1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you a city boy or a country boy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Big Heap, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Another thread has a lot of stories about pitching hay. Trapshooting attracts many farm folk, in our area, because there were enough locals in a small town to build a two trap layout but not enough for a golf course.

Some of us are both city and country. I enjoyed the farm life driving truck on wheat harvest - for two trapshooting farmer friends. The food was fantastic!

2. 687EELL

687EELL TS Member

Big Heap,

Grew up in Baltimore City, Maryland a few blocks from Fort McHenry. First house I bought was at 532 E. Fort Ave. Could look out my front door and see my parents house 3 blocks down. Sure wish I would have stayed there, but you know how wives are...we need a yard for the kids to play, when there was a nice park only 2 blocks away. I was a life guard at the pool in this park during the summers of 1960, 1961, 1962. ................Rick Johnson

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

City boy. Toronto Canada.

We had a farm we rented out. One year my dad had me work with the people who rented it for two weeks during hay season. Never will forget the hard work stacking bales in the barn and the wonderful aroma of hay.

Don Verna

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

A NYC boy then a Chicago boy now a Ft. Lauderdale boy. Can't sleep without the drone of traffic outside. Everybody has to be someplace.

Eric

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

City boy but the alure of country living has me in its grasp

6. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Country Boy here...born and raised in Western Maryland...not quite in the sticks...but close.

Scott

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Born in the city, raised in the country, went back to the city for work but continued to live in the country ... Now, I live on what was once the edge of the desert when I moved here but those days are long gone and there are houses and stores every where ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Oh ya I'm city, BIG DANG CITY!

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Country boy. In 1977, our local banks phone number was #1. Yep, thats it, #1. Got dial phones in 1978. Raised Sugar beets, corn, wheat, tomatoes, hogs chickens. As a kid, I damn near broke mom and dad with the cost BB's and .22's
    Grew up on a 80 cow dairy farm. I've pulled more t-t's than Carters have liver pills.

10. Scotty585

Scotty585 Member

Country boy!!! Upstate NY. Adirondacks to the Lake Plains. Worked in cities all my life, just cant go home to one.

11. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Sun sets between me and civilization (and it'll stay that way).

12. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I live two miles north of a 100 thousand person area. Champaign, Urbana and the University of Illinois campus. Small subdivision of about 20 homes and surrounded by corn fields. I one day want to live in the country without close neighbors and a town close by. My grandfather and three of my uncles were farmers and in the late 50's and early 60's I was the roving haymaker for them. Cheap labor all I needed was a cot and fed. I thought I was in heaven putting up hay with the older guys. About all there is to it anymore is the large bales. Not many mess with the small bales anymore. I do know one guy and he says it's harder every year to find kids to throw the small bales. I do know that its' harder every year to find fense-rows to hunt and get the permission to do so. Dan

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Gotta have a third choice; born and raised small town boy. Always loved the country part and still hate the cities....Bob Dodd

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Small town country boy. Trapping, hunting, fishing and shooting guns occupied all my time. Not much love for schoolin' and it showed. We used to start our small game hunting party in my parents back yard-yeah, real pheasants.

Same area, 40 years later and what's a field or a real pheasant!!

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Suburbanite boy with stints in the country and city???

I'm sooo confused-- but the Pheasantman already knows that.

Guy B.

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I grew up 13mi away from a town of less than 1,000 people. There were 52 in my graduating class. I guess you could call me a country boy.

ss

17. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I grew up in a VERY small town (it was only there on tuesdays and thursdays)and enjoyed it. The big outdoors has a feel all its own.

BB

18. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Grew up in A town of 700 people and have lived the last 43 years 3 miles outside of that town. Always worked as A teenager on farms. Own 40 acres and plan to stay here. I still roll down the window when I pass A new mown hayfield. I too, love the smell of hay.
    Roy

19. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Born and raised on the family dairy farm, 4th generation to farm the land. Damn tough to keep a dairy farm going these days, so I work in the city. Still living on the farm though, own 80 acres of it. My Mother owns the adjoining 80 acres. So I have 160 acres to hunt and fish on. Pheasants, turkeys, deer, rabbits, squirrels, northern pike, walleye, etc. Yeah, I'll put up with the 50 mile (one-way) commute.

Dan

20. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Small town boy (2300) until I could leave home. Found a smaller town (300) Got married and became a nasty logger (thats what eco's say) when it colapsed, I spent the next 12 years working and running a 2000 acre cattle ranch. It went south so I went back to what I did best, logging.

the only good tree is a stump!

Wore myself out, so now I will become a city boy. Lib's took my livlihood away so now they can take care of me! SSD $ L&I

Yahoo!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.