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you having BLOOPERS on your reloads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

A friend was having BLOOPERS on some of his reloads on Straight Walled hulls w/ windjammer wads, it was because powder was migrating passed the powder cup
    as the was as .030-.045 smaller than the Reifenhauser Hull, I mic'd the wads and the interior of the shell, the windjammer measured .700 and the hull was
    .730 and a Federal 12C1 wad mic'd .740 and is by far a better straight walled hull wad, but you cannot get them anymore.

The Guialani wad is larger in diameter and is a better wad for bargain straight wall hulls.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Gary..... I have found that the Downrange F3 wad (Federal 12S3 replacement) works as well as anything I have tried when reloading Top Gun, Estates, Etc. They fit snugly, and the crimps are as nice as a factory crimp. Cheap to buy, too. Not one blooper in over 10,000 plus reloads.. Just my experience..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

I just checked Gamaliel Shooting Supply and they have a claybuster replacement wad for the 12C1 #3118AR has anybody ever tried this wad. I have a bunch of federal papers and just ran out of the 12C1 wads that came with them and I have been looking at that wad but nobody has ever tried in my area. Any body out there tried it?

George Ware

4. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

I use the claybuster #CB2118-12 (clone for Federal 12S3) in all my straight walled hulls. The overpowder cup measures the same diameter as the federal. I tried some downrange clones for the same Federal wad and the overpowder seal measured .010 smaller than the claybuster and original Federal and was scared I would have the problems listed above. I like the bigger diameter for better sealing, although some reloaders complain about the noise they make going through the wad guide on some loaders. I don't notice because I'm deaf anyway!

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have been using the CB3118-12AR on straight wall hulls ... works great!

ahab_2008_030331.jpg

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I had the same thing going on with my NEW PW2000 loader. I was using CB wads. I now have a 9000c Mec. and the problem stopped. The PW was putting the wad base in side ways and that is why I got bloopers. What loader is being used?

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Auctioneer- You have a problem with a broken wad guide or guide station adjustment on your PW.

Pat Ireland

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

THe hull he was having trouble with was just this one brand of hull and it was BROWN in color, I cut it open and it had a cupped plastic base, the powder filled the cup OK it was 19 Grains of Promo Powder, the windjammer wad was very loose in the hull, it was the Blue Windjammer.

My load with the same components in a TOP GUN HULL works very well and never a miss fire or BLOOPER.

Actually the TOP GUN is my hull of choice for reloading, there are lots of them around and I have several huge containers of them in my heated basement.
    This is my 1st shot shell in buddies.
    Rio reload for line back-up w/800-X
    Activ w/longshot for shootoffs

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Gualandi wads are great for Top Gun hulls. They will give you about 30 fps more veloity than a Federal 12SO with the same powder charge. Tha can only mean they seal better.

Jim Skeel

10. 1166

1166 Member

Who makes the GUALANDI wads

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Pat, it was brand new out of the box loader. I did replace the fingers on the wad guide and the problem was still there. I sent it back to the factory with less then 5000 rounds through it. It worked fine for a few hundered and the problem came back. I sold it for what ever I could get out of it.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Browning Boy

Yes, I have used the CB3118-12AR red "12C1" replacement. It is not a "Clone" of the 12C1, but a replacement. It is not identical or similar in form, but will work in the same applications. I would verify the data before loading, since it may not be the same as for the 12C1. It is a decent wad for straight walled hulls, but I'd rather use the 12S3 or 12S0 and clones. Claybusters had included some loading data with the wads at one time and the wad was listed in some of the older loading manuals from Alliant and maybe others. I haven't looked at the online data recently for them, but it's possible that it is still listed.

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I gave away 2500 CB-4118-12B because I was sick of 2-3 weak (laughable) shells per round. Went back to WT-12's and Fig-8's, not a one.....

14. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

You get what you pay for, want cheap-get cheap. That's why I use factory components!!!

15. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

thanks quackshot for your input.. I've finally chose to reload some federal papers for a super cap load, 23g of Unique with a DR F3 wad,

16. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

thanks quackshot for your input.. I've finally chose to reload some federal papers for a super cap load, 23g of Unique with a DR F3 wad,

17. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

Thanks Quack shot. I guess I'll just use a 12S3 wad until I come across another older shooter cleaning out his attic. I find some of the best stuff for reloading in the attics of older shooters.

George Ware

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Browning Boy

I keep mine in the basement. :)

19. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Quack Shot,

What is the diameter of those 3118s?

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

longshooter

Largest past of over powder cup diameter as measured by dial calipers. This is steel against plastic, so it's not as exact as an optical comparator or other measuring istrument better suited to soft materials. This should give you an idea of where they are. The 12C1 original over powder cup looks more rigid than the newer wads and appears to have a sharp edge that may increase the measured diameter. Just below that "edge" it measures about .005" less. The difference in height from the bottom of the shot cup to the top of the over powder cup is dramatic. The 12C1 is a good 1/8" shorter for the 12C1 when compared to the other wads, which aren't all that different in that dimension as viewed with the naked eye with the Remington somewhere in between.

Claybuster CB3118-12AR Measured several from .719" - .721"

Bottom of shot cup about .720"

Federal 12C1 Measured a few at .738" - .739"

Bottom of shot cup about .719"

Claybuster CB 2118-12 several at .728" - .730"

Bottom of shot cup about .712"

Remington Figure 8s several at .698" - .700"

Bottom of shot cup about .702" to .706"

From Left to Right Federal 12C1, CB3118-12AR, CB 2118-12, Remington Fig 8s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]