1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you a "Club Geezer" who is hurting the sport?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GW22, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Steve's Shooting Ettiquette post got me thinking... The idiots who intimidate new shooters and perpetuate the decline of trap shooting probably have no clue that they are ridiculous jerks. Maybe a simple quiz would help these Club Geezers realize it's them! (Please don't be offeneded by the word "Geezer." I've got my own gray hairs. It's just that in my experience the jerks are usually old, cranky, and looking for excuses because their shooting skills are declining)

Anyway, here we go...

OFFICIAL "CLUB GEEZER" QUIZ:

Please HONESTLY answer these 13 simple Yes/No questions to find out if you are part of the problem:

1) Have you not made any new friends at the trap range in the past five years?

2) Did your best trap gun cost over 10X more than your first car, and yet you haven't broken 25 straight targets in the past three months?

3) Has anyone's ignorant behavior "cost you a target" in the past three months?

4) Do you silently scoff when you see someone new at your club?

5) If you see someone shooting a Mossberg or H&R, do you wonder why they don't just put the barrel in their mouth?

6) Does most of your extended family try to avoid spending time with you?

7) Would you rather roll your eyes and walk away snobbishly, than explain basic terminology to a new shooter?

8) Does everyone seem like an "@sshole" except you and your little circle of friends?

9) Does a guy teaching his wife/girlfriend how to shoot absolutely make your blood boil?

10) Do people shooting Semi-Autos annoy you, even if a hull honestly never lands within two feet of you?

11) Do you feel superior when you talk down to newbies, or embarrass them?

12) Have you not gotten ____ since the Clinton administration?

13) and finally, the BIG QUESTION (BE HONEST!)... did reading this quiz annoy you?

SCIENTIFICALLY VALID SCORING:

If you answered affirmatively to question 13, or to three or more of the other 12 questions, then CONGRATULATIONS!... you are a big jerk and are part of the problem! Please stop shooting trap and stay home and torture your poor wife instead. After all -- she picked you, ya jerk, we didn't!

-Gary :)

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Are you a

Trolling. dangerous to your longevity as a TS.com poster.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Are you a

No, Jack -- this is a well-intentioned post. Jerks are driving away new shooters and hurting the sport and they need to realize it.

If we also get a few laughs with a little quiz, what's the harm?

Sincerely,

Gary

PS: I removed one word from question 12 to ensure that I don't annoy the moderator.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Are you a

GW.Don't worry about me. I am just chummin the chum

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Are you a

Yep. He's a troll.

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Are you a

Gary:
    i enjoyed taking your quiz. i passed, but answered yes to #6. my friend luther said that i am still in A-hole in his eyes.
    steve balistreri

7. pfofml

pfofml Member

Are you a

GW22, Thank you for your post. Agreed, if your answer is yes to any of the questions, then you maybe part of the problem rather than the solution. I am of the "gesszer" age and respect your intentions.
    Peter Falk III

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Are you a

What I don't get is how newbies are all but ignored, but then when they load their shotguns up completely and shoot four or five shots at one bird, then everyone goes into a panic. Why didn't anyone step in to help them when they first showed up? All it would take is the person taking their money to ask if they've shot there before and either handing them a rules sheet, telling them the rules, or asking a club member to help them would have taken care of that.

I showed up at a gun range once that I had never been to, and almost got kicked out for a small technical violation. I was asked why I didn't abide by the rules. What rules? The ones posted on the side of the building. Show me. Turns out that when the entrance doors are open, they cover up the rules. Anyone new to the range would never see them. Yet no one said a word until a range officer looked over at me. (The rule was if the gun was not in a case it had to be broken down, meaning it had to be field stripped. I only had a chamber flag in it.)

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Are you a

Steve, LOL -- Good friends and brothers are allowed to call you an A-hole. That's just basic Guy-Code conduct!

-Gary

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Are you a

Do some of you guys just need a buddy hug? ........Or something?

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Are you a

Spank,

For sensitive newbies, a nice skeeter "butt patt" usually does the trick.

For the really "sensitive" types, we purchased hazelnut muffins & peach-scented "wet wipes" for the rest rooms (but some really sensitive ones complained about having to go into the restroom to get their free muffin).

...Since we moved the muffins next to the coke machine, we've gone from our traphouses getting shot 30+ times a month down to 20, so it must have helped.

You just have to know how to deal with these people.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Are you a

Come on, skeet2day -- the Club Geezers may be hurting trap but you can't blame them for driving you to skeet. Besides, I read somewhere that you're born that way.

-Gary

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Are you a

This thread is starting to get good. It's your turn skeet2day, make it count.

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Are you a

Man, I confused now............... I've been shooting more skeet as of lately along with trap. To get this right........I buddy hug a guy at trap having a bad day and butt patt a guy having a downer at skeet..............I hope I don't get them mixed up.

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Are you a

This bi-skeetual stuff is a myth. You're either one or the other!

-Gary

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Are you a

Jack I think his rotten potty mouth is more of a detriment to his longevity on this forum. Some of the joke alone he has been posting will cost him.

He take this as a slam if he wants that up to him. Just a word to the wise clean up your act.

Bob Lawless

17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Are you a

Welcome, Quotation Geezer!

-Gary

18. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Are you a

How would you handle it when a seasoned shooter who has helped many over the years starts to do foolish things? Throwing his gun during competition is an example. Ron

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Are you a

Ron: Throwing a gun is pretty over the top. My opinion is that mgt should issue a strong warning and his friends should talk to him. I had an old friend who got pretty belligerent with age, but he was a good guy and I could still talk sense to him once he calmed down. Case-by-case I guess.

-Gary

20. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Are you a

GW22, I think you may have stepped on some "Geezer" toes already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.