1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you happy you had your stock bent?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joey S., Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

I've noticed that my eyes do not line up with my beads when my head is straight up. I need to slightly cant my head over the comb in order to have my eye directly behind the beads. Would having the stock bent for cast off fix this? Also, if you have had your stock bent; were you satisfied? thanks, Joe S.

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Think about installing an adjustable butt plate.

Phil Berkowitz

3. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Stock bending is a mad science that I really don't understand. What I'm actually saying is that it is voodoo.

Some knuckle head bought my left handed MX-8. The deal was he was going to sell the wood and buy a right handed. But he instead talked the gunsmith out at Kiowa to bake it in a vice under those high intensity red heat lamps. Well the finish boiled and bubbled, and he kept tweaking the vice 1/4 turn every 4 hours for a couple days. Apparently they got it "bent" enough for him to give it a try, and sure enough it split through the wrist after a few shots.

They ganged up on me to send it back to Andrew Litt under a warranty claim which I did with great guilt feelings - only because I'm friends with the gunsmith and I was trying to get him out of a tight spot for whick he felt responsible. That is what peer pressure will do to a person. About 4 months later something did show back up as a replacement and I held my nose and gave it to them.

Seriously, Phil is right, cut the comb and install a moveable buttplate.

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

An adjustable butt plate won't fix what Joe has described. But he will need the adjustable butt plate if he can get the cast he needs on the stock. I wouldn't try to bend a stock. I get another stock.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Two guns done.

Both a waste of money.

http://tronspace.com/samples.aspx

Joe (Tron) did the K-80 off-set you can see on the above link on my Trap Special. It works very well.

I am averaging about 98 in singles. YMMV

Don Verna

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I don't know if stock bending is a "mad science", but it's certainly not an exact one. You can't bend a stock far. Bending one from a left hand cast to a right hand cast is too far. More than 1/4" is asking for trouble.

Still, a stock with the proper cast is a joy to shoot. I recommend looking at an aftermarket stock first.

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I had Jim Greenwood bend two Brownings for me. It solved my problems and they have stayed where he bent them to. i think it is a better solution than removing wood plus you can go in the other direction too.

Jim Skeel

8. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've been watching this thread's progression for a little while now and finally had to jump in. I've bent over 1000 stocks over the past 20 years with great success. It must work because so many of my clients are repeat customers.
    It seems that many shooters have to cant their guns and tip their heads over the top, even with adjustable combs and pads. If you've already tried those solutions with unsatisfactory results, bend it and you'll have that much more adjustment. Of course, you have to have a gun that can be bent, some can't.

Ed Yanchok

9. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

Ed, what determines wether a stock can or cannot be bent. Also, in your experience, once a stock has been bent will it spring back over time. thanks,
    Joe S.

10. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Like Mr.Yanchok,I've had at least 10 high end stocks bent to my measure over the years.If bending doesn't work,someone better tell the Brits as they have been doing it for well over 100 years.

11. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Guess you'd know more about it than me with that kind of experience. I've always wondered about the shotgun thru-bolt, and the success stories I've heard about , mostly British since comeone mentioned them is that the wood was bent and the bolt hole was filled and redrilled.

Ed - what part of the wood bends, the wrist? or actually the stock behind the wrist. If that can bend,... wow, I'm amazed that wood is more like plastic than i thought.

12. loop02

loop02 Member

Hollingsworth bent a MX 2000 stock for me about 3/8" or a 1/2". Still bent after 3 years. worked like a charm, but I would think you better know what you are doing. He had a jig he had made, he could go left/right, or up and down.

13. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Bending stock is one of many solutions of making a stock fit.

Most shooters didn't have the "proper" mount is the beginning of the problem. Insist on shooting with your neck straight UP is one of the main reason to make an otherwise perfect gun at fault.

In most cases mount your cheek forward on the stock is the easiest solution to avoid tilting your head over the other side of the stock. Unless you have a very thick chest & face, or frequently shooting driven birds over your head, you don't really need that much cast as you think.

14. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

SS most Brit SxS do not have bolts nor holes, and are the best candidates for bending.

It's not a black art, but it helps to know what you're doing, and if you screw up, it can be re-bent. I have had stocks bent, and I have built a jig and bent a few myself.

The wrist is where you can get the most action, of course, but you can: toe, cant, cast, etc. Sometimes it takes 2-3 passes if you want a lot of bend, or complex bend(s), and it is pretty permanent, but there is a bow to 'memory': if you want ΒΌ" cast-off, bend it 5/16 or 3/8 - than kind of stuff.

A thick wrist and a large draw-bold are not ideal candidates, but even there, you can get 'some'.

If you'll PM me your email address, I can send a .pdf from Mike Orlen, an article he wrote for ~DGJ~.

Bob

15. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

Bob, You have a PM. thanks, Joe S.

16. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

My two SXS are both bent English stocks, no through bolt, and I can shoot them well. They mount properly every time. These are my bird guns but one is also used for trap.
    Jack

17. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Un-inletted stocks, like Lujtic, Seitz, and Model 12s, can not be bent. I need an inletted stock, like Perazzi, Krieghoff, Browning, and Berettas to "bend". What I'm actually doing is stretching/expanding the woodfibers on one side and compressing them on the other, which explains why I can't bend them up and down as much as I can left and right. I have not had one "Go back" yet. I did have one fellow gain fifty lbs and thought that it had reverted to it's original measurements. Some people have been mis-diagnosed as to their need for a bent stock so they figure that it will not help. Bending is not a magic cure for all of your shooting problems, just a possible aid to proper gun fit.

Ed Yanchok

18. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

An adjustable comb would solve the problem and it does not weaken the stock.

19. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Basically Ed, it sounds like you've found a way to warp the wood, a controlled warp, in the direction and the amount that you want. If you are doing this comercially, I have a stock I need to get bent.

20. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

Ed Y bent one for me, because it had cast-off and I shoot left handed. It was MUCH cheaper than a new stock. He also put an adjustable comb and butt-plate on at the same time, and did a fine job of it. Some folks think I'm nuts to shoot quail with a gun that looks like that, but it fits now, and quail hunting is fun again.

Jed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.