1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you a Spot Shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I used to be more of a spot shooter but in these last 5 years I am not shooting as fast as I used to.

I personally believe a spot shooter is more precise in his shooting, I would say that the best spot shooter I ever saw was Britt Robinson.

Gary Bryant
    DR.longshot

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Some really precise, fast shooters may appear to be spot shooting, but that's just how fast they can acquire, track and smoke a target.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The only true target you can spot shoot is the first bird in doubles. You know where the spot is, if you pay attention to prior birds. The rest of the birds, you need to shoot at the spot where the bird is going to be, after seeing the bird come out, but that really isn't the definition of spot shooting. Mark

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Bonafide, true blue "spot shooters" were for the most part eliminated with the interrupter attachment installation on traps. What was created then was the "zone shooter.

Britt by no means was a "spot shooter". He one of the sharpest reaction/recognition skill sets that ever existed in our sport.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Martin, you too probably watched the 1988 GAH shoot-off which Britt won from the 27 at night with a perfect 25. The crowd - and there was a crowd - was wondering "Did a target actually come out? All I see is a puff of smoke over the roof of the traphouse!"

Neil

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I do spot the target when I'm looking for it, then shoot it. Most of the time I hit it. Sometimes I don't. God, I need to take a nap.............

7. drgondog

drgondog Member

Britt was not a spot shooter, nor gravestock, nor bonillas, etc.

Spot shooters die in windy conditions and miss center box pigeons often.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I bet leopards go into hiding when there is a spot shooter nearby.

9. Dr.Longshot

A spot shooter in my mind and definition is I see the target I make my move and I know where I am going to shoot it.

I am talking about Hdcp and singles only.

If you follow that bird to it's peak then shoot I do not call that a spot shooter by my definition.

When I see the bird I used to make my move and shoot and I knew the spot where I was going to shoot it, I actually passed the target and fired, I used to shoot quick for about 30 years or so.

Never as fast as Britt, and Gravestock. But pretty quick. I held a level gun when I called for the target and only made left and right moves or no move.

I wish I had those years back, and probably many of you also wish that.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Thats not spot shooting Gary.

11. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

NO! IS THIS GOING INTO THE ATF DATA BASE?

12. Dr.Longshot

Pheasant shooter what is your defination of a spot shooter?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. likes-to-shoot

I can't speak for pheasantmaster but in my mind a spot shooter holds his gun at a particular spot and shoots the bird as it flies to that spot without moving his gun.

14. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Spot shooting is shooting with no follow thru......

15. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

To me a spot shooter is shooting at a spot in front of the target in order to get the leade needed. Could also be called 'sustained leade'. At least that's the way I shot them.

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Good shot Neal. One of the fastest I have witnessed is Eric Munson and he has gun movement. He is fun to watch shoot. His pattern is quite tight at the time of target impact.

17. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

First shot in doubles maybe or in some skeet targets. In Trap you can't shoot at a spot and hope the target comes out at the angle your holding for. I think some of the best shooters are so fast it appears they are spot shooting but they are just fast. Like watching a frog eating flies so fast it's hard to see WTF just happened.

18. likes-to-shoot

That is just about as fast as my grandpa, he was so fast that when he stood in the bedroom door he could shut off the light and get undressed, get in bed covered up and asleep before it got dark.

19. Dr.Longshot

Neal Crausbay you and I are on the same page, and that is the way I have shot for 44+ years.

When the target comes out I get on it with a sustained lead and release the trigger.

I know in my mind where I am going to break that bird.

I shoot well before a targey peaks.

Thanks for your input Neal

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Spot shooter=no diagonal or vertical movement. Look under barrel for target, slap trigger at appropriate time.

Trapper= close to above but with vertical movement allowance.

Gary, all your doing is the same as Kay and Harlan along with most of their students and a good many others.

PS my mentor was a true spot shooter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is spot shooting bad in trap

shotgun spot shooter