1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ARE YOU A HOARDER?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Even though I cant stand to watch the tv show "hoarders"..it has made my life easier.. I cant seen to throw away empty 5 gallon buckets or short pieces of wire, I have 2 gun safes crammed full of long guns and now when my wife ask me why I have a bucket full of spent primers in my loading room I just tell her I'm a hoarder and SMILE...LOL..

2. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Tell her you are going to get a Corbin die set and make .25ACP bullets out of the spent primers...Grubby (ps told mine that, and it didn't fly..)

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My ex-wife was the ultimate hoarder. I gave her an option-me or her junk. Guess what she chose!!

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A lot of us gun guys are hoaders. I have a thing for old shotgun shells and .22 ammo. Got cases of the stuff all over the place. Can't seem to divest myself of any kind of brass whether I actually load it or not. Can't force myself to sell or trade off guns either, just buy more.

This is why we have the 'man cave'.

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I must be.

I have to have at least 25,000 once fired STS in the house...and I'm still picking them up when I find them.

The 25k is in addition to the almost 40 flats of loaded ammo I have on hand at any one time...

I tell folks I don't really like to shoot trap, I like to pick up empties and reload.

6. psfive

psfive Member

I must be, gave away 2000 new style AA's. Quickly replaced them with STS's & Nitro 27's. I have totes (lots of them) full, I'll never use the all. I don't think I have near enough. Paul

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I am not as bad as my wife, her stuff takes up more room than my stuff, but I have problems. I can't make myself throw away old hunting, fishing, camping, dog training, and shooting stuff that I will never use. You never know when you might need it.

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Jeff P, I really like to shoot but don't really like to reload, maybe as a team we could work it out........

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I am a hoarder --only problem is I can't find the stuff when I need it--Left my K-80 at the club gun rack one day and got home before I missed it---we have the best guys---Can U imagine the phone call---they still laugh at me---sjb---

10. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I always ask myself, "Has this item served a purpose in my life in the last 6 mos., if not it's off to Good Will." Kim

11. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I must be the ultimate "anti-hoarder". If I don't shoot it, I sell it. If I don't ride it anymore, it's gone. I prefer empty spaces in my house to stuff. I don't buy shelves because I hate having stuff lying on them.

My motto "When in doubt, throw it out".

In all honesty, I don't miss any possessions from my past.

Not accumulating has kept my mind free of dealing with stuff. I have enough to worry about without insuring, cleaning, storing, maintaining, organizing, hiding, moving, and just plain looking at stuff.

But, we are all different. So, ya just have to do what works for you.

bluedsteel

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

No, I'm a prepper.

Buy it cheap stack it deep.

13. stillmisses

stillmisses TS Member

I have a new rule for the last several years. If I don't use it within three years, out it goes. The wife still has a couple months to go.
    Snicker snicker

14. Mapper

Mapper Member

Far be it from me to cast stones at those who retain things. Just off the top, I have a new forend for a S&W revolving rifle(I think), a new 1917 Enfield bbl, and a Robert Bosch mag for a 1930s sprinter. I do not own anything that any of this junk will fit on. And there's more.

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I'm with Shannon....I buy (and have bought) reloading components when I feel the price is right.

I use approx. 20-25 bags of shot and 30 flats of new shells on a yearly average. Presently I have approx. 500 bags of shot, 4 - 8# kegs of powder, 20k primers, 25k wads and over 150 new flats of shells in stock.

I kept buying when the prices were favorable. The shells (Estates & Top Guns) I bought at $28 & $29 per flat), the shot averages out to $18 per bag. At my present rate I'll probably never use it all (as I do keep buying from time to time) by the time I get planted, but it's there if I need it or decide to sell and liquidate.

It's not hoarding, merely preparing.

Curt

16. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Hey Curt, Any chance of making it into your will(not that I want you checking out any time soon)?

Rich (needing shooting supplies) in Indiana

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Twice a year have a garage sale, then you will have room for more stuff and money to buy it. HMB

18. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Did you really mean to write 500 bags of shot? .... 500 25# bags? That is a bunch?!? Like about $21,000 worth in the current market.

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Yes...slightly over 500 bags. All 25#, mostly West Coast magnum 7-1/2's.

Curt

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

That's my kind of hoarding Curt! Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.